Kitty treats

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Fred has to go on a diet. I've started mixing Hills R/D (low cal) with their regular t/d, on the vet's instructions

It's working out okay, but I'm worried that Nermal who is the perfect weight will get skinny.

So I'm thinking of feeding Nermal secret kitty treats behind Fred's back.

Anyone know of a nutrious healthy cat treat that Nerm could try. I don't want to give him junk food treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

How about the Ziwi Peak treats?http://www.ziwipeak.com/Products/Ziw...Treats-Family/ They're "jerky" for cats, and usually go over quite well.
I jecked Ziwi out. Unfortunately they aren't available in Eastern Canada, only Vancouver. They sound good though. On my next trip out west, I'll check them out.

I may do a trip to Petsmart later in the week, or just go by a pet shop that I can rely on.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wildside salmon makes for a supplementary meal on occation here

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sadie's favorite treats are most unconventional.... she adores fresh green beans. You may want to give that a try.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a crazy suggestion, but it's a bit off topic...

Were you feeding T/D full time before? As T/D is very high fat, and a lot of cats do have a problem with weight gain while feeding it. Is there any reason why your kitties need more T/D than just a few kibbles a day? What I reccomend, and I know many have done who've had kitties gain weight on this food, is switch them to a better quality diet, (and monitor how much their eating, to help weight) and feed T/D as treats only, for the dental benefits. Because of the nature of this kibble, it isn't a great *food* but it does make a pretty good *treat*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

I have a crazy suggestion, but it's a bit off topic...

Were you feeding T/D full time before? As T/D is very high fat, and a lot of cats do have a problem with weight gain while feeding it. Is there any reason why your kitties need more T/D than just a few kibbles a day? What I reccomend, and I know many have done who've had kitties gain weight on this food, is switch them to a better quality diet, (and monitor how much their eating, to help weight) and feed T/D as treats only, for the dental benefits. Because of the nature of this kibble, it isn't a great *food* but it does make a pretty good *treat*
Someone else mentioned this to me about it being high in fat. Funny that my vet recommends it. But Nermal's not fat at all. If anything he's a little skinny. Though he seems to eat the same as Fred.

Anyway, right now I'm mixing it with the weightloss r/d. Perhaps when Fred sheds a few pounds I'll look into mixing it with the regular science diet stuff. Or something else. I know from experience in the past that the science diet really helps urinary infections so I'm hesitant to switch. It is also consistently available, whereas some other brands seem to come and go.