Bayley

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted him Saturday from the shelter. When we picked him up, the lady clipped his claws for us, which was fine, I was by her while she was doing it- and when she got to his right frt paw, his one claw fell off! It wasn't bleeding or anything, it just seemed to have rotted right off. They wondered if something might have happened previously. Well, she put some antibiodic on it, and he seemed okay. He has been using the litterbox and everything just fine.

Well, this morning I picked him up and was holding him like a baby, and I noticed that the claw next to the one that had fallen off, looked like it was bleeding as well, and didn't look good.
He's still using the LB okay- but my question- do I call the HS back adn tell them that its happening to his other claw as well? Do you think I'd be able to take him in and let their vet look at him, or do you think I'd be better off taking him to my own vet?

I also noticed that he's been itching at his neck- and he has 2 small bumps where his collar was that he had on at the vet. The lady said that he is allergic to plastic, and the collar they had on him before left a rash, so I'm wondering if thast part of it?

I'm just worried about my new little guy, and wonder what the best approach to this would be?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gosh, i'm so sorry, but try to not get too worried! Keep calling and calling to try to get some help. Maybe he got into something that damaged his claws and they have to grow out and start over again.

VIBES!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

gosh, i'm so sorry, but try to not get too worried! Keep calling and calling to try to get some help. Maybe he got into something that damaged his claws and they have to grow out and start over again.

VIBES!!!!!
I'm definately going to call the HS right away in the morning, I hope the lady that I saw Saturday is there... she was worried about it just like I was. I totally don't know her name either, but I think I'll figure it out...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and just see what he says. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

I am sending you and him hugs and prayers from Mississippi.

I love his new name too.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Poor little Bayley!

Maybe it would be better to take him to your own vet, but call and talk to the shelter and tell them what is happening.

Is it really bleeding? It almost sounds like when people slam their fingers in something so bad that their nail falls off later, like maybe something fell on his foot or someone accidentally stepped on him?

Feel better soon Bayley!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really think that it's just kind of like a fluke you know? you'll get him some meds and everything will clear up - maybe he was out in the cold or something. it sounds like he's healthy - just some claw issues.......maybe he stubbed his toe??????

smile!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Oh no! Poor little Bayley!

Maybe it would be better to take him to your own vet, but call and talk to the shelter and tell them what is happening.

Is it really bleeding? It almost sounds like when people slam their fingers in something so bad that their nail falls off later, like maybe something fell on his foot or someone accidentally stepped on him?

Feel better soon Bayley!
Thats what we were thinking too- about someone maybe stepping on him, or something.
Its not bleeding outward, but its definately red in there, like its clotted itself so its not bleeding all over, you knwo what I mean? I just feel so bad for him. The lady at the HS was super nice to us, (I found her name on our papers from there) so I might call and ask her about it for sure.... otherwise take him to my vet, but he's so expensive, I was hoping to be able to take him to the vet at the HS, since we JUST picked him up

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

i really think that it's just kind of like a fluke you know? you'll get him some meds and everything will clear up - maybe he was out in the cold or something. it sounds like he's healthy - just some claw issues.......maybe he stubbed his toe??????

smile!

Well, he hasn't been out in the cold since November- he's been in the shelter since then...

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, maybe he was over-zealous at the spa in preparation for your arrival

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thats what we were thinking too- about someone maybe stepping on him, or something.
Its not bleeding outward, but its definately red in there, like its clotted itself so its not bleeding all over, you knwo what I mean? I just feel so bad for him. The lady at the HS was super nice to us, (I found her name on our papers from there) so I might call and ask her about it for sure.... otherwise take him to my vet, but he's so expensive, I was hoping to be able to take him to the vet at the HS, since we JUST picked him up
The only reason I suggested your own vet was I am too cynical and thought that maybe they knew of something they wouldn't want to say happened. I'm sure I'm wrong!

Zissou is sending Bayley little eskimo kisses!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

It wouldn't hurt to try the vet at the HS, and if you don't like what they say, then you can take him to your vet.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

The only reason I suggested your own vet was I am too cynical and thought that maybe they knew of something they wouldn't want to say happened. I'm sure I'm wrong!

Zissou is sending Bayley little eskimo kisses!
Thanks so much
I'm definately going to call the HS and see what they say, if I can get it looked at for free, I'm definately going to! Otherwise, its a trip to my vet!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this Kenz! Yes, I would try the HS first - as Belinda said you can always take him to your own vet if you're not satisfied. It might not hurt to do that anyway. I took Löki right away after I adopted him from the Humane Society, just to make sure everything was OK.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our vet would not see your cat as he is now your property and it would be a liability. We would offer to take the cat back.

Unfortunatley, it's a huge liability issue for us.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fats McGee

Our vet would not see your cat as he is now your property and it would be a liability. We would offer to take the cat back.

Unfortunatley, it's a huge liability issue for us.
That is strange as most places be it a private rescue or HS allow a 2-5 day window to see there vet or yours ...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet face Bayley has! Gosh, I don't know. That's a tough call. But I think I'd see what my own vet thinks.

Luckily, not all HS or shelters feel the way Fats McGee describes. Here if an issue pops up with a newly adopted animal, they will have their vet look at it. Or give you a free vet visit somewhere else.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter here reccomends a vet check by your own vet(albeit we don't have an on-staff vet) within a week or two after adoption. Just in case the cat has something that was missed. I know it'll be $$$, but it might be a good idea to take Bayley to your vet for a complete once over...physical exam. Then should he have something, you will catch it early.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bayley is a beautiful boy. I'm sorry to hear he's having trouble with his little claws. Even though it's more expensive I think I'd take him to my own vet. It's a good excuse for a get acquainted visit and to just be sure everything is OK.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup, i think i'd want my vet to see him just to put my mind at ease.