Adopting from a Shelter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been looking through Petfinder for our possible new feline friend.
Question: Since I live in a studio apartment, will those shelters that do home checks be okay with this? Or will it be considered "not good enough"? I've never adopted from a shelter. Our cats have always adopted us.
Also, how do the adoptions from places like Petsmart work? Do we just go in, fill out an application and leave with the cat? Or is there a waiting period? This is all confusing to me.

Thanks

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats in my studio...and I was an trained adoption counselor for a shelter until last week! It really was more important to me when I was counseling and going through paperwork that a family was willing to provide stimulation for the cat, no matter how big or small the space was. We also require all of our cats to be indoor-only, so that's kind of a big issue with us...what do adopters do to keep their cats active and happy? For me, it's important (since I live in less than 450 square feet) that my cats have several shelves and trees to climb in and sleep on. Really utilize vertical space...it's just as important to cats as floor space.

One of my kitties came from Petsmart Adoptions. Basically, it depends on the policies of the shelter that has the cats there (since all Petsmart does is provide the kennels) and how often the volunteers ro staff from that shelter process paperwork. If they're there and their policies say so, you might leave with a cat
If not, there might be a waiting period. I had to wait over a week to pick my Leo up because the person in charge of processing paperwork just didn't come in for that long! At the shelter I worked at, we didn't show at Petsmart, but we did same day adoptions all the time. It really depends on the shelter.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the shelter. What matters more is 1) if you are ALLOWED to have a cat in your apartment, 2) what will happen to the cat when it comes time to move from your apartment, and 3) what happened to pets you have had in the past. If you got rid of a pet in the past, don't use the phrase "got rid of" on your adoption form. There also better be a good reason for it

For PetSmart adoptions, you usually fill out the forms and then they are given to the shelter for review and you come back to pick up the cat if they approve you, or if they want to interview you or do a home check or whatever. At least that is how it works around here I believe.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a kitty from our HS today

They will give you an application, and for us, we had to have our landlord sign it, stating that it was okay for us to have one, or more than one.
They never once asked about the size of our apartment either

Best of luck to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

For me, it's important (since I live in less than 450 square feet) that my cats have several shelves and trees to climb in and sleep on. Really utilize vertical space...it's just as important to cats as floor space.
Thank you

I really need to learn how to use the verical place here. The floor space is small. However, this is an old building with very high ceilings. I have a small cat tree in front of a window (only have south facing windows) the tree is about 4 ft high. I have a 72" high bookcase Seb likes to sleep on. I think I need to learn how to be handy with tools. Apartment manager said shelves were okay to put on the walls. Maybe if I came up with a plan and he materials, I could talk my brother into helping. LOL sorry, sorta free-thinking here. Let me know if you have any tips in this area. I need all the ideas I can get.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

It all depends on the shelter. What matters more is 1) if you are ALLOWED to have a cat in your apartment, 2) what will happen to the cat when it comes time to move from your apartment, and 3) what happened to pets you have had in the past. If you got rid of a pet in the past, don't use the phrase "got rid of" on your adoption form. There also better be a good reason for it

For PetSmart adoptions, you usually fill out the forms and then they are given to the shelter for review and you come back to pick up the cat if they approve you, or if they want to interview you or do a home check or whatever. At least that is how it works around here I believe.
I'm glad they ask about past pets. I'm not worried on that account, last pet I had is still with me 10 years later. Landlord is cool with cats, just hunting them down to get a sig may take a year or so

Thank you, this helps me know what to expect.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

We just adopted a kitty from our HS today

They will give you an application, and for us, we had to have our landlord sign it, stating that it was okay for us to have one, or more than one.
They never once asked about the size of our apartment either

Best of luck to you!
Thank you and CONGRATULATIONS on the new little guy!