Do You Have Direct Tv, Comcast, Hbo?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
comcast cut off the hbo, and you can't get it unless you have a box, the box is 5 a month for the first one, and a dollar each more. would cost me 70 a month for a year and then 78 a month. direct tv has a deal that ends up being 43 a month with hbo. seems like a no brainer, but you never know. Don't like the idea of attaching that thing to the house. You can have it on a tripod on the ground, but I think the trees will be in the way. Haven't checked out dish tv. What is your experience? Is there soemthing else I should check out?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have dish, it is attached to the roof of our house, we also have cable so we can get the local channels. We don't have the HBO's and stuff no more, we hardly watched the movies.

We also have a dish sattelite that we use when we go camping, all we have to do is take the box out of the computer room.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our comcast was bought out by time-warner recently..and it is still expensive to have, either way..I have 2 boxes, and then just basic cable for the rest of the tv's here..

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go sattelite! Mom has dish network and loves it. The cost of 3 boxes, 3 premium channels is equal to basic comcast with one box. We had the dish for many many years and never had any issues?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have direct tv, & i really like it. be aware that when you ask a question like this, however, you're more likely to get responses from those who are unhappy with whatever they have then from those who are satisfied. my only complaint is that i sometimes lose the picture during really bad weather.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Direct TV, too. I don't mind the dish being on the house...it's not that big. In fact, I couldn't even tell you just where it is. Like Laureen, the only complaint is that we lose the signal in thunderstorms.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't get too bad of storms during the summer here, but sometimes the snow will get packed on the dish and block the signal. It's usually not bad, though, and if we had our druthers (we live in a townhome, so the HOA decides where we can have it), we'd have it low enough to just wipe off when it snows hard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting coments about the weather and the snow. Dish is different than direct right? I think I need to look that up, might be better than direct. Comcast cable is so greedy, I wouldn't have even known about these other things if they didn't force me to. Now I am glad I did. Will researh dish tomorrow. I am worried, though, about putting holes in the roof. Maybe they can attach it to my back porch. Then I could wipe it off, but it will be an eyesore. thanks for the info. keep it coming if there is more.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Comcast and while I like it, I'm tired of how the rates keep going up. We have a DVR Box, a box in the bedroom, and both of them have the interactive guide and special remote. $81

I will never go to Direct TV though. We have it at work and I hate navigating the menu, having to wade through pages of pay channels, and the fact that they have the uber basic package that doesn't get even half the cable channels you'd normally get like lifetime, comedy central, tbs etc..

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a small cable company that has been very good. I use them for the TV and internet access. I never looked into getting a dish because the cable has been so good. All the cable lines and electricity lines are all underground here though.

With getting a dish, you have to make sure you can point it in the right direction. You might locate a spot at your home to put it but you have to make sure it can reach the satellite from that spot.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Direct tv here
I never have any problems ever during storms......and we dont get HBO or anything. They offer those like every so often, free for a weekend or something. We also just do pay per view alot too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Direct TV and yes it does go out during bad storms, but so does the power.
No power = no tv at all.

We use local cable for internet and they're awful. If we relied in it for tv it would be out all the darn time and no one would be able to ever fix it when called.

You can choose to put the dish on a pole (like we have it) and likely a porch, as long as it isn't blocked off.

Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I will never go to Direct TV though. We have it at work and I hate navigating the menu, having to wade through pages of pay channels, and the fact that they have the uber basic package that doesn't get even half the cable channels you'd normally get like lifetime, comedy central, tbs etc..
This is really dependent on the area. We get all those channels and the local channels included. The movie packages are really a waste unless you like original series on hbo or showtime, otherwise most of the movies are rerun all the time, old ones that are shown on main channels included in the basic and choice package, or just plain boring.

I agree the numbering for the channels is a pain, but after a while you memorize the channel numbers
and being able to scan ahead in the onscreen guide and mark stuff to "remind you later" or if you have a dvr record it, is nice.

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We Love our, we love our, we love our DirecTV!

Get the DVR. Priceless. And run extra cables to the DVR from the dish. This way, you can record more than one show in the same time slot.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The deal for direct tv is 34.95 a month for 185 stations, and free hbo and cinemax for three months. after three months I can get hbo and 140 channels for 43 dollars a month. this is for a year.I checked the stations and the extra 45 are not anythjing I am interested in. After a year it will be 39.99 a monthe plus 13 a month for hbo. 53 a mo. unless they raise the prices next year. I should ask if there is going to be a major increase. All the installation is free. What happens if the dish needs service? Do they charge to come out?

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

The deal for direct tv is 34.95 a month for 185 stations, and free hbo and cinemax for three months. after three months I can get hbo and 140 channels for 43 dollars a month. this is for a year.I checked the stations and the extra 45 are not anythjing I am interested in. After a year it will be 39.99 a monthe plus 13 a month for hbo. 53 a mo. unless they raise the prices next year. I should ask if there is going to be a major increase. All the installation is free. What happens if the dish needs service? Do they charge to come out?
We have not been charged for each time we've had them come out to upgrade to a different dish...we got the HD dish....and then when they came out to do more wiring for us. So, I don't think you are charged.

Also, consider that you will have to pay taxes and federal fees on that amout, so it will be a bit higher. We have the premium 185 package, two receivers and DVRs and get the Showtime package (because we are big fans of the new Showtime show DEXTER) so our cost (with taxes etc.) comes to about $80.00 a month.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well idk wat my dad pays but we do have comcast, and we do have the boxes for hbo but we only have 2 and all the other t.v's in the house get basic cable (i got a box tho because I am daddys lil girl
) but we do get normal hbo on all the just cable t.v's my dad wont ever go to direct tv or satelite or whatever he looses some of his music channels and he likes his basic ones and what not

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, just cable here. I find it hard enough to select something to watch from only 50-some channels.

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dish network sux big time all the hidden fees and stuff, my BIL works there as a customer representative and we can get dicounted rates and I don't even want it, and where we live it was always losing signal and something was always wrong with it.....I have direct tv and the only time the signal goes out is when it is stormy....I have never had a problem with it and if something goes wrong a tech comes out to fix it with it for no extra charge.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears the only drawback is storms, but that could be pretty major. We get some pretty wild weather several times a year. Doe it go out momentarily, or for hours? that would really suk