If they get thirsty enough, will they drink?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the anticipation of getting a new cat that has probably Herpes issues, I filled our cat fountain with water (1 gallon) that had 1 (ONE!!!) L-Lysine pill in it. The fountain looks awfully full today. I expected they would be able to tell the difference a "little" - do you think they would, like, not DRINK because they are that finicky? Sheesh!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you think you kits might not be drinking, I'd give them fresh water. Then grind up the Lysine pill & dose either just Clyde or all the cats(if you want to). I believe 500 mg a day is a maintenence dose...I don't know if 1 pill in a gallon of water will help any. I'm not 100% sure on any of that, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If you think you kits might not be drinking, I'd give them fresh water. Then grind up the Lysine pill & dose either just Clyde or all the cats(if you want to). I believe 500 mg a day is a maintenence dose...I don't know if 1 pill in a gallon of water will help any. I'm not 100% sure on any of that, though!
No, I was going to work upwards from the 1000 mg in 1 gallon. It was my feeble hope that they wouldn't be able to tell it was in there, and then I could gradually increase the dosage.
They are such brats sometimes, aren't they?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

No, I was going to work upwards from the 1000 mg in 1 gallon. It was my feeble hope that they wouldn't be able to tell it was in there, and then I could gradually increase the dosage.
They are such brats sometimes, aren't they?
You forget....the kitties were watching you & know you spiked their water!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

You forget....the kitties were watching you & know you spiked their water!
No wonder they're winning!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I gave Spot lysine, I would dissolve it in a little water and then syringe it into his mouth. With Odo and Willow I'm lazier and make them swallow either a whole or half pill (sometimes I split the dose to twice per day).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

When I gave Spot lysine, I would dissolve it in a little water and then syringe it into his mouth. With Odo and Willow I'm lazier and make them swallow either a whole or half pill (sometimes I split the dose to twice per day).
That might work better than spiked water