Good quality dry food

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently we feed our cats pretty much just dry food. It's normally purina naturals, etc. Well, after seeing all the posts on here and how much more knowledgable people are about cat food I decided I wanted to learn more. Sometimes you pay for a brand name you think is good, but find out it isn't so great.
When I move out, I want to be able to provide Lexi with better food to extend the quality of her life and I want to do both dry and wet. I was looking a spa select and was wondering if that was a good brand to start with and what other brands would be good. Also what wet food is good? Also what is the difference between wet, moist, and raw food for cats? Any help you could give me would be appreciated!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the basics:
Dry-kibble
Wet-canned, pouches, etc.
Moist-Tender Vittles is the only thing that comes to mind
Raw-raw meat, either pre-made or home-made

Good brands:
Spa Select
Authority
Chicken Soup
Nutro
Felidae
Innova/California Natural
Solid Gold
Meow Mix(wet only) is OK

Those are the ones I can think of. Chicken Soup is pretty reasonably priced, for me 18 lbs is $20.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was really impressed with the spa select website and I could get it at our local petsmart. I've given our cats meow mix wet before. I will just have to see what she likes, but she isn't too picky at this points. Thanks for the tips.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meow Mix wet is okay? Whew! That is the only wet Seb will eat - was worried it wasn't good stuff. The first ingredient is usually meat, but the other ingredients are a mystery tome.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Meow Mix wet is okay? Whew! That is the only wet Seb will eat - was worried it wasn't good stuff. The first ingredient is usually meat, but the other ingredients are a mystery tome.
Meow Mix is pretty good for a grocery brand!
The only concern with it is that it is very high in fish...therefore high in magnesium. That makes it not a good choice for kitties with a history of UTI issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't realized that Meow Mix wet was OK. That is good to know. I had picked it up when one of our cats had CRF and I was desperate to just feed her anything she would eat. How often should they be fed wet food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always feed half dry half wet daily ..... now I am more like 755 wet 25% dry if you can afford to ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Innova Evo dry is the best there is no grain what so ever. you can find this and other good foods at www.Naturapet.com
Remember that is an opnion...
... many cant do EVO due to $$$ or avail ...

Meow mix is okay if UTI is not an issue...

sheba tubs are also good as are a few of the Iams canned .... You can get decent stuff at the grocery or mass stores in the way of wet..

Natalie did a good job

for some other s these can be hard to find

Evanger s
Natures prarie / variety

Merrick
Wellness
Evo /Innova /Cal natural / Heathwise all by Natura as mentioned
Premium edge
Eagle pack
Pinnacle ( dog is good think cat is )
Avoderm
Royal canin ( some are so so others are

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Naturapet also has a list of foods compared to each other from non-Innova companies which is what PantherPride may have been referring to?

I agree with Sharky's list of foods, but personally we feed EVO or Orijen.