Why am I so scared to call the doctor? (Sorry, long)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not afraid of the doctor or dentist, but for some reason I just don't want to go to the doctor for this. Maybe someone else has had this experience. I have a terrible hip. I guess terrible hips is probably a better way to describe them. I was born without hip sockets, and the doctor did a pretty good job for 40+ years ago and the technology they had then. About 5 - 6 years ago I started hurting a lot and the doctor told me I was too young for hip replacement. He did do a surgery that basically broke my pelvis and put the socket back over the joint. That worked pretty well, but now I'm having big problems again. I can't put my full weight on that hip anymore - at least not without "trying" different positions first; and I had to mop the floor sitting down yesterday.
THAT ticks me off. So why don't I want to go to the doctor? Do you suppose it's because I'm afraid they'll tell me it's nothing, and there's absolutely no reason for all this pain? Maybe that's it.

Anyway - anyone have any inspiring stories to get me to call my surgeon?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I know what it's like to have problems standing or walking and that making doing routine things difficult.

I think there could be a few reasons. Like you said, maybe you're afraid that they'll tell you it's nothing and perhaps you're scared that it's something you'll always have to live with. It could be too that you've been dealing with this for so long, that you're just tired of it, and maybe you're afraid the next surgery may wind up being for nothing as you could still have the pain afterwards, and no one wants to go through something like that and not come out of it as good as they'd hoped they'd be.

I would call the doctor and just see what he/she has to say. You'll never know what the outcome might be unless you try, and then even if it doesn't work out the way you thought, you can atleast say you gave it a shot instead of wondering "What if I had called.."

Best of luck

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Theres a guy who works at my place had two hip replacements a few years ago. He still jogs and he's 76!!!.

Get to the doctor!. Weve come a long with with surgeries such as yours, so the sooner you get it done the less damage will have to be repaired, if it's necessary that is

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely call the doctor! It's amazing what they can do these days, and healing periods are much shorter than they used to be too!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I was born without hip sockets, and the doctor did a pretty good job for 40+ years ago and the technology they had then.
My cousin who is 42 years old was too. I remember her as a young toddler in casts from toes to waist with a steel bar between the feet to keep her legs spread apart. She had many surgeries.

She still has problems with her hip and has one leg a couple inches shorter than the other. She is in and out of Physio.

You should go and see a doctor because the longer you wait the more painful it will be and the more damage that is being done.

As a nurse I have seen patients in their 40's and 50's getting knee and hip replacements. I don't get this "too young" bit because if you need it you need it, especially when it starts to affect the quality of your life. When you are in the prime of your life is when you need these types of surgeries, not when you are 90 years old and can barely get out of bed into a chair even with 2 good hips. I don't understand the reasoning that some doctors use when they say "too young for joint replacement". Yes, chances are if you get one done early in life that you will need to have another replacement done, but at least you have quality of life instead of being confined to a chair or in agonizing pain.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your scared that you might have to go through another operation? No matter what the reason is though, you should still go. You won't know what can be done until you talk to the doctor.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know but if you figure it out let me know. I need knee surgery (I think... it hurts and swells and throbs randomly) and I'm just afraid to see a doctor about it. Seems like every other day I'm limping around...

Anyway, that's nothing compared to yours, but I just wanted to let you know your not alone. Who could blame you for not wanting surgery again! But, you'll be much better off to get it taken care of! Vibes to you that they can fix it and make you better again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I don't know but if you figure it out let me know. I need knee surgery (I think... it hurts and swells and throbs randomly) and I'm just afraid to see a doctor about it. Seems like every other day I'm limping around...

Anyway, that's nothing compared to yours, but I just wanted to let you know your not alone. Who could blame you for not wanting surgery again! But, you'll be much better off to get it taken care of! Vibes to you that they can fix it and make you better again!
Thank you. And thanks everyone. I think I'm truly afraid that I will go and they will say I must be imagining all this pain, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with me.
Man that would stink.

BUT, especially after reading all these encouraging words, I went to open a browser window to look up the Wheeless Textbook of Orthopedics online, and the first hit I got was the Web site of my former surgeon.
I took it as an omen and called.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that you went ahead and called!! It's truly amazing what they can do with things such as this now!

Hopefully they'll have you as good as new in no time!

In the meantime, here's some (((((less pain vibes)))).

