Introducing Nala to Evan. (The Process)

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, My cousin is moving to Las Vegas and she has a Cat named Nala. She is a miniature cat (Not sure of the real name). Anyway, she asked me to keep her since Nala hates the car and she is driving to Vegas. I've read this link already and a couple of other sites.

Looks like I have a bit of work for the next few weeks. I'm totally prepared for it though and I cannot wait to get her tomorrow.

I figure I will post updates here because I've come here before and got help with Cat problems.

That is the only picture I have right now from my cousins Myspace. But tomorrow I will have plenty more to share I'm sure.

Anyway, if you have any tips for me I'm all ears.

- Chris

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I've been reading and wondering if she is a teacup cat. If so is there a ton of health concerns. I've been searching around here and it doesn't seem to good what I've been reading.

Anyway, is she going to be alright ? I know she isn't spayed but she will be shortly.

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well that picture was taken christmas time. I'm pretty sure she is about 1 year. I'm really excited to get her in a few hours.

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she probably is a munchkin cat. I'm really excited about getting her tonight. You have no idea!

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright, she is here! Getting her here was quite easy. Evan has no idea she is in here yet though and might not find out for a while.

She was a bit scared and very vocal on the way here.

Right now she is hiding under my pillow and isn't making a sound. I'm guessing she needs her space and time to get used to her new home.

I'm so excited! I took a couple pictures of her to show her off.

- Chris

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a ton! She is really quiet still and hiding under the pillows. Hopefully soon she opens up. I'm being patient though.

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright, first night is over. She already sleeps with me. She doesn't stop moving but it is soo cute! Hopefully she explores a bit while I'm at work.

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks! Shes hiding right now. Evan actually came in my room today but didn't actually see her. I'm sure he knows she is here. He smells her litter box probably.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing to do is to actually keep them separated until they get used to each other's smells and Evan gets used to the idea that there is a new cat in his territory.

Evan will need extra love and reassurance right now. His whole world is about to be turned upside down. Imagine you're a kid, and something happens to your aunt and uncle, and your cousin shows up and is now going to share all your toys, your parents' affection, and your room. This is what Evan is going to experience.

They should be introduced slowly. Many people don't do this and it works out ok - but why risk it?

Let them get used to the idea of each other first.
If, after 2 - 3 days they're not hissing and growling under the door at each other, then do supervised interactions and see how it goes.

In the meantime, take a wash cloth or clean rag and rub it all over Nala. Put treats out on it for Evan. Rub Evan all over with a wash cloth or clean rag, and put treats out on it for Nala. Do this at the same time each morning and evening. This will help them associate good things with each other.

I also wrote a long thread with lots of ideas to help smooth introductions here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118934

That's really sweet of you to take in Nala. She is SUCH a doll! I hope all goes well - and feel free to ask questions and provide updates!

Laurie

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

The best thing to do is to actually keep them separated until they get used to each other's smells and Evan gets used to the idea that there is a new cat in his territory.

Evan will need extra love and reassurance right now. His whole world is about to be turned upside down. Imagine you're a kid, and something happens to your aunt and uncle, and your cousin shows up and is now going to share all your toys, your parents' affection, and your room. This is what Evan is going to experience.

They should be introduced slowly. Many people don't do this and it works out ok - but why risk it?

Let them get used to the idea of each other first.
If, after 2 - 3 days they're not hissing and growling under the door at each other, then do supervised interactions and see how it goes.

In the meantime, take a wash cloth or clean rag and rub it all over Nala. Put treats out on it for Evan. Rub Evan all over with a wash cloth or clean rag, and put treats out on it for Nala. Do this at the same time each morning and evening. This will help them associate good things with each other.

I also wrote a long thread with lots of ideas to help smooth introductions here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118934

That's really sweet of you to take in Nala. She is SUCH a doll! I hope all goes well - and feel free to ask questions and provide updates!

Laurie
Thanks a ton Laurie! I will be doing that for sure. Nala is actually still hiding from me right now behind my tv in the closet. I'm guessing this is normal though because she has never been away from her original home right ?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that's correct. For Nala, she's in a totally new territory. Her mom has gone missing, and she doesn't know where she is - it is a strange place full of scary new smells.

