Woman makes cat hair sweater...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this tonight on msnbc- and thought it was fitting to share with you all.

Would any of you seriously consider doing this?!

Cat Hair Sweater Video

I was having some problems w/ the video, but I'm not sure if its just my computer- but if you go to this MSNBC website and scroll 1/2 way down, to the right side is the link to the video

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see the whole piece on th news, just the littl blurb and a quick shot of the sweter. It was really pretty. I could get enough cat hair in about a week to make a sweater out of.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not my kind of thing, sorry! God knows, with 9 cats in my house, I have enough cat hair in my vacuum's cannister to knit 2 sweaters...
And i already "wear" cat hair sweaters (and pants; and skirts). I've also haeard of people using dog fur for knitting.

I thought her cats were beautiful, though--the white/grey one looks like my Marge.

Thanks for sharing with us!

MargeCat

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm That's kind of wild...I don't think I would do that, I have a bag of
Bella's
hair from when she had her leg amputated and I touch it whenever I need to, but I don't think I want a sweater...my other cats would freak I think

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nellers

Hmmm, most of my clothes already look like cat sweaters
Yep mine look like dog and cat hair. I think the sweater is a bad idea. What if you go around someone with allergies to cats that are lethal? With that much cat hair it could pose a big problem for allergic individuals.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I think the sweater is a bad idea. What if you go around someone with allergies to cats that are lethal? With that much cat hair it could pose a big problem for allergic individuals.
No, I don't think so. The hair gets thoroughly washed before knitting, so the saliva (which causes the allergic reaction) gets washed away.
I know someone who weaves dog hair. Some of the dogs I walk would make lovely sweaters! I'd wear one.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

No, I don't think so. The hair gets thoroughly washed before knitting, so the saliva (which causes the allergic reaction) gets washed away.
I know someone who weaves dog hair. Some of the dogs I walk would make lovely sweaters! I'd wear one.
I know the saliva is a common allergen. But it can also be the hair.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear that the cat sweaters are very soft, but I agree with everyone, I already wear a cat and dog clothes everyday.
But goodness knows, that I probably could knit everyone here a "scarf" or something from all of the fur I get from using my pet de-shredder comb...Yikes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

I hear that the cat sweaters are very soft, but I agree with everyone, I already wear a cat and dog clothes everyday.
But goodness knows, that I probably could knit everyone here a "scarf" or something from all of the fur I get from using my pet de-shredder comb...Yikes.
I probably could make a baby sweater with the hair I get from Harley! Or maybe a hat?

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this kinda creepy weird?
I kind of agree with you. I think its a lil gross that she went around her house picking up loose hair that her cat shed to make a sweater out of. I mean dont get me wrong its still cool to put in like a show case but to actually wear it?? its a lil odd to me I dont know maybe Im just weird lol