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually we delay getting medical treatment because of fear. Could be fear of bad news (and possibly another operation in your case) or fear of the unknown or fear of having to face change.

Some people would rather die than have to experience change; they are so unwilling to let go of things that make them comfortable.

Objectively ask yourself what is it you are afraid of hearing/knowing by going to the doctor.

Oops. Just saw that you called. Congratulations on taking that step. The first one is always the hardest.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with Natalie_Ca...well said! And I am glad by the end of the messages, that I read you had called. I wish for you to have this fixed and for you to be feeling better soon.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you...I'd be scared to call and find out that something is really wrong. But I'll tell you what, you've just shown that you're better than that by making that call! That's awesome! I hope whatever it is will be taken care of quickly for you so that you can begin your healing and have a pain free life to look forward to!

I applaude you!

Hilda>^..^<

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you called
You've encouraged me to.

I have horrible pain in my right hip that makes it nearly impossible to walk some days, or at least do so without falling. I've been putting off calling the doctor for quite a while because I'm afraid that since I'm only 24 that I'll be told it's nothing and to just take OTC meds.

*goes to make that call now*

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
am sorry, as someone with a busted up back. i can understand how hard it is. Plus i i hate doctors.

I wish my back was as easy to fix as my uncles hip,(and i hope yours is that way also.) he was up and walking around and driving just few days after a total hip replacment . before the operation. he had such a hard time even walking let alone working. he spend 2 days in the hospital afterSaid he wished that he had not waited that long. I asked him about the pain.
he said that next to what had been dealing with this was no pain.

I hope that kinda helps
go see the doc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm glad you called
You've encouraged me to.

I have horrible pain in my right hip that makes it nearly impossible to walk some days, or at least do so without falling. I've been putting off calling the doctor for quite a while because I'm afraid that since I'm only 24 that I'll be told it's nothing and to just take OTC meds.

*goes to make that call now*
That's awesome!
You go!

When is your appointment?

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, ya know, I've been thinking about your pain, as well as everyone else's on here, and I'm wondering if y'all have ever seen or considered seeing a chiropracter. I have seen one in our area but only a few times...I did feel better but I didn't like spending that much money on myself. My hubby has seen him too and loves it...feels great...helps his back and shoulders and everything...but again, the money issue. My sis down south sees one on a regular basis as does her daughter and my mom as well...and they have nothing but awesome things to say about it and how they feel! Any chance a chiro might help you/y'all?

In my thoughts...hope y'all feel better sooner than later...
Hilda>^..^<

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Hmmm, ya know, I've been thinking about your pain, as well as everyone else's on here, and I'm wondering if y'all have ever seen or considered seeing a chiropracter.
..... Any chance a chiro might help you/y'all?
Uh uh, No way, never again! My parents dragged me to one when I was 8 after a car wreck. While I did have a little neck pain at the time, after the chiropractor visit my lower back started giving me problems.

The massage you receive to initially relax the muscles is really what does the most good.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Uh uh, No way, never again! My parents dragged me to one when I was 8 after a car wreck. While I did have a little neck pain at the time, after the chiropractor visit my lower back started giving me problems.

The massage you receive to initially relax the muscles is really what does the most good.
Oh I'm sorry about that. I have heard stories about them...but then there are the awesome ones that I hear too! I think its like this....there are chiropracters and then there are chiropracters! It just depends on which one you happen to get a hold of...or gets a hold of you.

For instance...my mom has always had a lower back problem...suffered with it for years! This last year, she developed some sort of lump in the area...my sis took her to her personal chiro. After the first visit, mom could stand up straight and the pain was almost gone! After the 2nd visit....her lump is gone and she feels great! My sis' daughter also sees their chiro...she has (had) terrible headaches....they're gone now! It must just depend on who you happen to see I guess....

Hilda>^..^<

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

...I think I'm truly afraid that I will go and they will say I must be imagining all this pain, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with me.
Man that would stink....
And that happens all too often! When I had (undiagnosed) Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and hypothyroidism, I was gaining weight for no reason. I was a strict vegetarian, low fat, low sugar, and one stupid doctor told me, as he patted me on the shoulder in a condescending manner, "Just cut down on the steaks a little."
I found out years later I had NO metabolism, and if not for my lifestyle, I would have been 150+ lbs. heavier!

I'm glad you called your doctor! You will probably get relief from much of the pain; I'm sure there are medical advances now that will amaze you. Good luck!