GROSS smell! (rant)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's lunch time and the smells of what everyone is having is wafting around the various parts of the office. Someone is having a burger and fries. Someone is having corn chips (Fritos).

Oh god!
Someone is having SAUERKRAUT!
Not only do I hate the stuff, but that smell is enough to make me sick. I don't care that St. Patty's Day is this weekend. YUK!

Most people are conscientious about bodily odors, not wearing too much cologne. Why isn't the same consideration given to the FOOD they bring in here? There isn't much ventilation in the back area so that stench will be around for the rest of the day. It's bad enough when someone has fish, but sauerkraut? Save it for home!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you, loud and clear. I have a very obese coworker who seems to eat all day long, and will have really strong garlicky foods for breakfast at 10 a.m., because he is "starving."

I've asked him to PLEASE eat them down the hall in the breakroom, but he ignores that request and insists upon eating at his desk, just on the other side of me.

My only solution is to have a fan at my desk to blow the smells away from me, and a yummy smelling yankee candle to light when it is REALLY bad.

Oh - and I just LOVE when folks use the microwave to heat up fish - then the entire office smells for DAYS, not to mention the microwave gets all stinky, too.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100%. There are one or two people in my office who have fish on a regular basis. I love fish, but usually when I get it, it's baked or fried or prepared in some way that when it's reheated, it smells like fish but it's not overwhelming. But when these ladies make fish it chokes you and of course it wafts through the office...that and burnt popcorn.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I was a smelly food eater

I would bring in the Thai, the sausages,etc. Finally people started saying "There's Jenney with her smelly food".

So now I buy non-smelly food like sandwiches and soups and such.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah, we have some smelly food here every once in awhile too
and you're right, Rob, burnt popcorn is the worst

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

yeah, we have some smelly food here every once in awhile too
and you're right, Rob, burnt popcorn is the worst
Actually, I'd take the smell of burnt popcorn any day over some of the ethnic food people in my office eat (think chicken feet, curried goat....)

YUCK, YUCK, YUCK

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Oh god!
Someone is having SAUERKRAUT!
Not only do I hate the stuff, but that smell is enough to make me sick. I don't care that St. Patty's Day is this weekend. YUK!
I thought sauerkraut was a German dish - didnt know it had links with an Irish holiday

I hate food smells in the wrong place - buses, trains and of course in offices unless its in the cafeteria area !

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

I thought sauerkraut was a German dish - didnt know it had links with an Irish holiday
It is German, but it is made from fermented cabbage. Cabbage is stinky no matter how you cook it, and boiled dinner (brisket, potatoes, carrots & cabbage, with some variations) is a traditional St. Paddy's Day meal in the USA. Not in Ireland, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

sauerkraut is German... Cornbeef and Cabbage is Irish not fermented and much better tasting
Yeah, but I think Corned Beef and Sauerkraut is the non-cooking-guy's idea of an Irish/St. Patty's Day meal. And considering we have a lot of single guys working here...well, it makes sense from their perspective.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh i about gag when i go into the kitchen and someone ate tuna fish and threw the can in the trash can without washing it out. I mean it smells up the whole place...you'd think that people would be more considerate!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always forgo the cabage on my st pats day meal i canttake the smell, lol

So i make corned beef and lots of taters, and a salad, lol

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work in a clothing factory and there was an open lounge type area next to the area I worked in that had long tables where some people ate their lunch instead of in the cafeteria.

Some of the things that people brought were so disgusting to look at (like cooked eyeballs among other things!! *shivers*), but much of it really stunk up the place. I only ate there once but when I saw someone open a foil pouch containing cooked eyeballs and everyone eating out of the same dishes like a community, I was so grossed out. I ate in the cafeteria after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I used to work in a clothing factory and there was an open lounge type area next to the area I worked in that had long tables where some people ate their lunch instead of in the cafeteria.

Some of the things that people brought were so disgusting to look at (like cooked eyeballs among other things!! *shivers*), but much of it really stunk up the place. I only ate there once but when I saw someone open a foil pouch containing cooked eyeballs and everyone eating out of the same dishes like a community, I was so grossed out. I ate in the cafeteria after that.
Oh good god - that makes sauerkraut seem appetizing!
I would have been running for the restroom if I had seen that!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing that bothers me is when someone burns their microwave popcorn. Someone even posted exact directions for it on the microwave but someone always manages to burn theirs. They probably think they know better than the directions on the microwave.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Someone I used to work with microwaved cabbage and onions every day at lunchtime

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I steamed some broccoli and cauliflower the other night, and about an hour later my doorbell went and it was the girl from the company who made my curtains dropping off some cushions they had made

I had to tell her to excuse the smell and told her what i'd been cooking but i was mortified because the whole house stank!