I need some advise on how to handle this

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SO, I hve started a pretty little garden in pots on my patio. We live on the first floor and have people above us. I try very hard not to over water and take good care of my plants. The problem is the girl upstairs seems to think its okay to water her plants everyday. HErs are dying and look horrrable. She thinks the more water the better they will be. This is where my problem is. Everytime she waters hers she lets the tray under the pots overflow and the water comes down into my pots and all over y patio. Almost everyday I think its raining there is so much water. My plants are starting to suffer. They are getting to much water. I have started using plant food for them but can't use it because if I try to water them they will die. I tried moving the plants around but its not working.

How do I tell her to stop with out coming across as b with an itch? My DH says I should tell her to water hers in the bathtub. Make it seem like thats what I do. I also don't like seeing her plants suffer. Plus she has two patios, one in front and one in back. I only have the one in back. I get no sun so I spent time finding out what plants do best. I talked to her BF and he said she just went and got any plant she liked. The ones she has need full sun. Should I point this out and get her to move them to the front side where they will get the sun they need.

How do I go about it, I really never talk to her, she annoys me.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How come your DH tells you what you should go and say to her? If he has an idea of how it should be approached, why doesn't he go and say it to her himself instead of telling you what to do?

Sorry if that sounds harsh
no offence intended

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

How come your DH tells you what you should go and say to her? If he has an idea of how it should be approached, why doesn't he go and say it to her himself instead of telling you what to do?

Sorry if that sounds harsh
no offence intended
None taken

I am no good at confrontation. I need to have a well thought out plan before I go and talk to her. If I just went and said something I would really come across as a b with an itch. I have no idea how to handle it. We were talking a few days ago when I went out to feed my plantts and just lost it. I was shaking I was so mad. He was just giving me ideas on what to say and how to handle it. He did say he would say something to her BF. The two of them talk all the time about skateboarding. I told him, no this is something I need to do. If I can't do something like this hten how an I suppose to handle big things? I just need ideas on how to go about it. Like I said I am no good at something like that. Not in person anyway.

Would a note be okay?
mmmmm, there is the passive aggresive thing in me again.

I need to John Wayne it. Pull up my britches and handle it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you tell her that she's soaking your patio, and could she please use planter saucers under her plants or watch the water a bit? Don't mention that she's killing your plants and her own yet, that might make her a bit defensive.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries, I understand because I am very similar
Yep the whole passive aggressive thing I do that, I am not that good at approaching people appropriately, get overheated in potentially confrontational situations
Sorry about my initial response, trust me I get where you're coming from

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, here's what you can do: go visit her with a package of plant food in hand and say, "I noticed your plants aren't doing too well, and I thought maybe this would help. And by the way... I think you might be giving them too much water." Oh, she'll say, how do you know that? "Well, it's overflowing and watering my plants, too," you reply with a little laugh.

If you can, you guide the conversation ino plant care, the "full sun" issue, etc. If she isn't receptive, you say, "I wonder... if I went and found a nice big mat, would you consider putting it on your balcony so the water won't drip through?"

And if that doesn't reach her... then you might ask the apartment manager if you can hang a sort of awning (vinyl banner material from a sign shop would work great) underneath her balcony, angled to drip to the outside...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I was thinkin' about the awning or something like that myself. Maybe you could use a piece of plastic (like the plastic drop cloth they sell at Wal*Mart)...to protect your plants from her over-watering and yet it'll still allow your plants to get sunshine. You could maybe attach it somehow to your patio to make it fit like an awning. That's what I'd do before a confrontation...being that I'm not good at stuff like that myself and am a reeeeally shy person to begin with.

Good luck sweets...
Hilda>^..^<

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you build a little gutter system right above your plants? If she ever asks why, then you can tell her.

Just trying to help with the passive agressivenes...