Why they call me gemlady...

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally got some pics of me in the lapidary (gem cutting) workshop and some stones I have cut.

Grinding away..

Checking my progress... That's my Mom in the background.

Various stones in various stages of completion. I like to do free forms. Can ya tell?

While I have sister's camera I hope to get pics of some completed pieces of jewelry.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a fun thing to do. I don't have an artistic bone in my body - but I really enjoy seeing the work of those who do.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks like hard work! But I'm sure it must be very rewarding to make such pretty pieces.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome!!!! What beautiful stones!!!!! You are very talented!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that is so neat Jan! If I lived closer I'd be askin to come watch you work on them!

When I was younger I considered designing jewelry as a career, but my hands are way too unsteady for cutting stones and things!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are great, Jan. And the scenes are very familiar to me from my childhood. My parents were rockhounds, and I was taken to more gem shows, Rockhound Gemborees, mines, etc than I can count when I was growing up. My favourite game for me and my Dad was going for walks, I or my Dad would pick up a rock, and I'd have to name the minerals in it! I was pretty good at it, too!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Those are awesome Jan- your talented, I couldn't do anything like that to save my life

Great pics!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice! I can't wait to see pictures of some finished pieces.

My cousin is big into that. He and his wife go all over the place searching for raw rocks and minerals and turn them into some gorgeous jewelry that they sell at arts and craft shows.

It's something I've wanted to give a try but have never gotten around to it. Something else I want to do is take a pottery class. I really loved that in high school many, many years ago, LOL

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you cut raw emeralds? I have a few that I bought on E-bay. I ran them through the tumbler.Now they need cut,and I don't know where or how to have it done.here is a picture of them and some other stones i have no idea what they are,the biggest one is a emerald.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really cool! I love those stones, I don't wear a lot of jewellery but I do like uncomplicated stone pendants and things like that! My granddad used to collect and polish stones, so seeing those sort of reminds me of him which is nice

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh cool!

gemlady, i have a few kilos of rough stones, can ya make them pretty for me!?!?!?!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Wow Jan, that is reall great. I love the pic of the fourth stone in sort of rectangley green marbled. That's so pretty!
that could possibly be malachite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Those are great, Jan. And the scenes are very familiar to me from my childhood. My parents were rockhounds, and I was taken to more gem shows, Rockhound Gemborees, mines, etc than I can count when I was growing up. My favourite game for me and my Dad was going for walks, I or my Dad would pick up a rock, and I'd have to name the minerals in it! I was pretty good at it, too!
It's a family affair for me, too. Dad "dragged" us into it during my senior year in high school.
Egads... That means I have been doing this for 32 years. I used to go and give talks to schoolkids and sometimes other organizations. Loved showing off my fluorescent minerals and my coprolite. (I could tell you non rockhounds what coprolite is, but why don't you try googling it. )

Originally Posted by sherral46

Do you cut raw emeralds? I have a few that I bought on E-bay. I ran them through the tumbler.Now they need cut,and I don't know where or how to have it done.here is a picture of them and some other stones i have no idea what they are,the biggest one is a emerald.
I haven't cut emerald, but mom has. She bought a bunch of Colombian rough and made some small cabochons - one she put in a cross pendant she wore at nephew's fairy tale wedding. Her dress had a 16th century spanish look.

Go to www.amfed.org then go to regional federations and click on Southeastern federations. That might help you find a club and someone who could cut your stone for you. (Or let you know if it can be cut successfully.)
http://www.amfed.org/sfms/club-tn-va.html (Clubs in TN and VA.)
http://www.amfed.org/sfms/club-nc-sc.html (Clubs in NC and SC)

I have cut snowflake obsidian. (The black with white spots in your pic.)

Originally Posted by Epona

That's really cool! I love those stones, I don't wear a lot of jewellery but I do like uncomplicated stone pendants and things like that! My granddad used to collect and polish stones, so seeing those sort of reminds me of him which is nice
Glad I brought out some fond memories. My niece and nephew did some rock and fossil collecting with us and trips with Grandpa and Grandma and Aunt Jan.

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Oooh cool!
gemlady, i have a few kilos of rough stones, can ya make them pretty for me!?!?!?!
Well, if they come from Lightning Ridge, Andamooka, Coober Pedy and other places like that - I'd be interested.
(Famous Australian opal locations for those who haven't heard of those places.)

Originally Posted by ClaireBear

Im jealous. You have such a cool job.
It's actually a hobby. I have sold some pieces but not enough to make a living.