TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Aggravating
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aggravating

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'd like to share something with you all.

My sister-in-law is house hunting. She's tired of paying rent....finally! I voluteered to go with her, to be the unbiased third party and sort of check things out for potential problems.

We looked at a place this afternoon, and while my SIL was going through the place for the 2nd time, I was chatting with the home owner on the porch. The subject of cats came up and I explained that we breed bengals. The home owner explained that she has two cats, but they are moggies and outdoor cats. Then she went on to tell me her female cat "stays" pregnant all the time.
She must have seen the look on my face, because right away she said, "oh I don't have much trouble finding homes for them".

This is the mind set where we live. Cats should be outdoors and not altered and it's ok for them to have litter after litter.

People who think like this woman, are the reasons shelters fill up. It's not the breeders.

For anyone who responds, keep it civil. I'm just sharing a story and we all know this subject has been debated to death.
post #2 of 16
Its so frusterating Nial

Unfortuantely - John's mom is the same way (thank God he isn't!!). Harley and Davidson's mom has been pregnant FOUR times since Harley's litter. How sad
They never get her fixed, and when I bring it up, they say- "Oh, we will"
And then she complains when they have kittens that they can't find homes for!!

I WAS going to spay her after Davidson was born, but then I lost my job, and she got pregnant again!! Its sooo frusterating to see, she's always getting outside, and getting pregnant right away.

I'm really hoping that after I get a job, I'll be able to spay her, and then find her a good loving home
post #3 of 16
It is a sad mentality that's for sure.
post #4 of 16
I grew up on a farm in Kansas many years ago and that was the mentality there also. In fact cats weren't really pets, most were barn cats. Dogs were kept as pets and females were usually spayed but the male dogs were very rarely neutered.
post #5 of 16
one of my childhood best friends' mother is like that. I got mikey from her. She had two or three females last time I checked. always having babies in the spring. One time she had an outbreak of fleas and they got on a week old litter and all the babies died. I dunno if fleas did it but..come on!
post #6 of 16
its not just the area you live in Nial, its the whole country that's why MILLIONS of cats are put down every year, I mean if you really think about it, how many pregnancies do we see just on this site alone? far, far too many. and I totally agree with you, its not good, ethical breeders like you who are contributing to the pet overpopulation, you cater to a group of select few, those that *usually* take excellent care of their pets, and do not let them run around outside unaltered. What most folks do not understand is that yes, you may be able to find homes for your kittens, but for every kitten born unneccessarily that you find a home for, is one kitten in a shelter that dies (and I use you as in general) if you would have altered your cat like a RESPONSIBLE pet owner, that many less kittens would have died honestly, its totally disgusting to me
post #7 of 16
Oooooh I know how angry that must have made you!!

A couple of months ago at work, one of my colleagues introduced me to one of their patients, whose dogs had just had a litter of 12 puppies, because she knew I liked dogs.

This is how our conversation went:

Me: `Oh, are you a registered breeder?'
Patient: `Oh, no. We've just got a beautiful German Shepherd and I've heard you can make lots of money from selling the puppies'.
Me: `Oh right. What kind of health testing did you do on the parents?'
Patient: `Well, they're good dogs. Nice and fit. Would you be interested?'
Me: `Unfortunately not. I don't believe in producing lives for profit'
Patient: `Oh, we're not doing it for the money'.

???????????????????

Didn't you just say you were?

Anyway, my poor collegue high-tailed it out of there as quickly as possible - she said I virtually ate the poor guy!! I didn't mean to, either, but if there's one thing that drives me nuts it's backyard breeders. I just CAN'T stay quiet around them.
post #8 of 16
OOOH, that would of made my blood boil! I dont take kindly people that use animals like that! "Shes always pregnant" yadda yadda yadda!!
My DH grandma just recently got a west highland terrier(Im pretty sure) and she was used just for breeding!! It really made me mad.....they said her whold life was just knowing a kennel. shes stil coming out of her shell, bless her heart.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Oooooh I know how angry that must have made you!!

A couple of months ago at work, one of my colleagues introduced me to one of their patients, whose dogs had just had a litter of 12 puppies, because she knew I liked dogs.

