Health matters on a harness trained cat.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bindi is cureantly walking/roaming outside with a harness and leash its mid March, the vet says flea treatments should start in April. I'm curious what others things do I need to worry of besides fleas/ticks. I hear ear mites can also happen what about worms? I want to allow Bindi to walk outside sense he loves doing it as so do I. But what can I do to make sure he doesnrt get worms or ear mites? Vet says theres no way to treat him with prevention on ear mites? Next vet visit is in Aug.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All the things mentioned can happen to an INDOOR only cat...Bindi is up to date on rabies and had the full series of kitten shots??? if yes the only one you may want to discuss is bortatella aka kennel cough if Bindi is hanging around with other cats...( not likely
)... There are some shots if you only got a three in one you may want to talk with the vet about since the chance of an encounter is greater ....

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I *think* that one of the flea treatments you get from your vet is supposed to be anti-ear-mite as well but can't remember which one it is...

Anyway, Zissou is leash-trained, but I don't treat her for fleas. She mostly doesn't get in the grass, and if I found a flea she would get diatomaceous earth and a bath next day, and the problem would be over.

You don't really need to worry about much else, as your cat is supervised at all times outside and you know she isn't eating anything or in contact with random other cats.

Worms, mostly, are from fleas or contaminated food, so if you do use a flea treatment you needn't worry about them.

I, personally, don't take Zissou out when the mosquitoes are out. Heartworm and all that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our Bijou goes out so I just make sure he is up-to-date on shots and from April until November he and Mika are both treated monthly with Revolution which is supposed to cover ear mites as well as fleas.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zissou'sMom;1643658 said:
I *think* that one of the flea treatments you get from your vet is supposed to be anti-ear-mite as well but can't remember which one it is...

I use Revolution on my cats. It is anti-everything...ear mites, ticks, fleas and worms. My cats are indoor only...Merlynn was walking outside on a harness, but some people came by and looked at her and she ran up the stairs with me in tow and now she's rather just stay inside. hahahaha. I haven't had any problems with Revolution. Merlynn's been on it since last July and Pico since January. It's the same price as the other topical solutions - Frontline, Advantage.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think advantage and Frontline might also make a anti-ear mite solution. I don't think it covers worms, but..worms are easy enough to spot and treat if they catch them. I think the two of them are also anti-heartworm... and I'm not sure if cats are susceptible to that or not, but if it's offered, I'd add it in.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To the best of my knowledge...

Advantage - Fleas only
Frontline - Fleas and Ticks
Revolution - Fleas, Ear mites, roundworm, hookworm, and heart worm.

None of them take care of Tapeworm...separate med needed for that.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Frontline does a heartworm inclusive line for dogs, but honestly.. I haven't recently treated my cats for it.. unless the dog got fleas, since they're all indoors. I will probably have to look into it now that I've got one on harness.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I know Frontline does a heartworm inclusive line for dogs, but honestly.. I haven't recently treated my cats for it.. unless the dog got fleas, since they're all indoors. I will probably have to look into it now that I've got one on harness.
It's been awhile since I've used Frontline, I could be wrong. Let me know what you find...I'm curious.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Advantage - fleas
Advantix - fleas & ticks
Frontline - Fleas
Frontline Plus - fleas & ticks
Revolution - fleas/ticks/mosquitoes/heartworm

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On that note... has anyone used the advantix or the advantage? I haven't used them.. only ever used Frontline. Frontline has always been top notch in the flea department for mine, though... so I've never tried any of the others. If they work well and especially if they're any less expensive.. I'd be willing to try them.