Buspar?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia has been prescribed Buspar. However, I was in a hurry & not thinking didn't ask about side effects. Does anyone know of any side effects of Buspar or anything else I should know?

This is all I could find:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=2&SourceID=52

"The most commonly observed side effect with this medication is an increase in affectionate behavior in cats. This may not sound problematic but some owners complain of not being able to sleep through the aggressive purring and rubbing. Any drug that modifies behavior has potential to reduce a cat's inhibitions, thus making other behavior changes possible, including aggression."

I found that funny, I shouldn't, but I did. Honestly...I'd take a loss of sleep over what I've got now.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I use to take Buspirone for anxiety! It is actually one of the best medications for anxiety out there, it is non addictive and nero effecting. Basically it increases the plasma protein production of the chemicals that help anxiety, stress, ability to cope with these situations....... It is suppose to have a taming effect on animals.... It is very important to administer the dosage regularly for proper effect since it is non neurological effecting. I believe it has the least side effects of any med for this. Glad to hear that you are trying this! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, so in other words I should be regular about the time I give her the Buspar? I was instructed to give to to her every 12 hours, so like 10 am & 10 pm regularaly & don't be off by much?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

OK, so in other words I should be regular about the time I give her the Buspar? I was instructed to give to to her every 12 hours, so like 10 am & 10 pm regularaly & don't be off by much?
I do believe the dosage is 2-3 times a day regularly increased slowly each week till effective.It does take time to see change, don't get discouraged if there is no change within first couple weeks. I would ask about the dosage amount and slow increase since this is the part of administering the drug for desired effect.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is great! I'm actually supposed to be on Buspar myself, but I can't afford it, so I'm taking a "lesser" antidepressant instead. It sounds like you've gotten Ophelia some serious help indeed, and I'll bet this is going to work for her. Crossing fingers and hoping all will be well soon!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

This is great! I'm actually supposed to be on Buspar myself, but I can't afford it, so I'm taking a "lesser" antidepressant instead. It sounds like you've gotten Ophelia some serious help indeed, and I'll bet this is going to work for her. Crossing fingers and hoping all will be well soon!
When I was prescribed buspar, it was the least expensive...............
? It truely is the best anti anxiety medication in my eyes. It is not an anti depressant though, but works with anti depressants very well to treat anxiety and or panic attack symptoms. The best thing is when I stopped taking it, I didn't have any recurring symptoms, that was 2 1/2 years ago.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was told this isn't a "long-term" drug...in other words I won't have to medicate her forever for the rest of her life. I will ask about increasing the dosage, though!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Buspar for one of my babies years ago, with great success.

At the time, my vet was very doubtful about its effectiveness and warned me that I may not see any change for up to 2 months. Fortunately he was wrong - the change was almost immediate.

Since this was years ago, I don't remember if I gave my cat one or two doses per day, but I do remember that it was NOT increased at any time - there was no need. If anything, we were eager to begin decreasing it as soon as possible. We only had to use the drug for a couple of months before doing that.

Once she was weaned off Buspar, she never again exhibited any of the behavior that got her into trouble to begin with! She remained the same healthy, sweet kitty who no longer felt the need to attack her brother!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave Ophelia the first pill this am. hopefully, I will get the same results as KTLynn did!

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending calming thoughts for Ophelia and hopes she's good for her momma.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I hope Ophelia does well on her medication!
ditto ... isnt this the stuff they use to help smokers quit off to research

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are an awesome meowmy for taking such good care of Ophelia! I really hope this brings some good results for Ophelia. Keep us posted as to how it's working.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just thought I'd update...Buspar has been successful on some accounts. Ophelia sleeps next to me & purrs at night, no longer growls/hisses when I move or touch her at night, she isn't near as skittish around me or my family. My mom was very impressed, she can easily catch Ophelia & hold her. Ophelia follows anyone around the basement rubbing on their legs hoping to be petted now. She still attacks Lily, but that isn't really something medicine can fix.

Her dosage is up to 1 1/2 pills, that's 7.5 mgs I believe, that maximum dosage.