My computer is acting up

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason my computer is acting up. Yesterday it would not do a scan for me, but today it did.

Now a while ago I tried signing on to Yahoo messenger and it wouldn't let me, and I have tried using the other smilies here by clicking on the more button and it doesn't do anything.

And earlier today I tried opening a new window clicking on my internet button and nothing happened.

I never log out of here or the LSU board that I belong too.

So I have internet right now.

I don't know what to do.

I think I might just close everything tonight and shut the computer off.

So if I am not here in the morning it is because I can't.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well if you leave it on all the time and logged into stuff,
you could be causing memory issues with the machine. Sometimes it just does not want to switch stuff out of ram. Sounds like in this case a simple reboot may fix your issue.

i am not a fan of leaving home PC on all the time, I would be turning it off at night, or when not home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

well if you leave it on all the time and logged into stuff,
you could be causing memory issues with the machine. Sometimes it just does not want to switch stuff out of ram. Sounds like in this case a simple reboot may fix your issue.

i am not a fan of leaving home PC on all the time, I would be turning it off at night, or when not home.
It seem like yesterday something about memory did pop up, how do I reboot, I am kinda computer stupid.

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with theimp98... just reboot the computer. Go to "start" and shutdown or restart. If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'll tell you how to clear out a bunch of crap.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, turn it off at night and clean out your temporary files and IE cache before you turn it off!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would reboot, and then do virus scan, and spyware scans. I would also recommend this free site that does tests for free. I go there at least once a month to run tests that my software didn't pick up.

Also do a disk clean up and defrag

http://pcpitstop.com/

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Yup, turn it off at night and clean out your temporary files and IE cache before you turn it off!
Are you forgetting who you are talking too?

I don't know how to do any of that.

The only time I ever turn my computer off is if it is bad weather, or if we are gonna be gone for a few days.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am doing a spybot thing (I think) I am doing a search and destroy

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go into c:/My Computer/Control Panel/Administrative Tools. You'll find most of that in there. And Internet Properties (again in Control Panel) will allow you to clear your IE cache. I have AOL, which has a handy computer checkup which I run every night before I turn it off, and it does all of that for me (other than the defrag - I don't have enough space left to run one anymore but it doesn't need to be run very often).

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is on 24/7!! Today mine was acting up horribly!!! I got so mad at the darn thing.........

Guess its nighty night from mine now on too, when Im not here.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Go into c:/My Computer/Control Panel/Administrative Tools. You'll find most of that in there. And Internet Properties (again in Control Panel) will allow you to clear your IE cache. I have AOL, which has a handy computer checkup which I run every night before I turn it off, and it does all of that for me (other than the defrag - I don't have enough space left to run one anymore but it doesn't need to be run very often).
Thanks, I will try that.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one thing you should remember is that the hardware in the machine has a lifespan.

the cooling fans on the cpu, powersupply,the powersupply its self, also maybe your maybe video card will have a cooling fan. if you are going to be home all day, and on and off the computer then its ok to leave them on. However if i am going away from the PC for a few hours, i do think its best to keep them off.

If your that bad with computers, then the dummie books are great place for basic stuff.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

The one thing you should remember is that the hardware in the machine has a lifespan.

the cooling fans on the cpu, powersupply,the powersupply its self, also maybe your maybe video card will have a cooling fan. if you are going to be home all day, and on and off the computer then its ok to leave them on. However if i am going away from the PC for a few hours, i do think its best to keep them off.

If your that bad with computers, then the dummie books are great place for basic stuff.
I am that bad with computers, I might just hafta get me one of them dummy books.