We've adopted a kitty from our Humane Society

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, thats right

I've posted this in the PL, as I wasn't sure if it was for sure, or if our application would be approved. I called down to the HS this morning, and they approved us.

Here's what I've posted in the PL... I'm so excited to share it with all of you now

We went and looked at kitties Tuesday night at the HS....

I was having a rough afternoon and just desperately needed to get out of the apartment. So, John came home from work and we went down there. We walked in and I was just overwhelmed at first. I didn't know where to start!

There were 5 big rooms full of cats, so we just started in the first room, with the cats that were 5 months - 1 yr. The age we wanted.

So before we went in, we were talking to the lady and told her our Davidson story, and she started telling us about some of the cats, and she started to tell us about this little gray kitten that looked JUST like Davidson- she told me how he came to them really sick, ect., and that his name is Kizzy... MY nickname. I had tears in my eyes as I looked at him

So, we went into the 1st room & sat down, we wanted the cats to interact with us, and we wanted to watch them interact with eachother.

All of a sudden this mute orange/white kitten, about Davidson's size/age sat right in front of me and just looked at me. So I sat up a little bit and he jumped up on my lap and layed down! He started to play with the strings on my sweatshirt, and I was just in total love.
Then... it happened. He looked up at me, and put his nose to mine - JUST the same way that Davidson used to give me his 'kisses'. I just melted. He was purring and adoring the both of us.

I put him down, and he jumped right up on John's lap and did the SAME thing!

His name is Luna (we would change that) and he's just like Davidson's personality- an excellent match for Harley.

I got to the car and started crying, I was really happy though, I knew that they were tears of joy, and John said it made him feel so much better seeing all those happy cats around there. I was so nervous when we were on our way to the HS, but once we walked in, it was like all the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders- it was the first time in a day or 2 that John and I really smiled and laughed together, it was so good for us

I know it hasn't even been a week yet, but Harley needs this companionship more than ever, and it just seems so right for us right now

So far everything is going well, there is some hissing and growling on Luna's part, but Harley seems totally interested. Right now Luna is loving our fish aquarium, and Harley is taking a nap... things are getting better, I'm ready for the hissing to stop, but they are most defiantely interested in eachother, and I have a feeling they will start to love eachother soon enough

Luna is a complete cuddle bug, loves to be held and cuddled, and loves pizza-apparently
We have to keep an eye on our plates, or he'll eat right off of them!

I'm keeping a close eye on them both at the moment, as there are still some spats of hissing, but nothing more than that.

He is 11 months old- he was brought into the HS in November 2006- and his birth date is estimated to be April, 30 2006. He's been neutered, updated on shots and not declawed. He had ringworm when he came into the HS, but that cleared up for quite sometime now

Updated pictures of Luna (we need suggestions for names for him) will be up shortly in Fur Pics

Sorry this is so long, but I had a lot to say!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news!
I bet Luna well help cheer up Harley--and you two as well.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's awesome, Kenz!
I'm so happy for you, John and Harley, and your new addition, of course. He's going to be so happy in his new home. Can't wait to see pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone! I was so anxious to tell you all, but I didn't want to say anything for sure because we were so nervous!

He's adjusting well, they have actually been touching noses and giving eachother a few licks with little or no noise making from Luna!

I just gave Harley his wet food dinner, and gave a spoonfull to Luna, and he LOVED it- I didnt' want to give him too much, as he's never had wet before, and has only eaten Science Diet Adult at the HS.

He's so playful, he's adoring all the toys and stuff we have for him & Harley!

The lady at the HS was SO sweet, she clipped his nails for us before we left, which was so nice, I'm too nervous to do that

She told us that she was so glad we've decided to adopt from the shelter, and she looked like she was going to cry as we left, I told her that once he gets settled, I'm going to send her pictures.

I plan on making a nice Thank You card and send a few photos of him and Harley
I think she'd appreciate that

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Mackenzie, that is so wonderful!!! I don't know what to say, it's so great that you've found a new companion for Harley and you and dh. I hope it goes well, it sounds like fate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Aww, Kenz, I had no idea you were adopting a baby kit!!
I bet he will help the healing for the 3 of you.
Yeah... I kept it bit of a secret for the past week!
Surprise!

He really is healing us, he's so funny, so cuddly, and so lovey

He reminds me a lot of Davidson, but thats okay, we'll be keeping his memory alive for a long, long time.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Yeah... I kept it bit of a secret for the past week!
Surprise!

He really is healing us, he's so funny, so cuddly, and so lovey

He reminds me a lot of Davidson, but thats okay, we'll be keeping his memory alive for a long, long time.
That just brought tears to my eyes........