Okay I have questions about foods...

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an 8 month old Bengal.

She is currently eating Felidae Kitten Dry Formula and a half of can of wet Wellness daily. I add water to her wet food before I feed it to her to help get more water into her. She has access to a drinkwell as well.

I haven't heard much at all about Wellness. I haven't heard it's bad nor that it's good. I've heard many good things about the Felidae. I'm considering switching her to Eagle Pack. Is it worth the change? I'm going to do some searching and see if I can find some Felidae canned and see if she will eat it (where I get her dry they don't carry the kitten wet on the senior formula). The Wellness is the only wet food she will eat daily with no questions asked.

Also, our dog get Grizzly Salmon oil --- would this be helpful to her? Eggs? (I have read egg whites are bad for them but scrambled is okay?) Raw as a treat (when I feed it to our dogs). What type of raw food is okay to feed a cat?

Basically I hate commercial food and would prefer she be on raw (she will be getting switched in the next few months) but until then I want to ensure she is getting everything possible to ensure she stays healthy and happy.

Thanks so much!

This is my first cat and I've learned very quickly that cats are NOT anything like a dog!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felidea IMHO is better than Eagle pack ... Wellness removed the garlic so I am now saying they are very good...Yes a bit of salmon oil in her food would be good and u can use the dog one just dose at the small dog :0...

You have good commercial foods but yes for many raw is better .. I will send you a PM with some basics as two of my three eat raw and I am sure a few here will chime in... My dog and cat eat the same raw just the dog gets some veggies and either rice or potato and there supplements are different due to age and issues ....

Scrambled yolk is best ....

Do you have a vet whom you can discuss diet ie raw with???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Felidea IMHO is better than Eagle pack ... Wellness removed the garlic so I am now saying they are very good...Yes a bit of salmon oil in her food would be good and u can use the dog one just dose at the small dog :0...

You have good commercial foods but yes for many raw is better .. I will send you a PM with some basics as two of my three eat raw and I am sure a few here will chime in... My dog and cat eat the same raw just the dog gets some veggies and either rice or potato and there supplements are different due to age and issues ....

Scrambled yolk is best ....

Do you have a vet whom you can discuss diet ie raw with???
How often should she get the Salmon Oil?

About the egg --- should egg whites be avoided at all cost? My vet doesn't really know much about the raw, but she doesn't ever really questions me because she knows I take very good care of all of my animals. The only time she would ever step in is if she thought it was causing a health issue. ZhaZha was eating Innova and she did express concern with that because of the Gastro problems it is known for.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ZhaZha

About the egg --- should egg whites be avoided at all cost? My vet doesn't really know much about the raw, but she doesn't ever really questions me because she knows I take very good care of all of my animals. The only time she would ever step in is if she thought it was causing a health issue. ZhaZha was eating Innova and she did express concern with that because of the Gastro problems it is known for.
I only give the salmon oil a few times a week but many do it daily ....

Egg whites raw need to be AVOIDED and egg whites should be avoided ...

these are links to premade raw companies but they are accurate and dont use scare tactics like most ..... Innova is a good commercial food but it is not for all cats.... I know a holistic vet that said more Utis came from it but the other vet said she did nt see that...lol...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I only give the salmon oil a few times a week but many do it daily ....

Egg whites raw need to be AVOIDED and egg whites should be avoided ...

these are links to premade raw companies but they are accurate and dont use scare tactics like most ..... Innova is a good commercial food but it is not for all cats.... I know a holistic vet that said more Utis came from it but the other vet said she did nt see that...lol...
My vet was concerned with the GI tract problems and she said that she had seen more cats that were on Innova with UTI's than other cats. At the time she was concerned about her urination problems so it was a wise decision to switch her.

Could you provide me with the links and some good websites and such for the raw? I probably won't go 100% raw for awhile, but I can always be re-searching. Is it bad to mix the raw (a small amount) with the kibble?

Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My vet was concerned with the GI tract problems and she said that she had seen more cats that were on Innova with UTI's than other cats. At the time she was concerned about her urination problems so it was a wise decision to switch her.

Could you provide me with the links and some good websites and such for the raw? I probably won't go 100% raw for awhile, but I can always be re-searching. Is it bad to mix the raw (a small amount) with the kibble?

Thanks.
Raw digests at different rate than dry ... I try to make sure two to four hours have passed before any dry is consumed after a raw meal .... sometime s I do mix a bit of canned with raw

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My vet recommended not giving more than a few drops per week, although he said if I needed to use it to encourage them to eat their raw.. that it can cause a bit of a tummy upset, so just to keep an eye for it and if you see this, make sure you immediately reduce it to the few drops a week. If they start vomiting, or get really bad runny poopies.. it's a sign that they're getting too much salmon oil. He did say, though, that it causes no permanent damage, and just simply to desist if we saw the signs.

I'm sure Sharky will send you the raw sites. If she doesn't, PM me and I'll dig up the list for you. There are several really good ones out there..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

My vet recommended not giving more than a few drops per week, although he said if I needed to use it to encourage them to eat their raw.. that it can cause a bit of a tummy upset, so just to keep an eye for it and if you see this, make sure you immediately reduce it to the few drops a week. If they start vomiting, or get really bad runny poopies.. it's a sign that they're getting too much salmon oil. He did say, though, that it causes no permanent damage, and just simply to desist if we saw the signs.

I'm sure Sharky will send you the raw sites. If she doesn't, PM me and I'll dig up the list for you. There are several really good ones out there..
Sharky is running behind could you PM the sites???

Hum I had never heard that on salmon oil but I only give a few times a week

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing with the Innova, I think, and UTI's is that it's got a horribly low moisture content. Mine do fine on it, but.. I have two water fountains and they probably drink more than most cats all around.

Egg yolks are fine, and any salmonella is killed if you cook the egg for over one minute. I find that if I use large or extra large eggs and cook them for just about 4-5 minutes once the water is boiling..(don't put them in until it starts to boil).. the white all hardens, the yolk has been in there for over one minute, and it's quite easy to remove the yolk from the shell without the white.

The only other thing I've ever heard a suggestion to mix with is wet foods to get them to start on it. It shouldn't be mixed with dry, as it can cause bacteria to grow... (the dry has stagnant bacteria from processing which grows in the perfect environment formed by adding moisture).