Daylight Savings Time

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am NOT thrilled about this. I don't understand why they can't just leave time alone. First of all, for most of you, it will give you and extra hour of daylight, for ME it actually takes away that extra hour of daylight I have in the morning. I work the Graveyard shift, and I actually look forward to the dawn starting at about 6am, but now it won't start until 7am. During normal time, I usually open up the door to my office and watch the morning arrive, while no one is in the office yet. As morning arrives, there will be a bunch of people in the office including the boss, and I will miss morning arriving.

If it's not bad enough they are starting Day Light time earlier. I just wish they would leave it alone and let it be the way nature intended it to be.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I am NOT thrilled about this. I don't understand why they can't just leave time alone. First of all, for most of you, it will give you and extra hour of daylight, for ME it actually takes away that extra hour of daylight I have in the morning. I work the Graveyard shift, and I actually look forward to the dawn starting at about 6am, but now it won't start until 7am. During normal time, I usually open up the door to my office and watch the morning arrive, while no one is in the office yet. As morning arrives, there will be a bunch of people in the office including the boss, and I will miss morning arriving.

If it's not bad enough they are starting Day Light time earlier. I just wish they would leave it alone and let it be the way nature intended it to be.
Amen Hope... I used to work over nights and I know exactly how you feel.

When you fall ahead do you have to work the extra hour?

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're changing to it this weekend too - three weeks early this year, because they wanted to be the same as US. Not sure if all provinces are changing or not, though.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know why we moved up daylight savings this year?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Compliance with Bush's Energy Savings Act of 2005.
I agree with Hope, DST is an idea that has outlived it's usefulness and needs to be completely done away with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Compliance with Bush's Energy Savings Act of 2005.
I agree with Hope, DST is an idea that has outlived it's usefulness and needs to be completely done away with.
Somehow I KNEW Bush had to be behind this. I personally don't see where it's saving energy. Either you turn the lights on in the morning when you're getting up and getting ready for work, (Daylight time), or you turn them on a bit earlier in the Evening (Standard time). Either way, you are turning on the lights and using energy.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I never got why we did it. It causes so much confusion for a few days and our work is having trouble with the necessary Outlook patches so a lot of my appointments are entered wrong. I know next week that I will mess up something due to this!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They probably did this so that business men could play Golf an hour later or something silly like that. I really don't see where Daylight time is saving energy. You either use the extra energy in the morning or you use it in the evening.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was originally (and jokingly) thought up by Ben Franklin to conserve oil, coal and wood, and was put into effect nationwide it 1918, though is was started by Germany in 1916 during WWI.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend and I are talking about this on IM. If the aim is conservation, its pretty dumb since people can choose to have lights on or off whenever they please, same with the temperature in their house.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand Daylight Savings Time either. It's so confusing, although Saskatchewan doesn't practice it.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have always detested it. Because it was an easy fix, Congress got into their minds that we would save 1% on energy because there would be fewer lights on in the evening. What they didn't account for is that people would be driving MORE because with more daylight in the evening, they would go shopping, golfing, etc. The retail outlets love daylights savings time because of this.

And because of the the change, software companies are having to spend to get patches created and distributed. I had two different patches download to my machine at work 3 times each to make sure that I had the time change updates.

So Congress thinks it looks like they are being proactive on energy savings but not really doing a darn thing.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Ok... question.. are we going ahead or back..?? I always suck at this!
Spring ahead, fall back. So tomorrow when Kitters wakes you up at what used to be 4am, it will be 5am.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, its spring forward...fall backward.

My hubby has to be over at his office tonight...just to make sure everything with the phone systems throughout their offices is going to work alright. He's not happy about that but what can we do?

The only 'good' thing about having the time change twice a year...is that this is a puurrrfect opportunity to flip over mattresses! LOL! No really! You're supposed to turn over your mattress twice a year...with this being about the only thing that happens twice a year without fail, like it or not, its a great time to flip 'em over! I used to try to remember when I last did it...but now, this is pretty fool-proof! Of course, this doesn't apply for y'all who have pillow tops and other kinds that don't require flipping.

So! Remember to flip your mattresses over y'all....either head to foot or side to side...and in October, when we do the time change again...do the opposite!

Hilda>^..^<

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful. Not! It's enough of a pain trying to keep track of time zone differences when they're coordinated, but we don't go on DST till the last weekend in March.