Hello from Iowa!

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself and my kitties. I'm Debbie and I live in Iowa with my 3 kitties, Chloe, Katy and Bailey.

Chloe is a 17-year-old tortie who is the gentlest little thing I've ever seen, Katy is a 14-year-old all-black polydactyl with a white spot on her chest and Bailey, an all-white cat, is the baby of the group at 9 years old. He's also the biggest by quite a ways . . . as of this morning he weighs 27 pounds 15 1/2 ounces. I know that sounds huge, but he's just a big boy!

We've had a trying couple of years with health problems in all 3 of them, but as all the vets tell me . . . "they're getting older" . . . something I absolutely hate to hear.

Bailey just had exploratory surgery on February 15 to try to determine if he had lymphoma or IBD. Thankfully, as it turned out, the vets feel that it's IBD. His weight started out at 30 pounds 14 ounces and he quickly went down to 29 pounds, but since the surgery he's been on a novel protein diet and I've been keeping very close track of how much he's eating. Now I think I'm controlling his weight loss. I'm not sure yet what his goal weight is, but like I said he's a big boy so I'm sure it'll be somewhere around 22 or 23 pounds.

Anyway . . . enough of health problems. I'm sure I'll be talking about them more at some point.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. I am glad that Bailey is doing better and that the vet was able to figure it out..Your kitties sound wonderful. Again, welcome.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Chloe, Bailey, Katy, and Debbie,

to TheCatSite and bless you for being such a loving, caring, and supportive Meowmy to your sweet threesome! We know all about IBD AND very large boys -- our sweet angel Rojita had the former, and our "Lion Kinglet", Nicolas T. Cat, who's going on 17 years young, weighed in at 20 pounds in his youth, though he's slimmed down a bit with the years. A dear friend's big ebony prince weighs in at around 33 pounds, and while he probably should go on a little cutdown, he IS a big man, as well! He dwarfs her other felines by miles.

All of The Nine are indoor-only, rescued, and spayed/neutered, and they are my sunshine and my reasons for living, literally! I've lived with, loved, rescued, and advoCATed for cats all my life, and I know how poignant it can be to deal with senior cat issues, as well as health issues...but we wouldn't have it any other way, would we?

So glad you found the forums, and look forward to seeing you here -- maybe you'll post a photo of your family? We love pictures here!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi welcome to TCS, this is such a great site and everyone here is so nice
also this site can be very helpful and fun too
I cant wait to see pics of ur babies, we just
pics here ! Well see u on the forums

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm really looking forward to being around so many other "cat people"!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Debbie!
It's so nice to 'see' a familiar face! I was a bit worried about how I was going to keep track of you and the gang. Now I know that I will be able to! I hope that Bailey is doing well. Please give that big sweet boy a hug from me and the girls...oh, and please hug Chloe & Katy too!!!

So glad to have you here!

Pookie & the girls

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Debbie
we're so happy to welcome you and your lovely kitties to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

I'm sure you will find plenty of help and advice in the Health and Nutrition forum to help with the health issues your kitties have been facing. I hope that you are able to manage Bailey's weight loss without too much of a problem

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Hi Debbie!
It's so nice to 'see' a familiar face! I was a bit worried about how I was going to keep track of you and the gang. Now I know that I will be able to! I hope that Bailey is doing well. Please give that big sweet boy a hug from me and the girls...oh, and please hug Chloe & Katy too!!!

So glad to have you here!

Pookie & the girls
Hi Pookie!
Yes, it is nice to see a familiar face! I'm sure you'll hear more than you want about how my guys are doing! Hope the girls are all doing well too. I could have used you last night when I tried, tried to give Katy her fluids. Just couldn't get it done. This afternoon though was perfect! I think I just have a block when it comes to sticking that needle in her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Debbie & Welcome to TCS! I see your Bailey is my type of cat-white!

Me & my entire clan of furballs welcome you to TCS!
I'm sorta, technically, close-ish to you....I'm in extreme southern MN...10 miles from the IA border!

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Hello Debbie & Welcome to TCS! I see your Bailey is my type of cat-white!

Me & my entire clan of furballs welcome you to TCS!
I'm sorta, technically, close-ish to you....I'm in extreme southern MN...10 miles from the IA border!
I saw your username and knew you'd like my Bailey! I love your all-white kitties too. I used to have another white kitty, Shasta, but I had to let her go about 3 years ago. She lived a long life though . . . she was 19.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Hi, Deb! Welcome to TCS!

I too live in Iowa...Waterloo, actually. Beautiful weather today, wasn't it?
Hi Wookie! Yes, it was just gorgeous today, a huge improvement over last weekend. I'm in Des Moines, not that terribly far from Waterloo.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
That is a big boy you have there!
I'm glad the health issues are thusfar treatable. It sounds like you have a great bunch of kitties there!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Deb:

Forgive me for butting in, but I had the same feelings you have a couple of years back, when giving sub-Q fluids to my beloved Moti angel. And you know as I know, that even though we'd rather stick those needles in ourselves than in our babies, for Katy's wellbeing, you MUST. So good on ya for accomplishing that today.