What could this be? Kittens went downhill FAST!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found some kittens, took them in, had them vaccinated, rabies shots and dewormed. Feed them great food, they were happy healthy playful little things.

Then in the past couple days (just a few days after being vaccinated and all that), one just started seeming depressed almost and his fur became very oily and he stopped grooming himself. He was noticably thinner then the others, stopped drinking and eating as much. He slept a lot, moped around, etc. Then this morning he was very wobbly, dehydrated, lethargic and the other kitten with him earlier started getting the same way, she was even cold to the touch.

Since they were strays, I surrendered them to the Humane Society. They are great and the lady in charge of cats is really good and knowledgable. They are no time limit shelter. They only take in very ill or injured animals and they were glad I brought them in. The kittens were immediately going to the vet I heard them say. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they found out anything and if my cats are at risk. Mine are all vaccinated thank god.

Anyways, does this sound like anything familiar to anyone? For the past few days, as soon as I realized the one kitten seemed a little off, I seperated them. There was actually a third kitten who has been seperated from the bunch which until just a few hours ago seemed absolutely normal and I was grateful she didn't catch whatever the others have. Now this third kitten is just sort of laying around, not her normal talkative self. Just in a few hours!! I KNOW she is getting the same thing!

What is this??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's FIP isn't it... I don't think mine vaccinated against that.

or Panleukopenia, of course mine are vaccinated against that.
* Vomiting
* diarrhea
* Depression
* Disinterest in food and water
* Appearance of the "third eyelid," or haw, in the inner corner of the eye
* Lack of grooming, evidenced by dull, rough coat
* Evidence of abdominal pain
* A "hunched over" postural appearance

they have every single one of those, but they were just vaccinated against it a couple days ago...

sorry I am researching at the moment. I am finding these two things as likely what it was. It was no simple URI or something I see all the time.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jen, I have no idea -- but I'm so sorry! I know it must be breaking your heart. I'll keep the strays and your cats all in my thoughts... may they all be well...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What it could be is that the kitten had a rare allergic reaction to the vaccines. It DOES happen...Were the vaccines the killed sort?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but ALL THREE of the kittens? do you think? hmmm.... this is really scary, I don't know what I should do.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of entire litters being lost due to the fact that the vaccine given was not "Killed" vaccines. Just check the vaccine given - what brand name and which batch?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

What it could be is that the kitten had a rare allergic reaction to the vaccines. It DOES happen...Were the vaccines the killed sort?
This is what I was thinking..

I will say a prayer things work out for the poor babies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be many things - since they were strays they come in contact with so many issues. Kittens can go downhill over nite! And when you only have a few pounds to work with, they can succumb to things very quickly. I've had it happen to purebred kittens - my one calico had 2 kittens - she didn't want to nurse them but my tortie took over and added the 2 kittens in her litter. However, after a week, she too rejected these kittens - they were pushed to the side time after time and overnite both died.

While some might think I'm horrible for not trying to save them, I feel that mom and nature knows best. Those kittens obviously had something wrong with them as the 2 females were good mothers and had other litters fine.

Its also happened to our barn cats - they lost kittens from time to time. I think one of the barn kittens had FIP - the rest of the kittens survived and were healthy. Some of the same symptoms you described.

Some neighbors just lost one of their cats (they don't give shots, etc. and the cats are NOT neutered) The one male that died either had urinary blockage or FIP cause he really swelled up just before dying. He could have had the wet form of it. I didn't see the cat. They are not good pet owners.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking the panleukopenia to be honest, doesn't really sound like FIP to me and for all 3 to develop these symptoms "overnight" that is not FIP

let us know what the humane society says!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i agree, sounds like distemper, that's how I lost my foster kittens

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Panleuk guys.
Poor babies. They are all at the vets now. The one poor kitten today had one pupil dilated and the other one not... two of the kittens were vaccinated just 5 days ago. the other one wasn't. Any chance that vaccine will kick in enough to help or is it probably too late. I am guessing they had it then but just hadn't shown the signs yet.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those poor little babies. I don't have any answers for you, but wanted you to know I'm thinking of the little ones and hoping for the best.

Please let us know what happens.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh gosh, how awful! and I don't think the vaccine will do anything at this point, like you said they must have been infected before the vaccination, the vax can only prevent them from getting it, not help them beat it. poor babies

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just emailed the original guy I got them from to warn him that his cats are carrying or passing Panleuk or something. This sucks. I have to bleach my entire house now. I cannot take in any more invaccinated cats for awhile. In about a month or two I will revaccinate all my cats just to be safe. At the first sign of it in my own I will have to get them into the vet of course. But they are all vaccinated and hopefully it won't come to that. I am worried about passing it to friend's unvaccinated cats since it might be in my clothes and everything... this sucks
I know it is airborne and can live in clothing and shoes (my book bag even!) and other things like that for a very long time unless they are bleached. I can't bleach my bookbag. Should I just throw this stuff away? I already tossed all the bedding the kittens used and their towels and bowls are bleached.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. Throw away what you can afford to and soak in a mild solution of bleach the articles that will take it.
This does suck...I'm so sorry this happened to you. You're taking all the precautions though, so things should be Ok.
Keep us posted on the kittens...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about this.

Is it the dilute calico and her brother that you took in a few weeks ago?

How long have they been sick now? This article states that after 48 hours, chances of recovery are much better. Age has something to do w/it too...the older they are the better their chances. Vibes and prayers headed your way.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I just emailed the original guy I got them from to warn him that his cats are carrying or passing Panleuk or something. This sucks. I have to bleach my entire house now. I cannot take in any more invaccinated cats for awhile. In about a month or two I will revaccinate all my cats just to be safe. At the first sign of it in my own I will have to get them into the vet of course. But they are all vaccinated and hopefully it won't come to that. I am worried about passing it to friend's unvaccinated cats since it might be in my clothes and everything... this sucks
I know it is airborne and can live in clothing and shoes (my book bag even!) and other things like that for a very long time unless they are bleached. I can't bleach my bookbag. Should I just throw this stuff away? I already tossed all the bedding the kittens used and their towels and bowls are bleached.
Sorry you have to go thru all of this please keep us posted please.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is the dilute torti and her brother. Like I said though, I surrendered them to the Humane Society which is where they were immediately taken to the vet and tested. I felt bad, but I knew they could immediately get any treatment they needed. And I don't have any real good way to completely seperate them from my cats. If they just got worse they are probably going to be euthanized but in the meantime they are being treated and cared for. There is no cure for Panleuk and the mortality rate is like 60-90% so is doesn't not look good. I will call tomorrow to find out anything.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely think you did the right thing surrendering them...I didn't mean to imply anything to the contrary.

I understand it looks grim for them, but based on what I have read...I was still cautiously optimistic, mainly because of their age.

I'm sorry you're going through this.