Ummm...Thanks

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not about to hark towards smoking, etc. If you smoke, that's your choice.

But this does get me: when smokers dump their finished cigerettes out of their car window.

So my message to the car I was behind this morning:

For one: You're littering.

Two: You still-lit cigerette bounced off the road and smacked my windshield right in my line of vision thus causing me to slightly swerve on the busy highway into work because burning ashes were all over the drivers side of the windshield.

There I said it.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'm not about to hark towards smoking, etc. If you smoke, that's your choice.

But this does get me: when smokers dump their finished cigerettes out of their car window.

So my message to the car I was behind this morning:

For one: You're littering.

Two: You still-lit cigerette bounced off the road and smacked my windshield right in my line of vision thus causing me to slightly swerve on the busy highway into work because burning ashes were all over the drivers side of the windshield.

There I said it.
I'm guilty of that. On behalf of all smokers: I'm sorry. I'll carry an empty bottle with a little bit of water in it to put out my cigerettes. Thanks for letting me know how annoying it can be.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heck no! Nothing goes out my windows!
That's a heck of a fine in most areas.
Not even ashes.
I bought an ashtray for my truck for that very purpose (no, I will never use a car's ashtray if it has never been sullied, I want my resale $$ as high as possible).

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Or, how about the person who is smoking while standing near you and their smoke wafts right into your face? To them, I say, "Hey, thanks for the face full of cancer you just imposed on me without even asking first!" These people tick me off to no end. If you want to kill yourself, that's your business; but when your smoke invades my space, that's just plain rude!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always hated the way smokers seem to think the world is their ashtray.

lookingglass, props for realizing the cig-out-the-window-of-your-car is annoying, and doing something about it.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

Or, how about the person who is smoking while standing near you and their smoke wafts right into your face? To them, I say, "Hey, thanks for the face full of cancer you just imposed on me without even asking first!" These people tick me off to no end. If you want to kill yourself, that's your business; but when your smoke invades my space, that's just plain rude!
I dunno about that one. Who was standing there first?
Smokers also can't control the wind.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I'm guilty of that. On behalf of all smokers: I'm sorry. I'll carry an empty bottle with a little bit of water in it to put out my cigerettes. Thanks for letting me know how annoying it can be.
Thank you for being responsible with your smoking. If only others were so conscience of their actions...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally will try to get as far away as possible from people when I smoke in public.
I also try to gauge the wind, but wind has a funny way of changing directions.

Even as a smoker, I do not like walking through clouds of smoke, nor to I enjoy going to smokey places.
It always bothered me that public places put their ashtrays right by the doors, how idiotic is that?

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I personally will try to get as far away as possible from people when I smoke in public.
I also try to gauge the wind, but wind has a funny way of changing directions.

Even as a smoker, I do not like walking through clouds of smoke, nor to I enjoy going to smokey places.
It always bothered me that public places put their ashtrays right by the doors, how idiotic is that?
Im not bothered by a tiny bit of smoke outside.. my bf is a smoker, so I have learned to live with it.. but I honestly find it really gross when you're walking down the street and someone is walking in front of you, smoking, and you breath in their exhaled smoke. It's just... yuck.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister is a big smoker. She used to just toss her lit cig out the car window as well. But, she learned her lesson the hard way. She had tossed a cig out the window while on the highway. She thought it had gone out the window, but it didn't. Instead, it landed on the floor in the back and started a fire in the papers and other junk she had back there
I laugh, because it wasn't that serious, but could have been.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never understood walking and smoking

Of course I remember seeing people cycling and smoking too, :censor::censor::censor:?
Way to get a good cardio workout there buddy

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I dunno about that one. Who was standing there first? Smokers also can't control the wind.
I was there first. Of course they can't control the wind, but they can and should take ownership of their smoking. I'm a firm believer in designated smoking areas - call it segregation if you will. But, why should those people who have decided to live a non-smoking lifestyle have to be the victims of second-hand smoke? If a smoker wants to puff, they have every right to do so. But, why do they insist in doing it in my personal space?!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

I was there first. Of course they can't control the wind, but they can and should take ownership of their smoking. I'm a firm believer in designated smoking areas - call it segregation if you will. But, why should those people who have decided to live a non-smoking lifestyle have to be the victims of second-hand smoke? If a smoker wants to puff, they have every right to do so. But, why do they insist in doing it in my personal space?!
I will never smoke in front of non-smokers. I always walk away.
Why are ashtrays by the entrances? I don't get that at all.
I would also take a plastic bag with me for my butts when outside.
I am guilty of throwing butts out the car window. I refuse to smoke on highways just for the simple fact it will blow back in.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a smoker
but I was nearly in an accident once because of someone doing exactly what you describe.

