Long hair with a mat

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I comb Prego every night, but he still developed a mat. I've gotten part of it out, but some of it is still there.

I usually just take him to the groomer, and she is able, by some miracle, to comb them out. I just took him to the groomer 2 weeks ago, though, so I was hoping to get this one out myself. I tried to comb it out, but the comb just gets stuck, and I don't want to pull on Prego's fur and skin and hurt him. I have a regular metal comb, some detangling and anti-static spray and a mat breaker comb. I'm not really sure how to use the mat breaker. I tried to use it once before, and it didn't seem to go through the mat. It just seemed to pull like the regular comb. Maybe I'm not using it right? I'm afraid to try cutting it out. Prego is fairly squirmy, and I'm scared I'd cut him.

Any tips anyone can give would be much appreciated!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't offer any help with the tools, but just some empathy! Butterbean has long, fine hair, and she can't tolerate brushing (it overstimulates her to the nth degree!), so when she starts getting mats, she comes and sits with me to work them out or trim them out. (This is about the only time she rolls upside down for me to mess with her underside unless she's really sappy and wants her armpits rubbed
). I always make sure I have the skin under the mat "pinched" between my fingers at the hairline if I have to cut it out. I hate having to do it, but she is 10 now, and it's a routine for both of us
. I would love to spend time brushing all that soft white hair, but nothing has worked...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, Butterbean! Prego gets overstimulated, too, with brushing. The only way I manage his nightly combing is that I do it while he's eating, so he's somewhat distracted. I do still have to be careful, but it helps! Prego isn't really too keen on letting me work the knot out, but I am trying.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Aw, Butterbean! Prego gets overstimulated, too, with brushing. The only way I manage his nightly combing is that I do it while he's eating, so he's somewhat distracted. I do still have to be careful, but it helps! Prego isn't really too keen on letting me work the knot out, but I am trying.
I've tried that, but she just whips around like "Where is it?!? Gotta bite brush! Gotta bite brush!"
I even tried giving her her own (just like the one I am using) and swap with her- she chews one for a while, I brush, she steals mine, I pick up hers and brush...but I was spending more time brush swapping than brushing, I think, and eventually (a very short eventually) it would turn into "chew mom" and then it's over, as the squirrelly tailed cat runs off to waylay some unsuspecting toy or feline sister!
She does actually come to me, rolling over and wanting me to get them out, so I just go with the flow...

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried again tonight. He did not like being sprayed with the detangling spray. Poor guy! I tried to rub the spray into the knot after I sprayed him. I hope I didn't make it worse by wetting the knot. I'll have to figure out a method of applying the spray without spraying him.

I think the matbreaker comb is worthless. It's hard to get it under the mat with Prego moving around so much, and when I do get it, it only pulls. I have a method for restraining him, but it causes him to get instantly, shall we say, peeved.

So I tried with the regular comb. I thought I got part of it out, but now when I feel it again it doesn't feel like I got any. I have been trying to hold his fur below the knot, but he moves around so much it's hard.

I wonder if something like olive oil might help loosen it a bit so I can comb it out?

Please keep the ideas coming!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't get it wet or slick. Use a seam ripper and work the mat loose

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

That's a good way to do it. Also you can try just gently picking it apart with your fingers. I can do that with Peaches but it doesn't work with every cat.

PurrPaws, I'm glad to hear you are using the comb and not the brush! That's probably why you only have one mat!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

A seam ripper is a good idea. I'll have to get one. Thanks for the suggestion!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news guys! I didn't have a chance to get the seam ripper yet, but last night I was able to comb the knot out. I guess it's been in the process of coming loose these last few days, and it finally came out, without too much protest on the part of Prego. He just let out a little meow.

Thanks for the tips! Prego says hi.