The myth of cats walking on leashes.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today I got a new harness and a retractable dog lesh for small dogs under 20lbs for Bindi. He loved the new found freedom of the leash but I was met with some arrogence and skeptism with some members of my family. My dad says that cats cannot decide wheater or not to be all indoor or all outdoor and that unlike a dog they cannot realise that when the harness is on is only time when they are allowed out. Is this true? http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif. Bindi has been trained to walk on a smaller figure eight harness but until now I've had to keep up with him on his dashes through snow and grass, one thing I find neat about walking a cat vs walking a dog is they dont pull and demand freedom nearly as much as a dog would. So far Bindi has been wilder sense letting him out but he's still young about 9 months do you think he will one day assate the harness with going out instead of just meowing by the door everytime he wants to go out. I can tell he loves going out because today he woke me up early to go out. I rejected at the time because it was below 40 but he got a few walks later on when it warmed up.

Why does it seem like so many more dog owner walk their dogs and so few cat owners walk their cats is it like the goldfish belong in bowls myth?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I walk my cats on a leash! They love it and it's great exercise and stimulation for them to go outside.
People just aren't used to the idea, so you'll get a lot of negative reactions.
My cats have definitely come to associate the harnesses with going out. Whenever I pick up a leash, the boys go running to the door to go out.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

My dad says that cats cannot decide wheater or not to be all indoor or all outdoor and that unlike a dog they cannot realise that when the harness is on is only time when they are allowed out. Is this true?
Well my Mom has a cat who she initially brought in the backyard on a harness and leash, just for some fresh air. Frances was really well behaved, so eventually my Mom just took her off the leash and let her wander freely. Aside from 2 early escape attempts, Frances has been going outside, and of her own free will, staying within the fenced yard for two summers now. Believe me, the fence is not THAT high and she could easily climb a tree to get out or go underneath the fence, she just chooses not to. So she has definitely associated the privilege of going outside with the responsibility of having to stay within the fenced yard. Don't know if that really helps answer your question though. I just think that in Frances' case she learned to realize that outside is only allowed under certain circumstances. Maybe your cat will learn the same with the leash?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think you can train cats to do a lot of things - walking them on a leash is one of them - people just have different ideas about things. When I came to Spain and asked a Spanish friend who had cats where I could get a cat-flap from, (1) she didnt know what it was and (2) she was totally amazed at the idea of a door for a cat !!

My cats are indoor/outdoor cats and they join me for a walk around my garden, they love being with me, so same thing I think !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hope so, already hes tried to get outside a few times without the harness on but he's still under a year old I dont expect him to learn that fast! I kind of knew inside that letting him out on leash is the right thing to do as long as he's safe and has flea treatments. Bindi isnt a dog though I think he can learn about harness-outside. No harness on means-no outside just takes time. I hate it when people try to desensatize me about what in their minds is the right way of doing things, I dont think I'm alone in this boat though. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...laughing02.gif People have told me Bindi will not live as long because I let him out I think... well yeah if you let anybuddy out child or animal outside to run wild they will not live as long. Bindi is harness and leash trained and I watch over him very well. I think his wildness comes from excitement of seeing new things he never saw before and just being a kitten/cat youth.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I leash trained Zoey in about 10 minutes....she doesnt ealk miles like the dog but she enjoys it

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

My dad says that cats cannot decide wheater or not to be all indoor or all outdoor and that unlike a dog they cannot realise that when the harness is on is only time when they are allowed out. Is this true?
I only walk 2 of mine, they only go near the door when they have their harnesses on. They understand that harness = going outside.

Mister is really good, he walks like a dog. Spalding just goes wherever he wants or follows Mister.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bean is learning to use his harness pretty well. I think it's perfectly possible for a cat to learn that leash = walk, just like a dog can. Cat's are just as intelligent.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zissou darts to the door as soon as she hears the jingle of the harness, and unless its on her she won't go outside. I can open the door with me on the outside and she'll come to the door and smell the air but acts scared of coming out.

So, yes, it is a myth.

However, when you first start walking them they won't get it, and will try to get out numerous times on their own. And they'll succeed a couple times, and you'll have to go chasing after them.

You'll likely be met with all sorts of reactions, from staring to disbelief to "Awwww!" to people asking how to train their own cat to people acting mad that you have a cta on a leash.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

Bean is learning to use his harness pretty well. I think it's perfectly possible for a cat to learn that leash = walk, just like a dog can. Cat's are just as intelligent.
Yeah they can ... I do walk ZOey on the sidewalk as I have all my cat s.. the big difference is the distance the ave kitty will walk nice
.... they prefer to have "roaming and treeing access"... Zoey will go for about a block