Cats are very territorial, and though some cats adjust to new places well, especially if they're with their mom or dad, for the most part, when in a new territory, they're scared and don't know it's safe. If you have a radio, put it in "her" room, and tune it to a classical station and leave it on for her during the day. Or if you have a CD player and can find harp music, and can leave it on "repeat" while you're at work, that is very calming to cats.

The best thing to do is let her adjust to her new space in her own time. Being patient is really the main ingredient.

Being near her but not trying to interact with her is good. It lets her get used to you without feeling under any pressure. If you sing, sing! Otherwise, reading out loud is really good too.

She'll come around MUCH faster than a feral would. This was written for someone who is trying to socialize a feral, but it has some good suggestions that you may find useful: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118850

But because she's used to being around people, she just has to get used to her new meowmy and her new place, remember that food and play can be great motivators.
Give her treats - at first, maybe just put them out for her and let her get to them in her own time.

If she expresses curiousity about you, at first ignore it, and just let her check you out. What you're trying to accomplish is gaining her trust, and the most important thing that builds that trust is her understanding she's safe, you're safe, and you don't want to do anything to her or want anything from her.

Of course, I'm used to giving help to people socializing ferals, and for kitties that are used to being with people, she may want attention. But you'll know it by when she bumps you.
She may be scared and just want to check you out. Or, if "her" introduction room is your bedroom, you may very well wake up to find her on the bed with you.

But if she's scared for a few days, make sure you give Evan lots of extra attention - but spend time in the room with her. Reading out loud is a great thing to help her get used to your smell, sound, &etc. If she approaches you cautiously, ignore her. It's hard - but set one of your hands out (without looking at her) palm down. This is non-threatening to kitties. She may come up and sniff you. If you continue to ignore her, eventually this will drive her nuts, and she'll want you to engage with her. This is the quickest way to make her want to interact with you.

But if she's getting comfortable in the space, playing with a wand toy is a great thing to help her feel safe, have fun &etc. Also, when she seems not so scared, you can feed her wet food off the end of a spoon.
This helps her get comfortable being close to you.

Again - because she's used to being around people, some of this might be moot. But if she stays scared for some time, these things will really help her become comfortable more quickly than she would otherwise.

And as she's hiding in your closet right now, you may want to consider putting out some boxes around the room she's in. Having lots of hidey places will help her feel more comfortable coming out.

Take an old t-shirt or sweatshirt and get it good and sweaty. Just like the towel trick with rubbing Evan all over and putting treats out for her on it, put that sweaty t-shirt under her food dishes.
Get another one good and sweaty, and put treats out for her on it. This will also help her associate you with good things.

Also, the more regular you can be about when you spend time in the room with her and for how long, that will help too. Routine REALLY promotes that feeling of safety - because she knows she can come out to explore without worrying about whether the strange human is going to come in. It'll help her make all the new space her territory.

And I went back through the thread - she is just soooo cute. I never heard of a teacup kitty before, and I really hope she won't experience health problems because of it.
But she is so sweet looking!

Laurie

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem that im having now is that she will not come around me unless I am sleeping and it is dark. Last night she used the litter box and ate some food but when I woke up she was hiding from me. Just now, I actually thought she was hiding behind the tv and I found her in a drawer.

Oh also, in your post you were talking about nala being around people. She actually never really has been. Our house is actually quite full and we have a 2 year old here as well. I think that may be why she is hiding so much during the day and losening up at night.

I hope this is normal.

Chris

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xris

The problem that im having now is that she will not come around me unless I am sleeping and it is dark. Last night she used the litter box and ate some food but when I woke up she was hiding from me. Just now, I actually thought she was hiding behind the tv and I found her in a drawer.

Oh also, in your post you were talking about nala being around people. She actually never really has been. Our house is actually quite full and we have a 2 year old here as well. I think that may be why she is hiding so much during the day and losening up at night.

I hope this is normal.

Chris
xris, the new kitty we just adopted seems to do most things (ie, eat and use the litter box) at night, too. During the day she is friendly to us, but prefers to stay in her safe 'hiding spot'. I suspect it may be a common behavior when they are going through the adjustment phase?

Continued good wishes to you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal. She's scared. Like I said in the earlier post, if she's scared to come around you, spend time in the room where she is - reading out loud or singing is great. But ignore her until she gets curious enough. Don't try to chase her out of her hiding space.

And like I suggested before, maybe put some boxes (on their side) around the room so she's got lots of hidey places.

She's going through a big adjustment. She'll come around - but it may take some time.

Laurie