Quality wet food help please

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I switched my kitties over to Chicken Soup kitten food a while ago and while they totally LOVE the dry food they hardly touch the wet food. They were eating Fancy Feast w/gravy before and I dont think that they like the smooshy texture of the Chicken Soup food. Does anyone know if there are good quality wet cat foods that have chunks/gravy?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro s max gormet classics in the 3oz cans .... Nutros max and natural choice pouches ... Solid golds tuna... sheba s tubs ... many others but I have had a long night

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Merrick canned cat food has a number of different flavors that are chunky with gravy. My kitties prefer the 'chunks & gravy' style cat foods as well!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also vote for Merrick's. I tried at least 7 different brands of good food and they didn't like anything but the Merrick's. It's pricey, but it is good quality.

I just picked up 2 cases of the 5.5 ounce cans - 24 Granny's Pot Pie and 24 Thanksgiving Day Dinner - last night to the tune of $96.00

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a little pricey for us
There is a store in our area that sells it though so we'll check it out and see what price it is there. Thanks for the suggestions,I hadn't realized that there were so many options
We'll definately find something that works for both of my finicky boys (the thing's that we do for our cat's
)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

Wow, that's a little pricey for us
There is a store in our area that sells it though so we'll check it out and see what price it is there. Thanks for the suggestions,I hadn't realized that there were so many options
We'll definately find something that works for both of my finicky boys (the thing's that we do for our cat's
)
I think you will find it is much cheaper in the US than it is here in Canada. If it's comparable in price to the better foods, I would definitely recommend you try it.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just incorporated wet food in their diet and the two just go crazy over the Nutro Max and Nutro Natural Complete. This brand includes an ingredient that reduces the chance of UTI. The price is very reasonable. Thanks to Sharky!

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have fed Merrick's to numerous foster's and my own cats, and no one has turned their nose up to it. I can get the 5 oz. cans here for only $.99. The 3 oz. cans are $.79.

I just picked up 2 cases of the 5.5 ounce cans - 24 Granny's Pot Pie and 24 Thanksgiving Day Dinner - last night to the tune of $96.00
Yosemite, I think you were overcharged. I could get 2 cases for $50. I think you can get it for about that on petfooddirect.com too, even with shipping.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I have fed Merrick's to numerous foster's and my own cats, and no one has turned their nose up to it. I can get the 5 oz. cans here for only $.99. The 3 oz. cans are $.79.

Yosemite, I think you were overcharged. I could get 2 cases for $50. I think you can get it for about that on petfooddirect.com too, even with shipping.
Your getting a great deal ... almost wholesale ... see evan on merricks site I think 1.69 for a 6oz is about ave ..within 35 miles from me merrick ranges from 99 cents for 3 oz to 1.69 for 3 oz ... 6oz run 139 -2.39 .. Yosemite is in Canada and things are $$$ than here in the US...

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't able to find Merrick cat food. Both places that carry Merrick only had Dog food
So back to the drawing board. I found Felidae(sp?) and Wellness. I bought a can of Felidae but it's mushy too and they didn't eat a whole lot of it. I'd rather find something that can be bought locally than have to buy online. Shipping charges seem so high. Hopefully I can find something that they like

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kittiesx2, it might be worth hunting down some other pet stores in your area (I am in WA state too, and I've found Merrick in loads of pet stores).

Good luck with your quest for the perfect food. The things we do for kitty love.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in the Spokane area ( idaho side)... Merrick cat food is hard to find ... three stores i know of have it but only two or three flavors..

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local pet store did not stock it. I asked her to order in cases specifically for me and she willingly did so. Now there is another lady in town that just got a ragdoll kitty and is also feeding Merrick so the pet store has begun stocking this food. Often if you shop at the same pet store all the time, they are quite happy to order whatever food you like.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great idea , I'll ask about that. If they carry Merrick in Dogfood I guess that it wouldn't be much more difficult to order it in catfood for me
I need to find someplace that carries it first though so that they can try it first.I wouldn't want to buy a case of food that they won't eat
I think that I found a petstore that carries it but it's 30 min's away. I'll have to try to get there sometime this week.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

Great idea , I'll ask about that. If they carry Merrick in Dogfood I guess that it wouldn't be much more difficult to order it in catfood for me
I need to find someplace that carries it first though so that they can try it first.I wouldn't want to buy a case of food that they won't eat
I think that I found a petstore that carries it but it's 30 min's away. I'll have to try to get there sometime this week.
What about going on Merrick's web site and plain outright asking for some samples? Send them an e-mail saying someone suggested trying their food but you don't want to ask your store to order in a whole case if your cats don't like it. Ask if they have any sample sizes they could provide to you. The worst they can say is no. As they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained". If it turns out the kitties don't like them you can always donate any unopened cans to your local shelter.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made it to the pet store ( that is 30 mins away) today and Yay!

they had Merrick cat food!!
The owner of the store was there and helped me to choose a couple of varieties and is ordering several more flavors tomarrow! She even asked me to look through the catalog and pick the ones that we wanted to try

I think that it's worth the drive to have such a friendly and helpful person working with me. No other place that I've gone has offered to order food for me or listened to what I want so yeah, I think that they have made a customer for life!
She even gave me the phone number of a holistic Vet in our area the makes house calls. I am so Happy

Diesel and Tucker tried "Cowboy Cookout" tonight and even though it's still mushy they gobbled up every bite. Thank you so much for the help
I think that my kitties have found their food.

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hooray, I'm glad you found a food they like (and it sounds like the pet store is awesome!).

There are definitely some types of this brand that are the 'gravy' style if you still think they would prefer those -- off the top of my head 'Surf and Turf' and 'Grammy's Pot Pie' are definitely the chunky style.

( 'California Roll' is the mushy style though.)

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm SO happy to find something that they actually LIKE to eat

She's ordering Grammy's Pot Pie and Turducken tomarrow and so we'll try those next week and a couple of Seafood one's as well ( I can't remember the names ) She also sent a treat bag home for Diesel and Tucker AND had stickers for my kids. I can already tell that I'm going to be a VERY good customer

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention..... It was only .99 a can!! Woo-HOO!!!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I have fed Merrick's to numerous foster's and my own cats, and no one has turned their nose up to it.
I have a little stinker that turned up his nose at the Merrick's California Roll
He does however like the Cowboy cookout and Surf and Turf! Second on the Nutro pouches and cans. Also, Petsmart's Authority brand is pretty good and I know at least the Oceanfish flavor is chunky. That runs around $.59 for a 6 oz can...I pay over a dollar a can for Merricks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You folks are so lucky to get Merrick's so cheap.

Our babies won't touch anything with fish or seafood but they did like the Cowboy Cookout. They prefer Grannys Pot Pie and Thanksgiving Dinner though. They did eat one or two cans of Turducken but didn't like it after that.