How to make whipped cream?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can anyone offer me some advice on making whipped cream?

I bought heavy whipping cream and all, what I mainly need to know is about sweetening the cream.

The last few years I didn't with making Mom's birthday cake and it tasted ok, but she's requesting it sweetend a bit this year!

I've picked up my Grandmother's tradition of making her a chiffon cake covered with whipped cream and marchino cherries. It's really pretty and super yummy!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is an easy recipe I found for whipped cream.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
In a chilled small mixing bowl and with chilled beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Store in the refrigerator.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

Here is an easy recipe I found for whipped cream.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
In a chilled small mixing bowl and with chilled beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Store in the refrigerator.
That's basically it. Be sure your bowl and beaters are very very clean, any oil at all will kill the cream. Also, a metal bowl works best too, it gets colder.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found this, it may halp as well.

Heres the link
http://www.kitchenhintsandtips.com/h...ed_cream.shtml

Home made whipped cream is a real treat for dessert and quite simple to make.

About 30 minutes before you are ready to make your whipped cream refrigerate your bowl and beaters. (Or you can freeze for 10 minutes)

Place the desired amount of heavy cream into the cool bowl.

Using your mixer of choice beat the cream just until you can see soft mounds appear and when you pull out the beater you see soft peaks forming.

Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to every cup of cream that you placed in the bowl.

Mix once again just until the sugar and vanilla are incorporated well.

Do not mix fresh whipping cream too long, or it will turn into butter.

Serve immediately by generously spooning onto your dessert.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For sure, chilling the bowl and beaters really make a difference. I whip my cream by hand with a balloon whisk (a piano whisk is not advised). You'll get almost double the volume and it really doesn't take long at all. My hubby thought I was nuts the first time he saw me do it, but came to see the method to my madness.
I usually just use granulated white sugar and pure vanilla extract in mine. I like the idea of the confection sugar though.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure I could be of much help making it----but if you need help eating it, then I'm here to help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

For sure, chilling the bowl and beaters really make a difference. I whip my cream by hand with a balloon whisk (a piano whisk is not advised). You'll get almost double the volume and it really doesn't take long at all. My hubby thought I was nuts the first time he saw me do it, but came to see the method to my madness.
I usually just use granulated white sugar and pure vanilla extract in mine. I like the idea of the confection sugar though.
What is a piano whisk? I've never heard of that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The difference between a piano whisk and a balloon whisk is the distance between the wire loops. A piano whisk will have all the wires about the same size, meeting at the end which work wonderfully for whisking out lumps in sauces, puddings, etc.

The balloon whisk on the other hand is made with different size loops which leave a space between each loop and allows air to be incorporated into the whipped cream which in turn increases the volume.

Just as a side note, when beating egg whites, if you add a touch of baking powder it will make them easier to form. If you use a copper bowl (which really is the best way to beat egg whites) then you don't need the baking powder as the chemical reaction between the egg whites and the copper bowl does the same thing as adding the baking powder to a non-copper bowl.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make a low fat whipping cream.

I have one of the Braun hand blenders with an airator attachment and I use about 1/4 cup of ice cold skim milk (has to be ice cold and has to be skim). I add 2 teaspoons of Splenda and then use the airator to whip it into whipped cream.

You add just a pinch of cream of tartar if you want a more stiff "cream". But I leave it out.

It's yummy! I have it over berries usually. And the nice thing is because it's fat free and only 1/4 of a cup of milk, I can have all 2 cups of the "whipped cream" if I want to

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This question reminded me of a funny story. When I was in 7th or 8th grade we had to take home economics and of course part of it was learning to cook. One lesson we had was making homemade whipped cream.

The teacher whipped it all up and it looked so tasty. She asked who wanted to try and of course my sweet tooth made my hand shoot straight in the air. She grabbed a spoon and scooped out a large blob and handed me the spoon. I popped it in my face and
there was no sugar in it yet

Learned a life lesson there!

You think I would have learned about sweeting things when my mom let me have the "Bakers Chocolate" I was begging for when I was four

I think the thing tramatized me so much I never did remember that recipe