This is how our conversation went:

Me: `Oh, are you a registered breeder?'
Patient: `Oh, no. We've just got a beautiful German Shepherd and I've heard you can make lots of money from selling the puppies'.
Me: `Oh right. What kind of health testing did you do on the parents?'
Patient: `Well, they're good dogs. Nice and fit. Would you be interested?'
Me: `Unfortunately not. I don't believe in producing lives for profit'
Patient: `Oh, we're not doing it for the money'.

???????????????????

Didn't you just say you were?

Anyway, my poor collegue high-tailed it out of there as quickly as possible - she said I virtually ate the poor guy!! I didn't mean to, either, but if there's one thing that drives me nuts it's backyard breeders. I just CAN'T stay quiet around them.

That's the funniest story I've heard today!

Anyways, OK, so since we allow ourselves to go outside (err...women I mean) does that mean I should come home pregnant all the time?
Female humans are not meant to have reproduction after reproduction. At some point in our like we are *fixed* whether through menopause or hysterectomy.

I had one vet tell me that its worse to be a female animal than a female human. female animals are more prone to ovarian cysts, unless fixed (then no more ovaries = no more cysts).
post #10 of 16
Every spring and fall there is this house that puts up a free kitten sign. I so badly want to stop and say something to these people but I am afraid I can't control my anger.
And recently my sister bred her non registered pomeranian to sell the puppies for money. I was so furious. And she knows all about the pet overpopulation but obviously doesn't care. Well all the puppies but one died. I had to lecture that is why breeding should be left to breeders who have done research and know all the dogs health and genetics. I hope she gets that dog spayed.
post #11 of 16
My best friend and I had our first falling out in 13 years over this. Her sister was determined for their dog to have a litter, and I just kept saying `No, no - it's just not right. There's so many animals in shelters'.

My best friend said to me `Well, that's just like saying people shouldn't have any more kids cos there's so many orphans'.

I said, `Well, humans don't have up to 12 children at a time, and I'm pretty sure over 200 children a week don't get delivered to orphanages because of people just having too many of them, and when they can't sell them, they dump them there because they don't know what else to do with them'.

Anyway, we didn't speak for a few days after that, and now we don't talk about it. I can't without getting furious, and she'll never understand, so it's pointless
post #12 of 16
I was at the vet last Friday and a guy walks in and says, "I have a problem, some how my female cat took it upon herself to get pregnant." I just rolled my eyes and made a comment like,"Will wonders never cease."

He gave some elaborate speech about not knowing he had a male and a female but of course their names were Spider-man and Mary Jane. Gee, you think you might have a boy and a girl.

He told the clerk he now has 6 cats running around destroying his house and wanted them all spay and neutered. Which was great but he continues with his story about how the kittens are now 8 weeks old and it looks like the female is pregnant again. He acted like he had no clue how that could possibly have happened.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
I had one vet tell me that its worse to be a female animal than a female human. female animals are more prone to ovarian cysts, unless fixed (then no more ovaries = no more cysts).
Absolutely! It is a sad fact of nature that female cats reproduce quickly and often, and in nature would live very short lives doing little other than producing kittens litter after litter before dying, probably before they'd even had the chance to develop cancer or cysts. People who don't get their cats spayed because 'it's not natural' do not seem to realise how harsh nature is!
post #14 of 16
it just proves what 'value' these people put on cats & kittens
post #15 of 16
It's so hard to refrain from saying something here on the site with a subject like that, so having to hear it in person i wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
That's the funniest story I've heard today!

Anyways, OK, so since we allow ourselves to go outside (err...women I mean) does that mean I should come home pregnant all the time?
Female humans are not meant to have reproduction after reproduction. At some point in our like we are *fixed* whether through menopause or hysterectomy.

I had one vet tell me that its worse to be a female animal than a female human. female animals are more prone to ovarian cysts, unless fixed (then no more ovaries = no more cysts).
Er...not to be impertinent, but humans are animals. Weird looking animals that have to wear clothes, but animals nonetheless.

Ovarian cysts are pretty common among humans too, from what I hear. Not to mention tons of other reproductive problems. I think it's nature's way of saying "enough! too many humans."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Aggravating