Some questions about feeding Male cat's...

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard that male cat's shouldn't have very much fish in their diet's because it can cause crystals to form and cause blockages.
Well, we have two males that really like chunky wet food w/gravy and I was wondering how much fish is too much? Or should I stay away from it all together?
The feeding options are rather limited if they can't have seafood and I would like them to have some variety in their diets if possible

Right now they only have Tuna juice as a treat occasionally and salmon/ tuna flavored greenies but they go crazy everytime that we have fish for dinner and I think that they would really enjoy trying some seafood

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are they eating???

I would discuss this with your vet but

here are UTI certified dry foods ( wet is best) ...

Nutro max adult and lite

purina one and pro plan they say something on label of the right one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are eating Chicken Soup Kitten dry ( It does have salmon in it,so I guess they do get some fish
) and we just switched to Merrick Wet food but they've only tried the Cowboy cookout flavor so far.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed Grammy's Pot Pie Merrick canned food to my kitties with a history of UTIs...in addition to other foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

They are eating Chicken Soup Kitten dry ( It does have salmon in it,so I guess they do get some fish
) and we just switched to Merrick Wet food but they've only tried the Cowboy cookout flavor so far.
If memory serves they are getting ocean fish and salmon in that formula

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pet store is ordering a case of Grammy's Pot pie for us today but it won't be in for a few day's and the only kinds that they had in stock were Cowboy Cookout and a Seafood one that looked good but I wasn't sure about giving seafood

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd be interested in what your vet says. mine eat the chicken soup brand wet & dry, plus meow mix wet - all have fish. i have only the one male, but he's been peeing randomly recently. vet hasn't said he has any physical issues, tho...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fish can be a problem for cats w/a history of UTI trouble. It can be a problem for both males or females, but the result is more severe in a male.

I do avoid fish products for my boy that has a history of bladder trouble.

I feed it in small moderation to the others (who have never had a problem as of yet)....i.e. I don't get "Fish" flavored cat food but I do feed it if fish is, say...the 4th or 5th ingredient...as is the case with many "Turkey" or "Chicken" or "Beef" flavors.

I would say if they haven't had a problem with fish (either bladder-wise or tummy-wise) then moderation is the key.

ETA: I was actually talking more about wet food...when it comes to dry, I am more cautious about the fish. But I have some issues w/ dry, anyway...so I'll stop there before I go off topic.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Fish can be a problem for cats w/a history of UTI trouble. It can be a problem for both males or females, but the result is more severe in a male.

I do avoid fish products for my boy that has a history of bladder trouble.

I feed it in small moderation to the others (who have never had a problem as of yet)....i.e. I don't get "Fish" flavored cat food but I do feed it if fish is, say...the 4th or 5th ingredient...as is the case with many "Turkey" or "Chicken" or "Beef" flavors.

I would say if they haven't had a problem with fish (either bladder-wise or tummy-wise) then moderation is the key.

ETA: I was actually talking more about wet food...when it comes to dry, I am more cautious about the fish. But I have some issues w/ dry, anyway...so I'll stop there before I go off topic.
That is written perfectly
... lol.. imeant to write that

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to feed an all wet diet or even better a RAW one but with two kitten's that are going to be VERY big cat's cost is the main issue

Diesel is 15 lbs (almost 9 months old ) and Tucker's about 8 lbs (almost 6 months old) But Tucker's a Ragdoll and bound to be close to 20 lbs when he's full grown!
Reading the back of the can it say's to feed one can per 6lbs of body weight. That means they would eat 4 cans a day now and probably at least 6 cans when they reach full size! That's alot more expensive for me.
Right now we spend $24 for dry food (15lb) and $24 for a case of Merrick wet. It would be $144 (at least) for the same amount of food

My DH would probably leave me if I switched to all wet, he just doesn't get it

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for a healthy male, i agree with the "moderation is the key" statement, as well as discussing it with your vet.

my male kitty eats dry food containing fish (as the 5th or 6th ingredient) and also gets fishy wet foods once or twice a week.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

That is written perfectly
... lol.. imeant to write that
LOL...Thanks. That's the least I can do...I owe you a lot more than one decent paragraph.

