Spring Cleaning

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I started spring cleaning. It's a monumental task that seems to never look as big as it ends up. It's nice to have the windows all open and the fans on.

I tend to start a million little cleaning/organizing jobs that distract me from the big task. What about you guys? Anyone start spring cleaning yet?

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doesn't it feel like you just finished your last round of spring cleaning?

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ill use the excuse that its not actually spring yet....and in a couple weeks, Ill come up with a new excuse! (seriously the fridge needs doing and I **HATE** that)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I do "spring cleaning" which I do throughout the year and not just in the spring, I tend to do jobs that I've been putting off such as cleaning off flat surfaces, cleaning out filing cabinets / drawers etc. Then I move into my food cupboards and wipe those out. Then my fridge. Closets tend to get organized whenever I see that they need it.

The only big job that I put off until I absolutely need to is defrosting my chest deep freezer. Defrosting it is easy.. wiping out the bottom is not so easy.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh...I second the defrosting thing. Not such a fun task.

I want to start spring cleaning, since I'm on my spring break at school...but I'm too busy unwinding from not having my students to stress me out.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did some yesterday, and my SO actually helped me. We went to Sam's Club and bought new rugs for the front door, and a bunch of cleaning supplies. He did the floors in the kitchen and dining room so far.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

When I do "spring cleaning" which I do throughout the year and not just in the spring, I tend to do jobs that I've been putting off such as cleaning off flat surfaces, cleaning out filing cabinets / drawers etc. Then I move into my food cupboards and wipe those out. Then my fridge. Closets tend to get organized whenever I see that they need it.

The only big job that I put off until I absolutely need to is defrosting my chest deep freezer. Defrosting it is easy.. wiping out the bottom is not so easy.
I'm with you Natalie...spring cleaning? what's that? Many of these tasks should be done throughout the year. I think spring cleaning was actually first thought up by many of our ancestors who had to have their homes closed up tight against the elements during cold, hard winters...heating their homes & cooking with wood burning stoves or fireplaces...the soot from open flames like that would build up throughout their homes and thus 'spring cleaning' was a huge thing!

Nowadays, with central heating and all, there's really no need to put off cleaning until spring y'all!
Well for those of y'all who have been puttin' this off til spring...good luck and happy spring to ya!

Hilda>^..^<

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's easy to clean up around the house on a daily basis, but for me spring cleaning is when I pull out all the furniture of each room one by one and do a big scrub down. I steam the carpets, and polish the hardwoods, magic erase the walls, etc. No matter how much you clean regularly, you'd be surprised at what might be waiting for you when you pull out some furniture =). I found a total of 4 laser pointers so far. Those things disapear as fast as I find them though.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, and packing the winter clothes too. I know it's a bit early for that, but I'm hoping mother nature takes a hint.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

It's easy to clean up around the house on a daily basis, but for me spring cleaning is when I pull out all the furniture of each room one by one and do a big scrub down. I steam the carpets, and polish the hardwoods, magic erase the walls, etc. No matter how much you clean regularly, you'd be surprised at what might be waiting for you when you pull out some furniture =). I found a total of 4 laser pointers so far. Those things disapear as fast as I find them though.
Cairo...yep, with little ones around it is amazing what will turn up under furniture! As for winter clothes...in our area (Houston, TX)...our winter clothes are worn pretty much year round!

Hey...I just checked out your Cairo & Paris kitten videos in your siggy...HOW PRECIOUS THOSE TWO ARE!!!!!!!!!!! Oooohhhh mmmyyyy gggooooodddnnneeesssssssss! I love 'em! Is that your place in the vids? I LOVE YOUR FLOORS! Just beautiful!

Hilda>^..^<

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At mom's house Spring Cleaning meant moving all the furniture to the middle of the room and cleaning the walls and baseboards. Oh I hate that job! We have so much furniture in the apartment that I will save that job for when we move. With the open floor plan I can't finish it in one day and it grosses me out to clean some and not others.

Today I am finally dusting. I used to love dusting but I have so many candles and such out that I hate cleaning. I hate doing the windows are the apartment. They slide to the middle and you can barely reach the middle. I have to hang out the window. I have never seen anyone clean them. They were so nasty when we moved in.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Cairo...yep, with little ones around it is amazing what will turn up under furniture! As for winter clothes...in our area (Houston, TX)...our winter clothes are worn pretty much year round!

Hey...I just checked out your Cairo & Paris kitten videos in your siggy...HOW PRECIOUS THOSE TWO ARE!!!!!!!!!!! Oooohhhh mmmyyyy gggooooodddnnneeesssssssss! I love 'em! Is that your place in the vids? I LOVE YOUR FLOORS! Just beautiful!

Hilda>^..^<
Thanks! Yah that was my place while we were still unpacking from the move. We got Paris the day after we signed on the house, and Cairo 10 days later.

I'm jealous that you have summer all year around.
I'm starting to see buds on the trees though, and the birds are already nesting.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

Today I am finally dusting. I used to love dusting but I have so many candles and such out that I hate cleaning. I hate doing the windows are the apartment. They slide to the middle and you can barely reach the middle. I have to hang out the window. I have never seen anyone clean them. They were so nasty when we moved in.
Ugh, I feel your pain on those. We now have the kind that you can snap inside so they come down and can be cleaned really easily. But we lived in an apartment before where we had to wait for the annual exterior window washing which they did in May (!!!). What were they thinking?! Within a week of them cleaning it, pollen would be all over the windows and it was like they had never been cleaned.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm forced to do spring cleaning this year. Had my kitchen remodeled and the ceiling in my dining room restructured. In the process, about 6 lawn sized bags of insulation fell into my house. Not to mention the drywall installation (can you say dust) and plaster texturing. It was so bad it clogged my furnace vents and I almost blew out my heat pump. Had to change the air purifier filters about every 2 weeks and we've all been sneezing thru the ordeal.

Hubby and I agreed that we're going to tackle it room by room thru the entire house. We're assuming that it'll take about 2-4 hours per room. I just bought a new carpet shampooer on the way home from work today - my 17 year old Bissell blew out its main hose last month and it's too old to repair.

It's not going to be fun. Thank heavens we have a hot tub to relieve the aching muscles.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my...I feel for you and your hubby! Just take it one room at a time...and have a good soak afterwards!

Hilda>^..^<

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its too early to do most of the spring cleaning-its kinda hard to wash the windows when the temps are about freezing. The snow is melting rapidly and it makes for a very muddy yard. And since we do heat with wood (usually until Mid May) I have to wash the family room walls as they do get some smoke coverage!! Right now I'm shoveling the big snow piles onto the driveway so they can melt faster!!
When we were growing up mom used to take everything out of the kitchen drawers and cupboards and we would wash and scrub the marks off(they were painted) and then put everything back.
My chest freezer needs to be emptied-I should have done this in Feb when we had the below zero temps!!