Wisdom teeth stories

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Went to the dentist last month and found out my Wisdom teeeth are.... coming in just fine!!! On the top jaw that is, the bottom one are sideways but even then its doubtful that they will have to come out, they will just never eroupt and stay like that forever hopefully. I'm lucker then I thought .... Looking back I wonder if wisdom tooth extractions are the oralthdonist verson of vets trying to push bad foods to make more money for themselves. What are your veiws on this? And do you have any stories you'd like to share about wisdom teeeth?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told by the dentist that took mine that it is simply better to have them removed as most of the time, they eventually will cause some problems.
Mine came in fine, no problems at all except they were too big for me to properly close my mouth, I was a drool bucket

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having mine taken out wasn't that bad, but I don't think I have the best perspective in the world. When I had it done I had come close to death the month before due to a reaction to medication, and I was still healing from being really sick. So, in comparison to a near death experience having your wisdom teeth taken out isn't bad at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find that strange wisdom teeth are big yes, but the second molars were bigger in my case. I thinks its because they are vestages from our animal past, chimps our closest living anscestor cut their wisdoms at 12 or so we dont until we are in our late teens or early twenties they are evolving out of us. In another 10,000 years the teeth will be history, acording to a study by denstists I've read.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i only had one grow in that actually came throuhg my gums and well it was crooked and then the other 3 had grew in but were imbedded in my gums, and i was getting alot of headaches and the one that did grow fully out was bothering me so a month later i had surgery and got them all taken out and let me tell u i hated having those stitches in three different spots in my mouth since they actually had to do surgery and cut open my gums man am i happy they r gone and i dont need to get them removed any more
i still sometimes have pain where they did the surgery to remove them and man were they alll messed up
so i was in alot of pain for 2 weeks almost and i had to get 2 scripts instead of the usual one

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost put a thread on about wisdom teeth yesterday! I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. Of course, I was put to sleep to have it done. When I woke up, I hardly remember anything! My husband says I was really out of it. My mouth was bleeding pretty bad. The docter had said my bottom wisdom teeth were really hard to get out. They had to break one of the teeth into a few pieces to get it out. Both bottom teeth were in sidewards and were pushing against my other teeth. I took a longer time then normal to heal because they were so hard to get out. The meds I was on made me really tired and I slept a lot. Then when I tried to get off the meds, I got really sick. I think my body was addicted to them or something! It was one of the worst exeriences I have ever been through. For a couple of weeks I could hardly eat anything. I was so hungrey but couldn't open my mouth. It helped after I got my stitches out. I was soooooo happy when I coul finally eat normal again! Lets just say, I would NEVER want to go through that again! I am just so glad it is over!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had mine out for two reasons right before i turned 16.

1. i had just had all my orthodonic work done and had perfect teeth- the way my wisdom teeth were comming in- it would have messed up my teeth and made them out of line again.

2. they were really hurting!!!!!! it was a no brainer for me- i had mine out for two very good reasons. I don't regret it at all. The surgery wasn't bad in the least bit and the recovery wasn't too bad eithor. I had disolveable stitches. You can't drink out of a straw for a few weeks afterwards to prevent problems with the sockets the teeth were removed from. I'm glad i had mine out- they would have caused lots of problems had i not had the surgery- aside from that, they were comming in at a weird angle and were really hurting me- so it was no problem to have them out.
And don't let any horror stories you may have heard from others scare you- it's really NOT a bad procedure

one thing to add- I have sever TMD (everyone has tmj- it's the joint that connects your jaw to your skull- tmd is sort of like "arthritious" in that joint - you jaw doesn't align correctly when your mouth is closed- it can cause a ton of pain - i feel mine in my ears (they're joined in the same area) some people feel it in their jaws, some their ears - on a bad day i have pain in both areas.) Orthodonic work along with years and years of music are what did it for me- i sleep in a night guard every night (not noticable at all!
) and that really helps the pain- when you go to have your wisdom teeth looked at - have TMD ruled out as well if you ever experience any symptoms of it- it took my ENT to diagnose me with TMD after several ear surgeries - i now go to a dentist who specialized in TMD and has helped a lot- having your wisdom teeth out if you have it at all will really help!

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told for 3 years that I needed to get all 4 of mine out.
I was so frightened by this, as I have TMJ really really bad and was warned I could worsen my jaw problems with the procedure.

It also seemed so painful when I thought of the procedure.

