TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › science diet vs nutro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

science diet vs nutro

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
After being on here so long and reading how different cats are on brands besides sd i figure i would switch(its 3-4 dollars cheaper a bag anyway-and using 6 bags a month...) I have always done the mixing thing-1/5 new..wait then increase it. well on the first week of 1/5 I have had 3 cats from one litter show issues(gas, BLOODY diarthea and puking) and a couple others are doing the same...does anyone know anything in nutro that is not in sd. the cats are misserable and house STINKS!!! like the 24 cats in it... I have replaced the litter twice and had to give a few baths. definatley getting off this nutro junk. now i am curious for things to look out for...these are cats who get treats of friskies with no problem. I bought the bag of nutro from petsmart and its a high turnover rate and no problems with other bags fo food from them thanks for any input
post #2 of 12
Which Nutro did you buy??? and which SD were you using???

My guess is Max??? well cept for hairball max they have wheat ...

The other thought is due to all of the by product corn soy in the SD that they have been trying to digest the Nutro digested too quick ( it is rare on a switch but does happen most in cats ..

Was it bright blood or the dark?>??? if Dark it may be good to go to the vet ....
post #3 of 12
I have fed my cats Science Diet, Prescription CD, Iams, Nutro and now Innova and Wellness. Although my Dusty cat never used to stink, he has developed this problem. Any change at all in his food and he is extremely flatulent for a couple of weeks. I don't know how long you have had the cats, but is it possible they are sick? I too have a multi cat household and if one gets something, they soon start passing it around. I recommend a trip to the vet as soon as possible. Bloody anything is serious. I too have been dealing with some diarrhea over the past few weeks. When I took Chester in they checked his stool sample, blood and urine and found no problems. The likely cause, stress from our new kitten. Your problem could be nothing more than hairballs or sensitivity to this change in diet, but it is best to be sure. There is nothing wrong with any of these brands. If you suspect a bad batch try contacting the manufacturer.
post #4 of 12
I feed Nutro dry (or sometimes Royal Canin Persian) and Innova Evo wet to my cats. They have never had trouble with either. I used to feed IAMS. could it be a coincidence that they came down with this at the same time? Have you tried taking them off for awhile? If you do and it clears up for a week or so, then try adding a little nutro again. If the problem shows up again, it is the food not agreeing with them for one reason or another.
post #5 of 12
Intresting - I always thought that Nutro Max was much better then Science Diet.

We are feeding Royal Caine right now and both cats are doing fine on it. Charlie's breeder feed RC - used to feed Iams like I always did. I tried SD one time with my rexes - they hated it - I switched to Iams their entire lives.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Intresting - I always thought that Nutro Max was much better then Science Diet.

We are feeding Royal Caine right now and both cats are doing fine on it. Charlie's breeder feed RC - used to feed Iams like I always did. I tried SD one time with my rexes - they hated it - I switched to Iams their entire lives.
IMHO Max is better than SD but all cats are different... I have had one do excellent on max and the other who was allergic to wheat ...
post #7 of 12
I agree that Nutro is MUCH better than SD, but I had the same problem with Nutro, ryan, my kitties got very stinky loose stools, and all that.

you know what's coming Jenifer!! I feed my kitties Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's soul it is cheaper than Nutro and IMO just as good (if not a wee bit better ) it runs about $21 for a 18lb bag. It's not available at Petsmart, and I don't know your location, but if you have a Pets Supplies Plus around you, it is available there, and also most feed stores carry it you can go to their website and they have a store locator
http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...ealer_locator/
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I agree that Nutro is MUCH better than SD, but I had the same problem with Nutro, ryan, my kitties got very stinky loose stools, and all that.

you know what's coming Jenifer!! I feed my kitties Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's soul it is cheaper than Nutro and IMO just as good (if not a wee bit better ) it runs about $21 for a 18lb bag. It's not available at Petsmart, and I don't know your location, but if you have a Pets Supplies Plus around you, it is available there, and also most feed stores carry it you can go to their website and they have a store locator
http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...ealer_locator/

You know I think Chicken soup is good ... Ryan you may want to try it... see some cats need less protein and fat for digestion... I would like to know which Nutro your feeding /....
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
You know I think Chicken soup is good ... Ryan you may want to try it... see some cats need less protein and fat for digestion... I would like to know which Nutro your feeding /....
I know you do, I've just been slacking on my spokesperson-ship lately figured this a good opportunity to jump in!
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
I was using the orange bag. i took them off thurs night and fasted them for 12 hours..then fed them a little bit. so far I have seen their stools firm up. since they are showing no other signs(and now improving it was bright blood. I doubt illness as if a cold or something hits them ill see all get it. and since the fast and going back on sd they seem to have improved. I love royal canin but can't feed due to the amount I need id have to be able to find the big bags localy(ordering on top of the price would be about 40 a bag) chicken soup i might try in a bit when this all clears up... had to go into work on day off so sorry for the delay. also something i noticed was one threw up a very strange consistency...it was gritty..that was early thurday. it looked like poop but i saw the cat puking it up.
post #11 of 12
Yup max I suspect they havent been introduced to wheat or too lamb both of which are in that bag...
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
just a update(sorry its been a long wait...work is hectic!) all are completley back to normal eating sd dry. might try some cs in few weeks but for now i need to keep their tummys settled for a bit. poor maggie(my most recent addition who with her brotehr came from a unsocialized home...she had poop on her butt fur and could help her to much as shes to freaked to be held to long.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › science diet vs nutro