very nervous kittin getting nutered!!!help

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok some of you know my kit-kat and max her 9 month old son.and i am sorry this is so long ok we have a new addition to our growing family Gizimo mama's 5 month old son also. he came back to me because his new home already had a cat 4 years old and just lost a 9 year old cat (sick) so when she took gizmo her cat went nuts and gizmo meowed all the time after a couple of weeks giz wanted to play with his new friend and her cat didnt want to hear it 2 weeks later she called me and said it wasnt working out her cat was missarible and giz antaginized her cat plus he was really needy ok sory for the long store i hope it will help who ever reads this can know all the facts it took mama about a week before she accepted giz but max was happy to have his baby brother back giz is a really good kitty but he is very anxtious like he has anxiety he meows if he is all alone if he cant find mom or max he gets all meowy and when he wakes up he is really meowy he loves to be held and cuddled the closer the better for him he is so lovable well he is getting fixed on tuesday and i am worried he is going to freak out he hated the car and is going to be at the place from 9am to 3pm (it is a mobil vet clinic) had mom and max fixed there they were great but i dont know what to do about this one is there any thing they sell i can give him to calm him down i fear he will have a kitty panic atack i am so worried some one please help and advice is so apretiated

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will be fine
Whatever you do, don't give him any medication to calm him before he's going in for surgery, it could interact with the anaesthetic and be dangerous.

Put him in a pet carrier and put a blanket over the carrier so it is dark and feels like a little safe cave for him.

Don't forget that the vets who do neutering/spay surgery are probably quite used to dealing with feral cats and so will not have any problem with your boy.

He will be fine. The best thing you can do to help him is to stay calm yourself, because cats are very sensitive towards the emotions given off by people around them. If you are stressed, he will be stressed too.

I remember the anxiety I went through when Radar was neutered, I was physically sick through worry! He will come through this OK, it is a very minor procedure, just make him feel as safe as you can by covering his carrier, and he will be back to his usual self before you know it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
his isnt a feralcat he is my cats son he was only gone for 3 weeks i had max fixed and he was fine i am worried about the amomtional part is gizmo normal are there other cats needy and nervous like him

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kit-t-kat

his isnt a feralcat he is my cats son he was only gone for 3 weeks i had max fixed and he was fine i am worried about the amomtional part is gizmo normal are there other cats needy and nervous like him
It's ok, I know he's not feral, I was just saying that if the vets are used to dealing with frightened feral cats and they are ok afterwards, then your shy boy will be fine too.

Nervous cats really appreciate a dark hidey hole to lurk in, so for journeys to and from the clinic, make his environment dark and small -a carrier or cage with a blanket over it will help him feel safe. He's going to be under anaesthetic for some of the time he's there so won't have much memory of what has gone on, and the vets will know how best to deal with a nervous kitty - there are plenty of nervous kitties out there and they will know how to handle him.

Yes there are plenty of nervous shy cats around, this lad is not unusual. The vets will have had nervous ones before, if you tell them your concerns they will handle him accordingly

When he comes home, put him in the room he feels safest and most comfortable in, with a box for him to hide in if he's nervous. I am sure he will be OK

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you i think he will want his brother he comes to his rescue when he cries maybe thats why he is so needy max was 4 months when gizmo was born he used to take care of him and his brothers he was more upset by them leaving then mama.lol

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although it's common and usually unavoidable, I do hate having to leave my kitties at the vet for hours like that. When my Clyde was neutered, I asked them if there was a way I could just wait there with him until they were ready to do his surgery. They were great about it -- they put us in an exam room they didn't need, and they scheduled Clyde early on the list.

I was able to hold him while he came out of the anesthesia, which meant a lot to me. They needed to keep him for observation for three more hours, but they let me install him in the cage and stay with him until he settled down to sleep.

They were so nice about it that I suspect I was not the first nervous kittymom who'd asked to stay with her baby!
Maybe you could do the same!