Stray friend in labor

toniann82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SO last week we found a stray eating rat poison. We took her in and fed her, gave her milk & watched for any signs knowing we'd have to take her to the vet. Well, the cat attacked me every time I moved so I was afraid and let it outside. We have glass doors & for two nights she came back and would knock her head on the door. I felt bad & let her in. She has been nicer- as long as you don't touch her at all. She pets us, we can't pet her. Well she slept with me two nights ago - yep, I let her stay. And I noticed last night she was no where to be found.. She spent all morning in and out of her litter box - about 4 hours all together. I finally woke up and there was a kitten on my pillow (on the floor) still in its sack. I got towels and scissors and anything I could think of and it was too late. I called two vets & neither was very helpful. She delivered one more 2 hours later & took the sack off the baby but it also died. They are the size of my pinki and are furless. You can see veins and most of their insides through the skin. I have since put her in the bathroom with everything I could think of to make her comfortable. SHe is breathing heavy still but I can't get close to see if she still has a belly. Its 7 pm and her first was delivered around 10 am. The cat is under a year i think & has been well fed for a week or so - otherwise I have no idea. Can I give her a bath later or tomorrow and how can I tell when labor is over. I just gave her tuna along w/ her food and water which she won't touch. She hasn't had anything at all today. ANy help would be great. My husband left yesterday for a month and the vet on post wrote her off as a stray. The neighborhood vets are insane...

Toniann
Ft Bragg NC

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, I am so sorry her kittens didn't make it. Sounds like they were tiny preemies. Sometimes it just happens and we never know why. Obviously, her circumstances could have a lot to do with it. (like the rat poison, maybe some of it passed to the kittens, I dunno?)

I hope you can find a way to get her to a vet, if one of the kittens died inside of her and isn't delivered, she is at great risk of infection. It sounds like you are trying everything you can to help her, but I really think she needs to be seen.

{{{HUGS}}} so sad when the delivery ends up that way.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by poohandwendy

Aw, I am so sorry her kittens didn't make it. Sounds like they were tiny preemies. Sometimes it just happens and we never know why. Obviously, her circumstances could have a lot to do with it. (like the rat poison, maybe some of it passed to the kittens, I dunno?)

I hope you can find a way to get her to a vet, if one of the kittens died inside of her and isn't delivered, she is at great risk of infection. It sounds like you are trying everything you can to help her, but I really think she needs to be seen.

{{{HUGS}}} so sad when the delivery ends up that way.
Yes it is sad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toniann82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far no live babies. She is still dripping blood & breathing heavily. I called urgent pet care and they are telling me this is normal and that if anything in the morning take her on post to our (army) vet. They said strays are malnourished & it happens often. I've fed this cat an entire bag of food in one week & keep her happy so far, but now I don't know what to do. She's just laying there barely opening her eyes. I gave her some milk and thought maybe that would spark an intrest-not so much. I also held off on the bath so her temp wouldn't drop- the one good piece of info they gave me over the phone. She won't let me near her but from about three feet away I think she may still have one to go. Thanks for replying. I'm going to call urgent care again and see what they would do for her. For $100 we get to walk in - good thing its payday...

faith09tp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow, it sounds like she really needs some urgent care. and it sounds like the vets don't care about her because she's a stray, which is insane, that's terrible! I think if u really want her to make it and want to do all u can for her, she needs to be seen immediately. yeah, it's normal for strays to be malnourished, but that isn't a good thing! poor baby, i hope she makes it. If I were you I'd take her into the vets ASAP, even though they say not to, it just sounds like they don't care cuz she's a stray or something. I hope you're ok with all that, I know a sick animal can be very stressful on people, lol, even though she's not ur pet right now.

toniann82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, if I can get in before midnight (45 minutes) its a bit cheaper, but whoa a c section starts at $600.00 - they need to offer stay health insurance along with my home owners policy- off to make a crate and find a sitter. ** My house is on the market and I have placenta and random yucky all over my house- any good sovlents that you guys can reccomend. I know I shouldn't be worried but can we say bad timing. Let ya know how this goes...The cat won't let ne near her, I've never been afraid of an animal before- fun fun.

