Well, this is a first

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I went out and got new collars for sugar and spice, a new harness for spice, and a pair of clippers, and have just trimmed spice;s nails on both front paws, nad have the front left paw on sugar done. First time for trimming nails on cats. I was careful not to go into the pink area of the nail, stayed near the end of hte nail. Was not as hard as I thought. Thinking I can do this,
Only question I have is, do you trim the back ones?
I took sugar with me yesterday to work and they loved her. A lot of the staff and the residents loved seeing her and petting her, she was in her glory till a walker of wheelchair came along, then she was not enjoying the visit. Then I took her into petsmart with me, and the staff there nad the customers loved seeing her again, and loved seeing a cat on a harness and a leash too. So sugars little outting was well received by all i think.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually do not trim the back feet unless I need to for shows or my Willow likes to dig her back feet in my skin so hers do get done.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like a blast, i am trying to get eazy used to those. no way would heyu ever put up with going outside, she wants not part of the outside world.

As to trimming the back one, i just out them upside down on my lap, play with there belly some and slip in a nail every so often. its the same way i do the front one. however i know of alot of cats that dont like being upside down like that. I would bet others here have better advice them me.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she enjoyed her day! I usually trim the back ones too, but I find they don't need to be done as often as the front nails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sugar had a blast at work, exploring everywhere. She was not too sure about walkers and wheelchairs. Might take both of them with me in a couple of weeks when I go to get my paycheck.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad she had a fun day
as for trimming the back paws, it yes here because they usually trim their front ones done a lil by all the cat trees in the house (to be honest it makes the nail alot my painful on skin when they do that
) But the back ones seem to get longer than the front, well at least for bella so most of the time with Bella I tend to do her back paws first

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Yesterday I went out and got new collars for sugar and spice, a new harness for spice, and a pair of clippers, and have just trimmed spice;s nails on both front paws, nad have the front left paw on sugar done. First time for trimming nails on cats. I was careful not to go into the pink area of the nail, stayed near the end of hte nail. Was not as hard as I thought. Thinking I can do this,
Only question I have is, do you trim the back ones?
I took sugar with me yesterday to work and they loved her. A lot of the staff and the residents loved seeing her and petting her, she was in her glory till a walker of wheelchair came along, then she was not enjoying the visit. Then I took her into petsmart with me, and the staff there nad the customers loved seeing her again, and loved seeing a cat on a harness and a leash too. So sugars little outting was well received by all i think.
I had wrote on the Care and Grooming forum the trouble I had with Misty's back paws, I can't get near them. I clip her front nails but that is putting up with a fight too. For me it is a big problem.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do the back claws but they don't need to be clipped as often.

It's wonderful that Sugar was so sociable and enjoyed her outing. I for one think it's great to be able to take them places with you. Heck, folks take their dogs, why can't we take our cats.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't trim the back ones..I have read that they wear down naturally with all the running and playing the kitty does.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to do the back ones on Nermal. Fred doesn't use his to grip as much, though I do his occasionally. Nermal likes to kneed on my stomach and uses his back nails to grip onto the clothing fabric. If I don't trim them, they're super sharp. Fred's don't seem to get as razor sharp.
Cutting them is always a challenge. Nermal squirms a lot. I can only do about three nails at a time.

I love the story of you taking Sugar to work!!!!!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks. Thinking of doing it every payday, and taking both of them the next time. Really give them something to think about at work, hehehe. Double your pleasure, double your fun,

Have not gotten to the back paws yet. Thinking those will be a once a month thing. Spice is fine with me clipping nails, but sugar squirms a lot, and it takes a lot longer to do.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

I have to do the back ones on Nermal. Fred doesn't use his to grip as much, though I do his occasionally. Nermal likes to kneed on my stomach and uses his back nails to grip onto the clothing fabric. If I don't trim them, they're super sharp. Fred's don't seem to get as razor sharp.
Cutting them is always a challenge. Nermal squirms a lot. I can only do about three nails at a time.

I love the story of you taking Sugar to work!!!!!
Hijacking! Just wanted to say I love the picture of Fred in your siggie.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually trim back nails. Frankie is de-clawed but actually likes having her front paws held and stroked. Wickett is very good about having his nails trimmed so it's pretty easy for me. The only time I do the back nails is if they are needing a bath. Then I do trim ALL nails for my own safety!

As for the harness... thats so cool! I'd love to take my kits out into the world to show them off but both are pretty scared of outside and car rides. Frankie would want nothing to do with the harness and Wickett is just scared of outside. Matt was grilling last weekend and I thought we'd (Wickett and I) would go out and visit him for a bit so I scooped Wickett up and as soon as I opened the screen door he bolted out of my arms and straight up stairs!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
within the first week, I started putting the little ones in a harness, and now they do not think anything of them. Actually cause the harnesses are a pain in the butt to put on, I leave them on all the time, and if one gets out in to the hallway, then it is something else for me to use to get them back into my apartment.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 16 year old male that has gone outside for about 8 years on a leash, he knows that is the only way he is going, Dad takes him out 2 times a day. He walks around the whole retaining wall and back eats a little grass and then he's done.
Had another one that used to actually walk around the block on his leash you could drop a bomb beside him he fears nothing
People always say I have never seen a Cat on a leash they can be trained

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was at the petsmart, I had a few people ask how I trained sugar to to be on a harness. ANd when they say well mine is X yrs old, I tell them I did it on a 4yr old cat. And they look like there is hope. I tell them to start it off slow and gradually increase the time, and get them eating treats and food with it on. They are so awestruck, it was not funny.