Bitter apple on bare skin?

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sofie recently had a front leg amputated, and has been wearing an e-collar. However, today the e-collar basically broke apart, and of course, Sofie has been licking and scratching at her staples and stitches. My husband will be picking a new collar up for her tonight, but I need to stop her from licking right now.

Does anyone know if it is safe to put bitter apple (not the spray, the type that can be dabbed on) onto skin to deter licking? I would obviously not apply it to the wound itself, but to the shaved skin around it? The reason I'm worried is that she has been licking at the skin, and it is looking kind of pink and irritated.

Thanks for any advice. I've been sitting in my office the entire afternoon with her, trying in vain to get to stop licking, and I am getting worried (she has already had to go back to the vet once for additional sutures, due to her scratching/licking some open).

ETA: I did ask our vet about this, and he thinks there is no problem putting the bitter apple pretty much anywhere. I am worried it will sting already irritated skin, though.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with the product. But as long as it has no alcohol in it it should not sting. Trust your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Trust your vet.
Definitely good advice. The reason I was worried is that it does contain alcohol, and it smells like it would sting.

Fortunately, I ended up not having to use it. I managed to plead with and distract her all afternoon not to lick too badly, and my husband just bought home the tiniest little t-shirt for her to wear. It's foiling her attempts at licking and scratching, and she looks pretty adorable in it.

Thanks again!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hyacinthbucket

Definitely good advice. The reason I was worried is that it does contain alcohol, and it smells like it would sting.

Fortunately, I ended up not having to use it. I managed to plead with and distract her all afternoon not to lick too badly, and my husband just bought home the tiniest little t-shirt for her to wear. It's foiling her attempts at licking and scratching, and she looks pretty adorable in it.

Thanks again!
Lol. Ok. You must take a pic of that tshirt..

Another thing in case this ever comes up again. Is if you have a scratch put some on yourself. If it stings you then you know not to use it..