Toniann

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is this kitty doing? Did you tell the vets that she ate rat poison? this is an anticoagulant and basically causes the rats to bleed to death due to interference with Vitamin K production. Early treatment is simple with Vitamin K injections.

The fact that this kitty aborted her babies, is in distress and dripping blood sounds like an emergency when coupled with known eating of rat poison.

Bless you for taking her in, poor sweet thing.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, this poor little girl! A smart girl, though, to recognize that you were her best chance for safety when the babies came. And of course she's scared right now, but if you can get her through this, I imagine you'll have a friend for life!

The only thing I know about cleaning up such messes is that you have to use cold water on blood -- hot just makes it harder to get out.

Bless those poor little kittens...and any more who come along. I know they're not likely to make it, but I'm sending high hopes just the same...

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont want to scare you but if the cat ate Rat Poision then she needs to be at the vet. The poision will pass to the babies that why they are dying and soon mom will show signs depending on the amount she ingested but a cat it doesn't take alot. I have seen this happen about 10 years ago and it was really heartbreaking. My suggestion is to take her in please and that why you will get a straight answer. We are here to help ok God Bless.

toniann82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So she did have another baby that she could not pass. The vet said that the babies most likely stopped growing due to the rat poison and she aborted them - or went into labor too early so no survivors this time around. She is very loveable post pregnancy- I'm surprised. She is still covered in blood, but she's wanting love. So gross but - its nice to know she's a good keep. She keeps walking around crying, which is sad but otherwise she is good. She bled a little earlier but she is eating & roaming around. I am going to take her into another vet for a check up monday- urgent care kicked my butt... Thanks for the help every one. I have two new strays sitting on my porch- sooo not gonna happen. I also have three more blood spots I can not remove- 1 on a futon and two on my carpet- any wonder tricks would be great

Toniann

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aw im sorry to hear about the babys , im glad mamma is ok though. when your up the vets next maybe you can make an appointment for her to be spayed ?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toniann82

So she did have another baby that she could not pass. The vet said that the babies most likely stopped growing due to the rat poison and she aborted them - or went into labor too early so no survivors this time around. She is very loveable post pregnancy- I'm surprised. She is still covered in blood, but she's wanting love. So gross but - its nice to know she's a good keep. She keeps walking around crying, which is sad but otherwise she is good. She bled a little earlier but she is eating & roaming around. I am going to take her into another vet for a check up monday- urgent care kicked my butt... Thanks for the help every one. I have two new strays sitting on my porch- sooo not gonna happen. I also have three more blood spots I can not remove- 1 on a futon and two on my carpet- any wonder tricks would be great

Toniann
I am so sorry she is morning her lose but now is a good time to cuddle and take a nap. Also a great time to be spayed. So how will the rat poision do for her now is she in the clear.

toniann82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to keep her inside & have her spayed once we move. Once my hubby comes home we are moving to a new army post. Looks like kitty is going to TN- I'm such a sucker

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hydrogen peroxide is great for getting bloodstains out, but it can sometimes have a bleaching effect if left for too long. If you use some, make sure you blot out all the hydrogen peroxide afterwards. If you need something even stronger, mix half and half hydrogen peroxide and dishwashing soap. Alternatively, half hydrogen peroxide and half carpet cleaner, if you've got some around.

I once used the HP and dish soap combo to get a several day old red wine stain out of a light pink shirt. I'd never have believed it would work.

I'm glad your new addition is doing alright.

tjwharton24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peroxide does wonders.. Poor the peroxide on the blood stains pat up with towel

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if the carpet is black it will be gray or red it will be pink. Peroxid does fade the colors in my experiense. HMMM What color is your carpet.