Do any of your cats play fetch?

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently a kitten of mine has taken a liking to playing fetch with me! She'll find one of her toy mice and prance on over, drop it in front of me and then cry. So I'll throw it to the other end of the apartment and she'll bolt across the room, find it and then bring it back for more!

Anybody else have a cat that does this?

sdblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, my terrified kitten Julio does just that--I do believe he was a dog in a previous lifetime, or when you see him by the water dish you may think he is a racoon he dunks his paws up past the elbows and then washes himself.
My kitten takes the cat toy balls and carries them around in his mouth like a dog carrying a ball.. He then drops them at your feet and bats at you till you throw them across the room. He stashes the balls in a corner and then brings them out when he wants to play. I have learned not to disturb them. He gets very upset if more than one is out of the "toy corner".

Enjoy it---he is showing you -you are alot of fun to play with!!

From SDBlondie who is
owned by
Patches, Sylvester, Hooligan, Sammy and Julio

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia started at 3 months, cracked me up! She still does it, but only with strings or shoe laces.....Heres some pics......

I just thought it was the cutest thing! She looks like a little puma running!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a friend who's cat plays fetch. Reeses will go after certain toys, she just won't bring them back
She does bring her favorite bell/feather toy over to us though if she wants to play.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats does a sort of fetching. If I put his catnip toys in our basement, he will soon start bringing them upstairs in his mouth, crying as he is doing so until he drops it. He doesnt like when I bring them downstairs.

I never figured out why he cries though when he does it?

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this cat siamese or part siamese? My siamese mix Viola loves to play fetch, so do a lot of the siamese on this site. I guess it's a trait of this breed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HRP

Anybody else have a cat that does this?
Scroll down to the "Suddenly Can Fetch?!" thread, there are some cute stories.

Originally Posted by cheylink

I just thought it was the cutest thing! She looks like a little puma running!
She is cute! I love her determined face in the second picture.

Tomas is my fetch kitty, last night be brought me a milk jug lid (I save them for gecko calcium dishes and must have knocked it off a shelf). He proudly brought it to me and dropped it right in my hand.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, my little Pearl taught me to play ball right away! She even announces the start of the game -- I'll hear her excited little "Mew! Mew! Mew!" from some distant part of the house, and she'll keep that up until she arrives at my feet with one of her little foam balls. And she's so smart, she often drops the ball a few feet out of my reach, so I'm forced to get up from my desk and fully dedicate my attention to our game!

I'm just crazy about that little girl.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my rexes played fetch - one was obcessed with it

Charlie sorta plays fetch - he's catching on
Ling never plays fetch.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention, the strays outside my house I feed must be part dog.

I have taught them to chase a ball or toy when I throw it across my yard, they run at top speed and pounce on it, truly amazing and fun for me too!

Only one will bring something back, a shoelace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hrp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol @ bringing back a Q-Tip.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Neko plays fetch but he is very picky about what he fetches. It's the only game he really enjoys actually. I have to experiment with the kitten ,Willie and see if he'll figure out how it''s done. Neko with fetch minnie koosh balls, and a homemade toy which is a plastic sandwich baggie filled with those half marbles (the ones used for mancala) until it was the weight a little heavier than a mouse. Then I folded that closed and wrapped it in bubble wrap so it was a ball. I tapped it using the smallest amount of scotch tape possible. i made sure there was a good amount of space between the bubble wrap and baggie so the ball had a "scruff" so it would hang loosely from his mouth by it's "scruff" (that's how Neko likes to carry things). I play by throwing it n my bed from across the room and he jumps up and brings it down to me. I can also throw it down or up stairs and he will bring it back. If I just throw it across the floor he will chase it but will not pick it up. He is a very picky player it seems

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, both of mine do, i taught heyu, who will play it now when she is in the mood.
and eazy was playing it from day one that i found him.

Funny story, i just woke up, and was sitting in my chair, when my father came over,
as we where talking i could something dark on the floor, since i did not have my glasses on, i asked dad what it was since he was still standing, will it turned out be big grasshopper(dead) well dad opened the back door and tossed it, Well heyu ran out to get in,and then dropped right where it had been.. i busted up laughing,

as for dad, he started swearing and went home.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its so funny because everyone thinks of the siamese breed for playing fetch but my siamese doesnt
my manx mix however does and she
to play fetch, ecspecially on the steps, and if u dont play with her she takes it upon herself to throw the toy down the steps and carry it back up and repeat

sharey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cat ocean loeves to play fetch.

Best toy for playing fectch: Thick hair binder!