So many cats, so little time

puckinthedeep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first experiences with cats were with the neighborhood out door cats as a kid. "Grey" was my first fall over kitty. We lived in New Jersey at the time in a garden apartment on the second floor. You could call Grey's name from any window, and as long as he recognized your voice he would flop on his back to await attention and physical contact. Grey was a lovely ole boy who loved his humans in return.

Grey taught me many things about cats such as:
Rolling on the back IS NOT an invitation to rub their belly, unless you want cat bites to the hand and your forearm raked by their claws
That cats remember; If they like you the mear sight or sound of your voice, even at a distance, will evoke a positive reaction.
Cats are rather jealous and protective over "their" human pride.

One time while I was scratching a neighbor's loveable sheepdog named "Poopsie" (Stupid name for a dog, but it wasn't my dog!) and came over, jumped up on my leg, reared up on his back legs and hauled off and belted Poopsie right on the nose. Satisfied that the "job" was done he jumped down and ambled off.

Later in life, while in college, we had a kitten, Stacy in polite company, "Stayfree" in less, while I was living with 8 other guys in an off campus house. One guy, Todd, hated the cate and tormented the poor thing incessantly. He was a big guy and would yell at the cat at the top of his lungs; scaring the poor thing so baddly that it would race at top speed, often running along the walls to get out.

At the end of the spring semester, on the last days she was with us she got rather sick with violent diarrhea. She went only one place to relieve herself, Todd's room. When we got back to our house after classes we were assaulted with an oder that made us wonder if the cat had died and rapidly decomposed.

We all went into the house to look for our wayward kitty, Todd, not caring going to his room. A few seconds later screams of rage eminated from Todd's bedroom and we all went running. The smell was revealed to have been Stacy having relieved herself on every horizontal surface in Todd's room. She then trodd through it and used her paws to touch every horizontal surface in her reach.

It took Todd 8 hours to clean his room and about two weeks to get the stench out.

I sternly warned Todd to leave the cat alone when we found her on pain of serious injury from at least me if not everyone else in the house because he had gotten what he had deserved.

Years later, after being married, we got our latest two pets, who are now about 6 and a half years old. Two red males, brothers from the same litter. Great boys! We love them to death, and are going to get another cat, a kitten of some kind in the next few weeks so our two little girls (soon to be 9 and 6 respectively) can experience kittenhood for themselves.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!

I agree, Todd definitely got what he deserved, and good for Stacy!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Love the college room mate story. I'm very partial to red cats, partial to brothers and love the combination of red brothers! We do love pictures (hint).

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and a warm welcome
Its great here, theres always lots to do and see and theres always someone on hand for those kitty-type queries

Looking forward to seeing some photos
we just love photos here

Enjoy the forums !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puckinthedeep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Welcome to TCS!

Love the stories of Grey and Stacy!

What are your boys' names?
Castor and Pollux, the (Gemini Twins from Mythology)
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Hola y bienvenido a TCS!..

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS!!!...
..)

See you on the forums!
Yep, knew what it meant!
Mucha gracias mi amigo/a (There, I right exhausted my knowledge of spanish!
)

I told my wife the other day that I knew we were going to get another cat in the near future, I am already set to move on it, that I was just waiting for her to acknowledge that she had arrived at the same mental place I was already in!

I also told her that I had the name for the new cat picked out: Orion, in keeping with the mythological naming theme we had going for our pets (Andromeda and Percius for our cockatiels, one who passed last spring) and the boys. The reason for that particular name? I told her "Cause the new kitty's gonna light a fire under our boy's collective arses!!"

Thing is that all our pets are very enamoured of us, allowing us to grossly manipulate them in almost any way we see fit, because they know we would never hurt them and we treat them very well. The only problem is that none of them really like other humans for the most part or other animals. The bird hates the cats, tollerating them only outside of a 6 inch range that she has permitted over the years. She will not tolerate any other animals in the same room and wont go to any humans other then my wife and I. One cat tends to run from most people and one will bite after hissing and growling as a warning and the cats hate other cats and dogs. They treat other animals the worst of all, to the point of one having musked a kitten in the house that we watched for a friend.