I was on my scooter, going down a road, at night. The driver of the car in front flicked a still lit cigarette out of the window. Of course it whipped back along the length of the car - and went straight into my face. Fortunately I had my visor down, but I was blinded (think like a shower of orange fireworks directly in front of your eyes) for a second - during which time the car in front of the one I was behind slammed on his brakes because he realised he'd missed his turning.

Fortunately I was able to brake and with some slight skidding, made it to safety. Had I hit the back of the car in front I would with 99% certainty have been killed outright. All because someone threw a lit cigarette out of a car window - if it hadn't been for that, I would have spotted the brake lights of the stopping car in good time.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I quit smoking, but I have to say that not ALL smokers are rude. I always tried to be considerate of non-smokers, but it's just not always possible to appease everyone. And there are always the militant anti-smokers that won't be happy no matter what you do.

Case in point...I was a designated smoking area at an airport, outside. While me and another guy were there smoking, some people walked past and made a BIG deal about coughing and making comments about smoking. Um, hello? We are in the right place, abiding by the rules. If you don't like where the smoking area is, complain to the airport.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I quit smoking, but I have to say that not ALL smokers are rude. I always tried to be considerate of non-smokers, but it's just not always possible to appease everyone. And there are always the militant anti-smokers that won't be happy no matter what you do.

Case in point...I was a designated smoking area at an airport, outside. While me and another guy were there smoking, some people walked past and made a BIG deal about coughing and making comments about smoking. Um, hello? We are in the right place, abiding by the rules. If you don't like where the smoking area is, complain to the airport.
I'm glad you brought up this point. Yes, not all smokers are rude - I completely agree with you about this. And, those people had absolutely no right to cough and make comments about your smoking while you were in a designated smoking area. So, that just goes to show that non-smokers can be rude too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I am a smoker
but I was nearly in an accident once because of someone doing exactly what you describe.

I was on my scooter, going down a road, at night. The driver of the car in front flicked a still lit cigarette out of the window. Of course it whipped back along the length of the car - and went straight into my face. Fortunately I had my visor down, but I was blinded (think like a shower of orange fireworks directly in front of your eyes) for a second - during which time the car in front of the one I was behind slammed on his brakes because he realised he'd missed his turning.

Fortunately I was able to brake and with some slight skidding, made it to safety. Had I hit the back of the car in front I would with 99% certainty have been killed outright. All because someone threw a lit cigarette out of a car window - if it hadn't been for that, I would have spotted the brake lights of the stopping car in good time.
Yikes!
That's horrible!

I've always wondered too if cars that leaked oil could ignite if a cigerette touched them...err...Mythbusters???

Heidi - I do agree too, non-smokers can be just as rude as smokers. A not everyone on boths sides are rude. B smokes and he never flicks his finished cigerette out the window (at least not while I'm around).

My soapbox-moment today is just to point out that while you think you're dumping a cigerette you're really creating a road hazard.

I wish they would make a law against it here

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

My soapbox-moment today is just to point out that while you think you're dumping a cigerette you're really creating a road hazard.

I wish they would make a law against it here
You're right, it does. I learned that the hard way when I was a teenager, smoking in the car and flicked out the cigarette....right onto a cop's windshield.
Yup, he pulled me over, gave me a firm talking to, almost wrote me a ticket for littering (at least), but was called off on a more important incident. Learned my lesson right quick there!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

My sister is a big smoker. She used to just toss her lit cig out the car window as well. But, she learned her lesson the hard way. She had tossed a cig out the window while on the highway. She thought it had gone out the window, but it didn't. Instead, it landed on the floor in the back and started a fire in the papers and other junk she had back there
I laugh, because it wasn't that serious, but could have been.
YIKES!

Not only is throwing cigg butts out the window inconsiderate and dangerous for other drivers, but it is also a huge environmental danger as well.

Here, because it is so dry, throwing a lit cigg butt out the window causes fires of all sorts...we get a lot of forest fires because of this and many animals are harmed in the process.