Would you be mad if strangers pet your cat?

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a very sweet gray cat who always approaches me to be pet when I'm walking into town. Sometimes I wonder if the person living there will be mad that I'm hanging out in front of their house petting the cat or if they think I'm weird. I usually leave after a minute or so. The cat is friendly and seems to enjoy being petted and getting extra attention.

If you saw someone outside your house petting your cat, would you tell them to move along?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would be upset because I am very, very paranoid when my parents let my cats outside. I would think they are trying to steal my cat and tell them to leave my cat alone. the reason I am saying this is because one time my parents let my cats outside and Tiger went across the street and I found Tiger and then some guy told me to give him his cat back or he'll call the cops.
I told him to leave me alone and that I have proof that Tiger is mine and he never called the cops anyways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take their cat away. What a horrible idea.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, first of all, ~my~ cat wouldn't be outside. But, if my situation were different and I could allow my cat outside, I wouldn't do so without supervising her activities. And for the sake of arguement, if I couldn't supervise her activities, then I would not let her go out until I could. No one, not even my own vet, touches my cats without me standing right there and knowing about it - and I would be especially leary of strangers whose motives I would question.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bemyonlyone

I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take their cat away. What a horrible idea.
well, it's just me. I mean if it's someone I know then I don't care if they pet my cats.
I really don't like when my parents let my cats out but I do not let them out at all and go looking for them right after they let them out. they can stare at the door until the cows come home and I will still not let them out.
but if someone asks if they can pet them, that's fine.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I let my cats out, I don't think I would, as long as they were only petting them. I don't like other people feeding my cats however, and had a problem with a neighbour feeding them treats through the letter box (she wouldn't hurt them but I like to control their diet) and it would depend if I had seen them before in the neighbourhood

However, mine aren't allowed out so its not something I have to worry about

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Well, first of all, ~my~ cat wouldn't be outside. But, if my situation were different and I could allow my cat outside, I wouldn't do so without supervising her activities. And for the sake of arguement, if I couldn't supervise her activities, then I would not let her go out until I could. No one, not even my own vet, touches my cats without me standing right there and knowing about it - and I would be especially leary of strangers whose motives I would question.
I would be paranoid..but Trout isn't an outdoor cat nor would she ever be.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I was thinking many people do not let their cats outside.

I am concerned that this cat's person is away at work. There is no car in the driveway, and I keep waiting for them to come out and say something to me. But nobody ever comes out.

I do worry for this sweet kitty, that some bad person could come along with bad intentions. I do think this cat is far too trusting, because I was walking along and I heard a meow and suddenly the cat was underfoot. What if I'd been someone to wanted to hurt cats? It is a scary thing to think about, but it's not my business and there isn't much I can do. Maybe I'm not helping the situation by petting the cat. I saw another girl petting the cat too. I worry about this cat.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

If I let my cats out, I don't think I would, as long as they were only petting them. I don't like other people feeding my cats however, and had a problem with a neighbour feeding them treats through the letter box (she wouldn't hurt them but I like to control their diet) and it would depend if I had seen them before in the neighbourhood

However, mine aren't allowed out so its not something I have to worry about
Yeah, I would not feed cats treats. There are problems sometimes. Some people pay no attention and wonder why their cats are gaining weight, never thinking it's because they're being fed twice at home each day and twice by the neighbors.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
If my cats were outside cats, I certainly wouldn't mind.

The family I lived with a few years ago had some indoor/outdoor cats, and one of them was always going outside in front of the house and being super-affectionate with people at the bus stop. MUCH more affectionate than she was with people she knew!

After she died, we had many people asking where our grey cat had gone.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Letting cats outside is something I would never do. It's just not safe.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always petted outside cats in front of people's homes that I know, but not ones that I don't know..My cat's don't go out, but if they did, I too would be afraid that the stranger is there wanting to take my kitty for ???. That's just my feelings. Maybe if you know who the cat belongs to, you could ask if it is alright for you to be petting it...

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am also concerned because I found the kitty outside at night. I said "What are you doing outside so late?" Even some people who let their cats out are sure to have them inside before dark.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a cat, but I do have a dog, and no I would not mind if someone wanted to pet my animals. It would make me feel good, I think if you don't want your animals petted then you need to keep up with what they are doing.

I saw a dog at Dega one time and it was a beautiful dog, the lady was walking it with a gazillion people around. When I tried to pet it the lady was mean and she told me that the dog didn't like strangers. I felt that if the dog didn't like strangers, then she shoulda never had him around that many people.

So no I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to pet mine, I would think that they were animal people, just like me.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

I have always petted outside cats in front of people's homes that I know, but not ones that I don't know..My cat's don't go out, but if they did, I too would be afraid that the stranger is there wanting to take my kitty for ???. That's just my feelings. Maybe if you know who the cat belongs to, you could ask if it is alright for you to be petting it...
I am not sure exactly whose cat it is, that's the problem. Then again, logic: if I don't feel comfortable knocking on their door, why do I feel comfortable petting the cat? I guess I just communicate better with other animals than with people.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's not safe, I have discussed it with my parents numerous times about the dangers of letting our cats go outside.. they still don't get it.
but I do not let them out, whatsoever. It's my parents house and they can do whatever they want and unfortunately that includes letting my cats go outside.
my mom does agree with me, but however my dad won't listen at all.
I hate that they let them out, but like I said I go after my cats and bring them back inside where they belong. I just don't like the idea of them out there since we live by a busy street.
even if we didn't live by a busy street, I would still not be okay with it. I hope I made sense here and when I move out the cats will be going with me and they will be inside cats only whether the cats like it or not.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do want to talk to the person, I just don't know who they are. It might help me gain some insight as to why the cat is so overly friendly.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I know it's not safe, I have discussed it with my parents numerous times about the dangers of letting our cats go outside.. they still don't get it.
but I do not let them out, whatsoever. It's my parents house and they can do whatever they want and unfortunately that includes letting my cats go outside.
my mom does agree with me, but however my dad won't listen at all.
I hate that they let them out, but like I said I go after my cats and bring them back inside where they belong. I just don't like the idea of them out there since we live by a busy street.
even if we didn't live by a busy street, I would still not be okay with it. I hope I made sense here and when I move out the cats will be going with me and they will be inside cats only whether the cats like it or not.
I know that, I'm not criticizing you at all. I know you can't help that your parents let the cats out. I'm sorry you're having a difficult time.

The trouble is that few laws exist to punish people who kidnap cats and try to say the cat is theirs, as is what happened with you. I'm sorry you had to experience that. I can't imagine why someone would do something so horrible.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're not criticizing me.
I was just making it clear that I hate when people let cats outdoors and especially when my parents let mine out. It's really unsafe especially if you live by a busy street or have cat aggressive dogs that are strays in your neighborhood or wild animals.