Evil cat

elania

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

For the past month one of my two cats has been peeing in my bed. Both are approx. 6 years old and have been sharing the same litter box since they were kittens - and never a problem before. Not knowing which one, the only solution was to close the bedroom door when not in the room and do our best to get the smell out of the matress.

Last night, as my partner and I got into bed, Chloe jumped up on the bed between us and urinated, so now we know who the culprit is. Once she realized how ****** I was she tried to head for the hills, but I got a hold of her and told her off and made her smell the freshly wettend mattress. I have read the other posts on this site, but my problem doesn't seem to be medical, if it where a UTI, I would expect she'd pee anywhere indiscriminately, but she only pees on the bed (or in the litter box).

Also Chloe, as much as I love her, has other behavioral problems, she beats up Trixie (my other cat), she is overly vocal for food and affection , and she is often aggresive towards human visitors. Nothing I do seems to alter her behavior (ie. pulling her of poor Trix, not giving into the demands for food and affection while she's being vocal, combined with praise and pets when she's not asking for affection). Both my cats get lots of attention and love, and there is no reason for Chloë to behave as badly as she does.

I think she's peeing on the bed to punish me, because the first couple of times she did it, I was looking after my parents cavalier king charles spaniel who requires a lot of my attention, (Meg (the dog) visits us frequently, but usually for shorter periods), the next time was after I had been away for a couple of days and yesterday, I spent an hour playing with Trixie in the living room(Chloë hates me giving attention to Trix and ussually takes it out on Trix afterwards so I generally try to be discreet - Trix and I have most of our play and lovey times in the bathroom, where Trix seems to feel most at ease)

What can I do to correct Chloë's bad behavior?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Elania

I got a hold of her and told her off and made her smell the freshly wettend mattress. I have read the other posts on this site, but my problem doesn't seem to be medical
First of all, please, don't put her nose in it or tell her off
She doesn't know she's done wrong.

Has she been checked out by a vet to make sure there isn't anything wrong with her because they don't do something like that for no reason.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been checked out by a vet to make sure there isn't anything wrong with her because they don't do something like that for no reason
I agree. I'd get her to the vet to rule out any medical problems.

I'm also pretty sure that Chloe isn't "evil"; it sounds as if she just wants/needs more attention than Trixie.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think she's peeing on the bed to punish me, because the first couple of times she did it, I was looking after my parents cavalier king charles spaniel who requires a lot of my attention, (Meg (the dog) visits us frequently, but usually for shorter periods), the next time was after I had been away for a couple of days and yesterday
It may feel like it but she's trying to punish you, but cats just do not sit around thinking about how they're going to get revenge on us.
Vet check first. Get more litter boxes, one for each cat +one more is general rule. Consider the fact that you upsetting her home with the dog and you leaving can and will cause some problems. She may not feel completely secure and stable and is responding the only way a cat can. That she doesn't like visitors is normal as well, she's a relatively small furry animal and humans are big loud weird smelling things.

Get her to the vet and for now keep her out of the bedroom. You'll want to get a good enzyme cleaner for the bed, blankets and sheets as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elania

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again,

I will certainly take her to the vets ASAP, just in case the problem is medical (better safe than sorry). But based on 6 years of living with her, and the timing of the incidents I strongly suspect this is a new way of acting out.

In my defense, concerning the punishment, had I not caught her in the act I would not have reacted that way, but I cannot let her misbehave right in front of me and not react. Chloe is smart (a little too smart actually). She sat and peed on the bed and the next second she was told off. I'm sure that the connection is crystal clear in her mind.

I recognize that that looking after the dog is less than ideal for the girls and can understand that it upsets them. I can warn my visitors that Chloe, as cute and social as she seems (she likes to be downstairs when there are people over, and often greets and rubs against them, however if they try to touch her she attacks and if they say anything complimentary about her like 'cute cat', 'what a nice cat', she'll cross the room to attack - it's weird)

I'll have to ask the vet about enzyme cleaners, the one I bought at the pet store makes our room stink to high hell (although at least it's a hygenic kind of stink which is better than cat pee stink), if anyone knows of any good ones available in Europe that would usefull.

It's fine that Chloe needs more attention than Trixie - the problem is that she doesn't want to share at all. Chloe was my first cat, but she seemed to be very lonely in the apartment and I felt that she wouls be happier if she had a little friend. So when my partner phoned and said that he had found a calico kitten in the tip outside the restaurant, it seemed perfect. Trixie was very sick when we first brought her home, having probably spent most of the weekend in the tip. She had green gook running out of just about every orifice, and despite antibiotics etc. she sounded like Darth Vader for nearly two years (still does when it's cold out). Having had a bad experience with humans she was extremely wary of us at first. I have spent years coaxing Trix and gaining her trust and she's finally getting to the point of wanting to be friends.
Chloe did seem happier not being left alone, but she has always bullied Trix and as I said previously, if Trix comes to me for attention anywhere but the bathroom she gets beaten up and that's not cool.
Is there anyway to encourage Chloe to be less jealouse?

Ps. thank you all very much for your suggestions and taking the time to respond.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, give her lots of private attention. She has no way of understanding why you give/gave Trixie more, or why a dog(!) was there, just that she felt threatened in some way and, after all, how many ways do cats have to communicate their feeings? So take it as it was meant, don't punish her for having figured out a way to get your attention, and work from there. PS she might also be jealous of your partner and it would probably help if you gave her some private time on the bed with you.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In my defense, concerning the punishment, had I not caught her in the act I would not have reacted that way, but I cannot let her misbehave right in front of me and not react. Chloe is smart (a little too smart actually). She sat and peed on the bed and the next second she was told off. I'm sure that the connection is crystal clear in her mind.
Yes, but "the connection" may not be the one you want. She may now just fear you and if it's a medical problem, she'll just do it out of your sight. If it's behavioral and she's feeling insecure, you've just made her more so. Please don't assign human emotions to your furry friend. She doesn't work that way.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read some where that if a cat is upset and frightened ( Having a dog around ) that they will go to the toilet in unusual places (on your bed ) because they are trying to tell you that they aren`t happy and they do it on your bed becuase its the place that smells most of you. And by mixing their and your scent they are trying to make the bond stronger.
Cats dont deliberatly do things to annoy people. She is trying to tell you she isn`t happy.