Alas, in 2001, 5 days before Christmas, I had them taken out as my entire mouth of teeth was shifting causing more problems. When I got out of the surgery, apparently I asked, "why didn't you pull them out?" because I had been knocked out and thought they had only been with me about 5 minutes. Apparently, I babbled the whole way home and spent the next several days sleeping it off with the pain medication. If you don't take the medication, it hurts but if you have the time to allow your body to just rest afterwards it is not so bad. And I think my pain was more because of my severe TMJ so it may not even be that bad if you have a normal mouth

Sadly for me, my bottom left wisdom tooth was so long in the root they did not get all of it and its reforming. I'll be having it pulled down the road. But, that is rare so don't let that story fool you.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
hrm what to share. i'm 23 and wish all my wisdom teeth were up!!

one got taken out a few years ago before it came through the gum, the xray showed it was ona bad angle. another two are just sitting there but i can feel the corners of the teeth through the gum but no pain. and the other, holy cow poo, i had so much pain a few months ago. the WORST ever! i thought it would have to be taken out. it's about 60-70% up, but it's on a funny angle. not growing into the cheek a little. instead of beuing sideways say if you are looking down at the teeth, and all the teeth are square, this one is diamond.

blah. im not posting pictures lol

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine taken out the summer between high school and university. I was knocked out for it and it felt like I had merely blinked, but suddenly I was out of the operating room and in the recovery room. I sat up on the bed and my mouth felt full.....I saw a sink across the room, so I got up, walked over, and tried to spit. I then realized it was only gauze making my mouth feel weird, so I went back to the bed. Just as I sat down, a nurse came in and exclaimed "Oh my, you shouldn't be sitting up!" I burst out laughing, well as much as possible, but couldn't explain to her why. I was thinking "Boy, it's lucky you weren't in here a minute ago, cuz I was walking around". Anyway, I apparently recover very quickly from anaesthesia lol.

The recovery wasn't bad, I just took it easy (though I did go out to see a movie that night lol) and had some pain meds for a couple days. Then, I was good as new.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got mine out when I was 16- over spring break no less
but I made the fatal error of the straw
don't do it, I got dry sockets, and that was more painful than anything else

but really the only thing I remember was when I woke up from the surgery, they really had a devil of a time keeping me awake
and I was hungry, really really hungry. I lived off KFC mashed potatoes for a few days

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I lived off KFC mashed potatoes for a few days
I remember, when I got home, my mom had to go to work. So she left me set up on the couch with the tv remote. Lunch time rolled around and my 11 year old brother decided to make me lunch, since I was still a little loopy from the pain medicine and not up to cooking. I reminded him that I couldn't have anything solid. He said he had "just the thing". He came back in with baked beans, which he had microwaved and mashed into paste

I coughed it down, though, because he just looked so darn PROUD of himself!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

He came back in with baked beans, which he had microwaved and mashed into paste

That's sweet, just think of the time it took to mash all the beans up.

I don't have mine out yet, eventually the at least the bottom ones will have to go. I'm putting it off as long as possible because I'm afraid to go back to the dentist
Not because of pain but because of how horrible the local anesthetic makes me feel (sort of like I'm dying...), I'm really afraid what full anesthesia would do.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I remember, when I got home, my mom had to go to work. So she left me set up on the couch with the tv remote. Lunch time rolled around and my 11 year old brother decided to make me lunch, since I was still a little loopy from the pain medicine and not up to cooking. I reminded him that I couldn't have anything solid. He said he had "just the thing". He came back in with baked beans, which he had microwaved and mashed into paste

:flaill: aw, what a nice little brother

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my widom teeth was impacted (growing crooked), and it caused me dull headaches. Luckily, the root was not on a major nerve, and I had it taken out. I got a dry socket, and boy, did that hurt, and made for lots of followup trips to the orthodontist. But, I have no more headaches from the impacted tooth.

Husband had three taken out with no problems.

Hope it goes well for you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 4 of my wisdom teeth came in without issue and didn't shift any of my teeth.

I had the top 2 wisdom teeth removed about 6 years ago because they were really far back and while they fit in my mouth there were no teeth below them on my lower jaw and they were really difficult to brush and I had to use a child size toothbrush to get those 2 teeth.

With the extraction of those 2 wisdom teeth which were done in the dentist's chair using regular freezing, I have 28 teeth in my mouth. I should have 30 left with the 2 remaining bottom wisdom teeth. So I guess I had 2 permanent molars pulled out as a kid and don't remember.

Wisdom teeth can cause problems if there isn't room for them to grow in. They can cause your other teeth to shift, and interfere with your bite. Not many people have room for all of their wisdom teeth and that's why they get impacted or need to be removed for other reasons.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, got mine taken out 10 years ago. Little swelling too.

I had to have mine removed...I think only 1 grew in perfectly. The rest were all growing in crooked. So all the nice dental torture..er...work I had growing up would've gone to waste if I left them in for too long.

Plus my mouth is smaller then the amount of teeth I had at the time. For my dental work I had to get my first year molars removed just so that I could have room in my mouth to move teeth around.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have all of mine. Well thier not completely done growing in. They take forever to come all the way in. But I'm really hoping that I'll never have to have them out.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not have any bottom wisdom teeth only the two top ones. They were nice and straight. The doc pulled them out in less than 90 seconds for both-it took longer for the novacaine to work!!! No problems at all-the doc wished everyone was so easy.

So there are good stories too!!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I did not have any bottom wisdom teeth only the two top ones. They were nice and straight. The doc pulled them out in less than 90 seconds for both-it took longer for the novacaine to work!!! No problems at all-the doc wished everyone was so easy.

So there are good stories too!!!!
Yeah, no problem having mine out in the dentists office either. He removed 1 one week, and the second the next. No stitches either. He left the openings to "pouch over" meaning to fill in on their own.

I had no pain or swelling of any kind either.