I would LOVE to feed an all wet diet or even better a RAW one but with two kitten's that are going to be VERY big cat's cost is the main issue

Diesel is 15 lbs (almost 9 months old ) and Tucker's about 8 lbs (almost 6 months old) But Tucker's a Ragdoll and bound to be close to 20 lbs when he's full grown!
Reading the back of the can it say's to feed one can per 6lbs of body weight. That means they would eat 4 cans a day now and probably at least 6 cans when they reach full size! That's alot more expensive for me.
Right now we spend $24 for dry food (15lb) and $24 for a case of Merrick wet. It would be $144 (at least) for the same amount of food

Oh, I can sympathise. I think my hubby just *pretends* that he doesn't know how much I spend on cat food. We just don't discuss it.

There's still some dry food here. Shhhhhh.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You may want to research raw ....

I am now feeding two different meats ( allergy trial for one) ...
2lbs raw is about four to five days for two cats

5lbs complete mix( meat organs bone and veggies) runs about 10-13 dollars ... that would be 10 days at 4 to 5 oz a day for two cats ....

4 oz a day *2 =8 oz a day total

8*7 56 oz a week (3.5 lbs ) ...... so 5lbs is about 10 days

10*3 = 30 a month
to
13*3 = 39 a month

My girl should be a 14lb and eats about 3 oz raw vs 10 oz canned a day

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So....I guess that since they are getting fish in their dry food already I'll keep them away from the wet fish flavors until I can find a good dry food that DOESN'T have fish in it! They do love their Chicken Soup dry though
I'm sure that my pet store can offer some good advice and samples that we can try though, it'll work out
As long as they like and do well on Merrick wet food they will have to eat the non-fishy varieties for now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for a dry make sure the magnesium listed is not over .085 % ... some have fish at 6-12th ingrediants to me shold be okay if not UTI prone already

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky has a good point on the raw, I forgot about that.

Even the premade that I'm feeding some of mine only averages about 83 cents/day...per cat. And I could do better cost-wise w/what Sharky's feeding.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I just read your post Sharky... Raw does seem alot more reasonable than I thought that it was
I'm home anyway and other than finding the ingredient's it wouldn't be hard for me to find time to prepare it. Is it better to make your own or to buy it already prepared? If I make my own would I need to buy a specific kind of meat ? I really am uneducated when it comes to raw feeding
My kitties LOVE
Raw steak already and will sit and beg for it whenever they smell it in the kitchen
so switching them wouldn't be very difficult.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sorry, I just read your post Sharky... Raw does seem alot more reasonable than I thought that it was
I'm home anyway and other than finding the ingredient's it wouldn't be hard for me to find time to prepare it. Is it better to make your own or to buy it already prepared? If I make my own would I need to buy a specific kind of meat ? I really am uneducated when it comes to raw feeding
My kitties LOVE
Raw steak already and will sit and beg for it whenever they smell it in the kitchen
so switching them wouldn't be very difficult.
I have an 18.5 yr old with Crf and a 9.5 yr old with bad allergies I buy the ready made from my vet and then add supplement s and herbs to what each needs .... MY VET is HELPING me along

If doing it your self you will likely need a grinder that will do bone ... I would say at least the no hormones and feed veggie food stuff at the grocery store if organic is not avail ... oh and you need a variety of organ meats...

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You may want to research raw ....

I am now feeding two different meats ( allergy trial for one) ...
2lbs raw is about four to five days for two cats

5lbs complete mix( meat organs bone and veggies) runs about 10-13 dollars ... that would be 10 days at 4 to 5 oz a day for two cats ....

4 oz a day *2 =8 oz a day total

8*7 56 oz a week (3.5 lbs ) ...... so 5lbs is about 10 days

10*3 = 30 a month
to
13*3 = 39 a month

My girl should be a 14lb and eats about 3 oz raw vs 10 oz canned a day
That's interesting. I wasn't sure about raw 'cause I wasn't sure how say a 5lbs package would last. Now do you have alot of prep work to do daily or is it possible to unfreeze and mix the cats portions for the week and then just heat them. Also do you have to mix any supplements or meat or anything in?