Please read .... Not just for cat owners

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gigi last night was I thought weezing /.... She was HAVING a MASSIVE allergic reaction, Luckily I knew a swollen tongue with her not answering me in the normal way was an EMERGENCY and got her to the ER clinic..IT SAVED HER LIFE..She required multiple hours in an O2 cage .... Long story short shell *knock on wood * be fine and IS GOING to her ACCUPUcture appt later this morning.... Know the signs of anaphylaxis and have a $$ cushion... I got lucky they took CARE CREDIT) intrest free for a yr) and her Grandma offered to pay so I didnt have to use the emergency funds card.....

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had something similar happen to Butterbean after her first full round of annuals. She was doing the loaf sit, but up on all four feet, was lethargic, and (being white) was hot pink everywhere there was white skin showing! My DH said "She'll be fine" , but I knew something was wrong (thank you, Lord) and I took her to the emergency pet clinic (of course it always seems to happen after 10pm
) and they said she was in antiphylactic shock, and that she would have died if I hadn't brought her in!

Now she gets an antihistamine shot before her annuals

I'm glad Gigi is okay! It's so scary!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ever find out what she was allergic too?

That's always scary :/

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How scary, do you know what she reacted too?
One of my grandsons has severe allergies and has an epi-pen for emergencies.
do they do anything like that for animals?

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow, good thing you recognized the signs and brought her in. any idea what it was- did she eat something outside? i hope she's feeling better.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy...glad to hear Gigi is going to be fine...now, is your heartrate back to normal yet??
ps...when you can, please answer my pm from a couple of days ago.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, too scary! Poor baby..and poor you, too. Glad to hear Gigi is okay and isn't is great that you were able to recognize "something's wrong"? Did you figure out what caused the reaction?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO glad she is going to be ok. Any idea what caused the reaction? I have been around people having a reaction like that, but never an animal.

Lots of hugs for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Oh boy...glad to hear Gigi is going to be fine...now, is your heartrate back to normal yet??
ps...when you can, please answer my pm from a couple of days ago.
I think by tonight my heartrate will be normal ... thank you for asking

I will pm you as soon as some cells start fuctioning

Thank you all ... Gigi turned up allergic to all her treats ... and many meats.. so for six weeks she is eating br rice, raw chicken, sweet potato s and califlower

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really scary.
Thank heavens you spotted her reaction in time to get her help.
It sound like her diet will be a challenge.

Thanks for the reminder that we all need to be sure we have a way to pay for emergency care.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW! How scary that must have been (for BOTH of you!) I have several friends who are severely allergic to things and can go into anaphalaxis (sp), so I hope I could recognise it if it were to happen to one of my babies!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would never have thought about anaphylatic shock in animals!
So glad that Gigi is going to be OK.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How frightening for both of you. I'm so glad that Gigi will be OK. It's surprising that she hasn't reacted before. Maybe some allergies have to build up over time.
Hugs to both of you and good health vibes to Gigi.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes her allergies happen over time ... we have to periodically test to ensure I am not posioning my precious ....

Last night I thought she was choking... I have seen this in Kandie also( hers was not severe)... Gigis tongue thickened and was also purple instead of pink... her gums were pale and when touched they didnt pink up and she sounded like me having a asthma attack ... I only knew the signs of choking and thus treated her at home for that and when it didnt clear off to the ER we went ... I am lucky the ER vet for the area is a mile away

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's really frightening, Jennifer, and thanks for reminding everybody about the need for a "financial cushion" for such emergencies.
We had a dog who was allergic to bee stings, and Gigi's symptoms sound quite like his were. It meant a mad rush to the vet's whenever he was stung, because he couldn't breathe. We eventually were forced to keep "Epi-pens" on hand - I wonder if they'd help in Gigi's case?