TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Question Re: MP3 players/computers...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question Re: MP3 players/computers...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Okay, this might be a completely retarded question but I seriously don't know the answer..

As you know, a while ago I had some computer problems, and had to wipe my hard drive. So, obviously, I lost all my music from my computer.

Now, I have some of the music currently on my MP3 player and I am wondering if its possible to put the songs back onto my computer FROM my mp3 player?

Thanks guys!
post #2 of 14
Sure, after you plug the mp3 player back into the computer.
it should set its self up as device under the my computer icon.

then just open it up find the music there, and drag it back over.
however the bad part is if i remember right you had some virus? please scan it first or you may just put the virus back on the PC,
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
Sure, after you plug the mp3 player back into the computer.
it should set its self up as device under the my computer icon.

then just open it up find the music there, and drag it back over.
however the bad part is if i remember right you had some virus? please scan it first or you may just put the virus back on the PC,
Aaaah :censor::censor::censor::censor:, do you think the virus could be in the songs???
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Okay, this might be a completely retarded question but I seriously don't know the answer..

As you know, a while ago I had some computer problems, and had to wipe my hard drive. So, obviously, I lost all my music from my computer.

Now, I have some of the music currently on my MP3 player and I am wondering if its possible to put the songs back onto my computer FROM my mp3 player?

Thanks guys!
Just plug the MP3 player into the USB port on your computer and then go to My Computer and it should be right in front of you.

P.S. Don't worry about whether or not a question is retarded. After all, we are both part of the FREAKS club
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Aaaah :censor::censor::censor::censor:, do you think the virus could be in the songs???

Not in the songs but maybe on the device, so if you can just scan it first, it should be good.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Okay, this might be a completely retarded question but I seriously don't know the answer..

As you know, a while ago I had some computer problems, and had to wipe my hard drive. So, obviously, I lost all my music from my computer.

Now, I have some of the music currently on my MP3 player and I am wondering if its possible to put the songs back onto my computer FROM my mp3 player?

Thanks guys!
I don't know the answer to the file transferring, but can I ask why you didn't burn any files you wanted to save to CDs so you didn't lose them?

Each time I do a reformat I spend some hours before hand burning stuff to CDs. Then I reformat and then transfer the data back.

I always keep backups of my files too in case I have a computer melt down. I have so much graphic content on my computer... gigs and gigs worth, that I would be in tears if I lost it.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
I don't know the answer to the file transferring, but can I ask why you didn't burn any files you wanted to save to CDs so you didn't lose them?

Each time I do a reformat I spend some hours before hand burning stuff to CDs. Then I reformat and then transfer the data back.

I always keep backups of my files too in case I have a computer melt down. I have so much graphic content on my computer... gigs and gigs worth, that I would be in tears if I lost it.
I did make backup cds, but I am scared to put them back on because of the virus. I only made the backups when I already had the virus...so if I put the backup cds in, they could add the virus along with the info that is on them.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
Not in the songs but maybe on the device, so if you can just scan it first, it should be good.
On the device? The device doesn't have a hard drive..it is a flash mp3 player...Would that still apply?
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
I did make backup cds, but I am scared to put them back on because of the virus. I only made the backups when I already had the virus...so if I put the backup cds in, they could add the virus along with the info that is on them.
Just scan the files on the discs, mp3s won't be viruses. Anything in zips, exes, and certain image formats can possibly contain a virus.
There's a good chance that none of your files are infected, the virus came directly from a link (it was the msn thing right?) and onto your comp.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
On the device? The device doesn't have a hard drive..it is a flash mp3 player...Would that still apply?
Yup, you do have a virus scanner right? Like Norton or McAfee?

Just plug the MP3 player in and open up you A/V scanner. Scan that particular device (usually custom scan and pick the device - the computer assigns it a drive letter).

If its clean, you're good to go
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone!!
post #12 of 14
The important lesson from this appears to be MAKE BACK UPS

If you own an iPod its not possible- I accidently wiped my version of Killdozer doing 'American Pie' and now I can listen to it on my iPod (which I have speakers for ) but cannot put it back on my puter
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
The important lesson from this appears to be MAKE BACK UPS

If you own an iPod its not possible- I accidently wiped my version of Killdozer doing 'American Pie' and now I can listen to it on my iPod (which I have speakers for ) but cannot put it back on my puter
It is possible, I transfer mp3 files from my home computer to my work one all the time using my iPod!
Just plug it in, close iTunes and drag and drop from the drive letter it makes in my computer
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
The important lesson from this appears to be MAKE BACK UPS

If you own an iPod its not possible- I accidently wiped my version of Killdozer doing 'American Pie' and now I can listen to it on my iPod (which I have speakers for ) but cannot put it back on my puter
They try to trick you into thinking it isn't possible, but it can be done.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Question Re: MP3 players/computers...