Disguising a Litter Box. Need ideas.

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have four cats and four tupperware tubs for kitty litters

They are in my computer room because my spare bedroom is basically used for guests although we don't have many guests stay over

This is my spare bedroom. Notice the kitty in the top left hand corner.

Do you guys have any ideas what I can do to make this a little more attractive?? I guess I could put them in the spare bedroom but if we have guests stay over unexpectedly it would be quite awful to make them sleep in the same room as litter boxes.
I used to keep them in the basement but Darrell's (My husband) parents moved in and so they have the basement to themselves. They have a cat too that doesn't get along well with others so it's not as if we can put the boxes down there. I seem to only be left with this computer room as a place to keep them.

- SO! any ideas on how I can make them more attractive?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use those too, except I use the clear ones. I guess they blend in with my white walls better, I barley notice them!

If your artsy- maybe you could clean them out and paint some fun kitty stuff on the outside? Or get some fun fabric that matches your room and use a hot glue gun to attach the material to them?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cleaned out my closet (completely empty), put down a plastic drape sheet to cover the hardwood floor and put the litter boxes in there. I can keep the door open all the way when it's just me and close it to a kitty sized opening when I want it to not show. Another way to disguise the litterboxes is to put a folding screen in front of them...like a fireplace screen. Something like that would be easy to fashion out of cardboard and easy to decorate with fabric, wall paper, contact paper, etc.

Pookie & the girls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about covering them up? I like those lids that regular kitty litter boxes have but won't fit these. Perhaps a 'roof'? Maybe a giant wooden box covering all four

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tamme

What about covering them up? I like those lids that regular kitty litter boxes have but won't fit these. Perhaps a 'roof'? Maybe a giant wooden box covering all four
I think one of our members has done the box thing- but I don't remember? That would be good, to have a big box around them all painted the same color as your room or something fun like that, with a lid- that has holes directly above the boxes?

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ya something like that or something with one hole on the side and the whole box could be lifted and removed then replaced.

Or something stationary - I like that idea too. Maybe something with a removable front...the top would be a whole piece with no holes in it. Then I could store more junk - yay

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of building something around it...but something that will be useful to you as well since its in your computer room. I'd build (if you're handy at doing that or know someone who is)...a desk/table around the boxes. Maybe something sorta like a bookcase...with a couple of shelves over the litter boxes and sides that come down on either side of the kitty boxes...the one side of the desk would be close to your room door (& would sorta hide the boxes from full view) and the other side over there by where the vacuum cleaner is. From the bottom shelf (which would be above the litter boxes with enough room for the cats to still get in and out easily) I would maybe drape some nice fabric if you want to enclose it all...but I don't think that would be necessary, its up to you. You could use the shelves/bookcases to organize your computer stuff....all those movies that are stacked by the vacuum cleaner as well.

As for your spare bedroom....I see a whole lot of empty wallspace above the bed! Make good use of that as well. (Doesn't have anything to do with your present litter box problem.) I'd install shelving up there and organize all the stuff you have on the bed now up there instead, leaving the bed looking a little more inviting.

Good luck!

Hilda>^..^<

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw someone with a cool plant converted into a litter box. They Pot of the plant had a hole in the back and the litter box was inside.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 4 cats too (unfortunately for them and the litter cleaner we only have 2 boxes).

anyhoo, we went out and bought a couple of tables. They're both high enough where the cats can climb into the litter box without bumping their heads.

We threw a table cloth over each of them and viola! Easy disguise!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's just a rough idea of what I was talking about.

Maybe you can find a used table or desk like this at a yard sale...sure beats having to build it!

Hilda>^..^<

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brainstorming using Hilda's idea here
- maybe you could just make this part-

And measure a few premade cubicle or regular shelving units (like they sell at Walmart, Kmart, Target...) and build this part to fit the shelving units that you want to use? (make sure you build it sturdy enough to hold them up- maybe even a post or 2 in the center). You could put a curtain across the front of all of it or just the litterboxes- one you can slide open and leave it when you don't have company, so your cats can get used to having something over their heads when they use the box, and not feel closed in
). You can use a spring loaded curtain rod (really inexpensive), and make a simple set of curtains out of any fabric you like (If you don't know how to sew, I can help
.) This is fun!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A-haaaa! I like your idea as well...much simpler! The reason I added the shelving was for organizational purposes...since it is her computer room. But you can always buy those pre-made ones later on (at Wal*Mart) and just set them on top of the whole unit.....or you might find some at a yard sale too.

Yep, the tension rod to hold up a simple curtain would be great. The only problem I might have with that is that those are 4 littler boxes and so it would have to be a pretty long curtain rod...I don't know if I've ever seen a spring loaded on that is that long. If you can't find one that long, then just install a couple of those little cup hooks (also available at Wal*Mart) and you can run some twine or sturdy wire of some sort to thread the curtain through. Or heck, if that's too difficult you can just thumbtack the curtains right onto the shelf/table itself....or if you're reeeeal creative you can use Velcro to attach them to the unit.

Making/sewing the curtains shouldn't be too much trouble either...very simple to do. If you don't have a sewing machine...there are other alternatives...you can use that sewing/hemming tape they sell to put it all together with instead of sewing.

You're so right...this IS fun!

Hilda>^..^<

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I have 3 of these and I love them. Doubles as seating, cat perch and the occasional scratch post.
I think thats so awesome, I knew one our members had this!

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Guys!! You're ideas are all so helpful.. The diagrams really make it real.

I think because the cats mostly use just one or two of the litter boxes - that I'll downgrade to three boxes instead of four and then I'll have more available to me to fit over them. {Lazy bums use the one closest to the door. Can't walk the extra three feet to the last box
}

Yes I do have a sewing machine - a pretty good one too - I don't understand all of the options but I can use it.

This is exciting - I might actually be able to have guests over and not feel embarrassed by all of these huge litter boxes.

Thanks again guys... any other ideas? What about additives that make it not so strong of a smell?? I use Arm & Hammer Litter Deodorizer - but very sparingly because it smells like a laundromat or a thousand Ivory Soap bars.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I once saw end tables with a cut-out bottom shelf for small dogs/cats to have a pet bed in--you could substitute a litter box. I think it was in the Sears Home Center (?) catalogue, which is also online.

Hope this helps! I feel your pain--I've often wanted to disguise the litter box areas in places where I lived. I'm lucky, as now I have an attached garage, and we installed a cat door in the laundry room door, which opens to the garage...and, voila! The kitty outhouse! (We have 9, you read it right, 9 litter boxes out there!). It's so much nicer (we don't garage our cars, so we use the garage as a storage room. I felt bad for the cats in the cold weather, so I'm insulating and fininishing the walls, etc. for them.)

MargeCat

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momofmany...that is the best idea! I love it!

Tamme...be sure to let us know how it all turns out, ok? OK!

Hilda>^..^<

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After looking at these containment systems here

I was thinking you could buy a cheap wooden TV cabinet or microwave stand and make something similar to the one I linked to.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would build a long narrow table on 4 legs that would fit directly over them and then make a skirt for the table.

As far as odor, I found the only solution is to use a clumping litter and scoop often. I scoop immediately after the deposit and that eliminates any odor. Of course that is exactly three poops and 4 pees a day, total of 7 scoops daily. Fortunately they do their business while I am waiting with the scooper.