Scabies??

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a little freaked out!! I just got back from a 5 day trip to Gatlinburg with some friends for Spring Break, and several of us have noticed non-itchy red bumps scattered over out bodies (none on faces, very few on neck, most of them on trunks and legs). I've been searching and searching on line, and can't figure it out. We rode horses on Wednesday morning. The first girl noticed the bumps Wednesday evening (like pimples sorta, but more inflamed looking with a little white spot in the middle). Another girl noticed hers the next morning. I didn't notice any until Friday night, then more Saturday morning, then even more today. I've been looking up Scabies, cause thats what one girl was thinking. But it says that you are usually infested for like 4-6 weeks before getting symptoms. Plus none of our bumps are itchy! Any ideas?

And I am gonna go to the school clinic tomorrow, but they aren't open on weekends.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
One of our members children recently had scabies I believe. Try doing a search in the Lougne for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you I found the thread! Her son was itchy....so again I'm not sure what it is we have! Its just an awful thought thinking you might have a bug on you and having no idea what it is or what to do about it!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through my son having scabies a few years ago right before surgery. His never itched. And the treatment for it was rather simple.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scabies is highly contagious and very difficult to get rid of. Go see a doctor pronto before you transmit it to anyone else.

Plus there is a protocol you have to do with regards to laundry. So don't wait. Go to a walk in clinic and find out what you have.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunatly I`ve had personal experience of scabies

It is VERY itchy, mostly at night.It is easily treated but as you have no itching I relly doubt thats what it is.
Hope you find out and get sorted.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you were horseback riding, these are probably chigger bites, not scabies. To get scabies, you would have had to have body-to-body contact or have worn the clothes of an infested person.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

Did you stay at a motel? maybe bed bug bites?
I was thinking something like that too, but I didn't know if bed bugs itched or not.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We stayed at a cabin/chalet thing. We thought about bed bugs, but doubt that is it, only b/c my boyfriend slept in the same bed and had no trouble. The other girls who came up with bumps also slept in the bed with people who have had no trouble.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you think you have scabies, try wiping the affected areas with alcohol, let it dry, and see if you find any white zig zag or swirly trail marks on your skin. The mites that cause scabies burrow under your skin and will leave trails.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Scabies is highly contagious and very difficult to get rid of. Go see a doctor pronto before you transmit it to anyone else.

Plus there is a protocol you have to do with regards to laundry. So don't wait. Go to a walk in clinic and find out what you have.
My son was the one with Scabies and they are VERY itchy but actully very easy to get rid of. They give you a permethrin cream to apply from head to toe. It takes 8-14 hours and they're gone!

But what you're talking about doesn't sound like scabies

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guess is that if the rash is not driving you insane itching...
it's not scabies.

Could it be poison ivy or oak?

Bed bug is a good guess too.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the school infirmary today and had the doc take a look. He said since they are not itchy at all, he doesn't think its any type of bug bites (not scabies, not bed bugs, etc). He said he honestly doesn't know....only thing he said he could come up with is folliculitis. He gave me some antibiotics to take, and I'm supposed to go back in Thursday or Friday and let him look at them again.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that the antibiotics help.

Keep us updated.