Harley- breathing funny.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, another vet trip calls us

Harley has been breathing really heavily lately, and seems really lathargic, tired all the time
He's making some weird sounds when he breaths, and just isn't his normal self
He hasn't been eating all of his wet food, but he's been drinking and eating some dry okay.

So, hopefully next week we can get him into the vet to get him checked out. Our vet is going to make a fortune off of us!
I'm afraid that he's going to tell us that we have to put him on a diet, which I'm not sure of because he's not fat- he's just BIG... and he doesn't eat THAT much in the first place to make him overweight. He's always been a big boy

Any good vibes for my big boy would be much appreciated

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awwwww. you don't deserve this right now. Hopefully it's just some minor bug and he'll be over it soon

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Harley feels better..It's so terrible when our "kids" get sick..More healing vibes being sent your way...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Maybe he has a URI. Most shelter cats come home with them.
He didn't come home from the shelter. Bayley did. We've had Harley for almost 2 years, since he was 8 weeks old

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Sweetie - all of these except the heavy breathing are signs of depression.
And it could be the breathing is his way expressing it instead of vocalizing.

Here's a link on it: http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-83.htm

Even if it is just depression, a vet visit is in order just to make sure.

Laurie
I was totally thinking that

I'm going to read that link now... thanks Laurie, your amazing

ETA:
I spend as much quality time with him as much as possible.... as much as he'll let me. A lot of the time he's in the bedroom sleeping
He's not out in the living room as much as he used to be, but when he is, he's just sitting at the patio door looking out.
He doesn't play with Bayley much, only when Bayley starts to play first

Maybe it was wrong to bring Bayley in so soon? I thought it would have helped him

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

He didn't come home from the shelter. Bayley did. We've had Harley for almost 2 years, since he was 8 weeks old
Ah I'm sorry, I got them confused.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Maybe it was wrong to bring Bayley in so soon? I thought it would have helped him
It was NOT wrong, please don't second guess yourself, Kenz. Everything, good and bad, happens for a reason, and Bayley NEEDED you.

It is completely understandable that Harley, just like yourself, will take time to heal emotionally, and though he likes the new kid, he is still grieving, poor guy.

I'm glad you're taking him to the vet ASAP - but please call an emergency vet if he goes into distress. It sounds like he'll be ok, as long as he is still eating & drinking.

Major
and lots of vibes that Harley can get past this rough patch, and that he is OK other than feeling grief. Lots of purrs and headbutts coming from Ginger and Ferris, too.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Even then, it's possible that Bayley could have brought home some germs from the shelter. Just a thought. Although depression seems likely. I hope both of your boys get to feeling better soon.

ETA: Not eating the wet food as well...that was something Harley did with Davidson. Maybe that makes it not as enjoyable now that he's missing his buddy. Maybe pick him up another type of food...something different, change the routine a bit. I don't know...just an idea.

I don't think you did the wrong thing bringing Bayley home either. Please don't doubt yourself. It will just take more time for everyone to adjust.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I was totally thinking that

I'm going to read that link now... thanks Laurie, your amazing

ETA:
I spend as much quality time with him as much as possible.... as much as he'll let me. A lot of the time he's in the bedroom sleeping
He's not out in the living room as much as he used to be, but when he is, he's just sitting at the patio door looking out.
He doesn't play with Bayley much, only when Bayley starts to play first

Bayley found you, and it was meant to be. Harley has to grieve in his own way. Consider this - what he's going through may have been worse if you didn't have Bayley with you now.

I'd still get Harley to the vet just to make sure. But don't fret about whether you did the right thing bringing Bayley home now. He's helping you and John, he may be helping Harley in his own way, and Bayley needs you.

Laurie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just in the bedroom w/ Harley brushing him, his favorite pasttime besides sleeping
And he let me brush him for a good 10 minutes

But... while I was brushing him, I noticed he does have a runny nose and a few times he looked like he was trying to cough up a hairball, but nothing would come up?
Is there something I can give him for that? Maybe something to help the hairball come up... I hope he didn't eat anything wierd- we don't have anything odd like rubber bands/string or ribbon laying around

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read Sharkey's post in this forum, http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118968 and now I'm all paranoid. His tongue isn't swollen, is it? When did he start the heavy breathing?

Most likely he's got an upper respiratory infection. Could be Bayley brought the germs home from the shelter, and Harley's immune system isn't functioning as well as normal because of depression - and he was just coughing, not trying to cough up a hairball.
It could also be that he's just got the URI, and he's not depressed! All I know is, if his breathing gets any worse, I'd get him to the vet as soon as you can.

Laurie

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that Harley isn't feeling well. Poor baby. Here are some hugs and get well soon vibes for him.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I just read Sharkey's post in this forum, http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118968 and now I'm all paranoid. His tongue isn't swollen, is it? When did he start the heavy breathing?

Most likely he's got an upper respiratory infection. Could be Bayley brought the germs home from the shelter, and Harley's immune system isn't functioning as well as normal because of depression - and he was just coughing, not trying to cough up a hairball.
It could also be that he's just got the URI, and he's not depressed! All I know is, if his breathing gets any worse, I'd get him to the vet as soon as you can.

Laurie
No, its not. His breathing... um, I've just noticed it today, along with him acting like he was trying to cough something up?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sending for Harley. He may have a respiratory infection, be reacting to stress, or have "hay" fever.