TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat behavior books?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat behavior books?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
A repsonse on another thread got me thinking:

Do you guys know any GREAT cat behavior books?

I'm thinking something like "Culture Clash" (a dog book) for cats or something like that. I don't want a book with just anecdotes and cute stories but real insight.

Any suggestions?
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fats McGee View Post
A repsonse on another thread got me thinking:

Do you guys know any GREAT cat behavior books?

I'm thinking something like "Culture Clash" (a dog book) for cats or something like that. I don't want a book with just anecdotes and cute stories but real insight.

Any suggestions?
Do you really think anyone's figured it out enough to write a book? j/k - but I don't know of any...
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm going to hijack my own thread but: the other day at work I walked by my favorite cat "Scooby" and she was going poop but instead of standing in the litte she straddles the side of the box, standing on the rim and when I laughed at her, she got all pissy and hissed at me and I just thought "Well, I'd be angry if someone laughed at me pooping" ...

so maybe i just need a human psychology book.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fats McGee View Post
I'm going to hijack my own thread but: the other day at work I walked by my favorite cat "Scooby" and she was going poop but instead of standing in the litte she straddles the side of the box, standing on the rim and when I laughed at her, she got all pissy and hissed at me and I just thought "Well, I'd be angry if someone laughed at me pooping" ...

so maybe i just need a human psychology book.
Wow, you have cats at work? Or maybe you work in a shelter...
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
I do work in a shelter.
post #6 of 13
Amy Shojai is very often recommended. I don't have any of her books.

I am just now reading "How to Get Your Cat To Do What You Want," by Warren Eckstein and Fay Eckstein.

It is SO not what it sounds like! It is NOT a cat-clicker or trick-training book! The introduction begins with how their kitty came into their lives, and leads up to "I firmly believe that your cat is a member of your family. If you keep that in mind, if you truly feel it, your cat will act like one. That is one of the basic premises of this book...." and goes on to say "...If you treat your cat with love, if you treat your cat with respect, if you treat your cat as if he or she is an intelligent, thinking animal, capable of making decisions, your cat will respond in positive, astonishing ways."

They are animal (not just cat) behaviorists, apparently very famous, and get great results. I'm half way through the book, and I totally recommend it!

Laurie
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fats McGee View Post
I do work in a shelter.
As my daughter would say, "I'm smart like that."
post #8 of 13
I have Twisted Whiskers & Cat Vs. Cat(because my cats fight a lot). Can't remember the author, but IMO Cat Vs. Cat is the better of the two.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I have Twisted Whiskers & Cat Vs. Cat(because my cats fight a lot). Can't remember the author, but IMO Cat Vs. Cat is the better of the two.
I also like Cat vs. Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennet. It has alot of good info even if you have only one cat.
post #10 of 13
Have you heard of "So You Think You Know About Cats?" by Ronald Rosen, DVM, and Francine Hornberger? Each chapter has an introduction, followed by a quiz, and then the correct answers to the questions. http://www.amazon.com/You-Think-Know...3550628&sr=8-8
One of my favorites is "Catwatching" by Desmond Morris. http://www.amazon.com/Catwatching-De...550760&sr=1-32
post #11 of 13
I have 'Twisted Whiskers' and 'Psycho Kitty?' both by Pam Johnson-Bennett on my desk right now.

I've only read a few pages of each, and taken a quick peek at each section. They seem to be pretty good, but focus more on individual case-studies which may be a lot to read if you are just looking for fast suggestions.

I'd say check out the books, but stick with the forums.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I have Twisted Whiskers & Cat Vs. Cat(because my cats fight a lot). Can't remember the author, but IMO Cat Vs. Cat is the better of the two.
i was also going to recommend Think Like a Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett. i would read that, then Cat Vs Cat. Cat vs Cat concentrates more on multicat households. anything by her is great though.

also, those two books are written to be put into use by the average pet owner. they are not just case studies.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
i was also going to recommend Think Like a Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett. i would read that, then Cat Vs Cat. Cat vs Cat concentrates more on multicat households. anything by her is great though.

I'm reading Think Like a Cat right now! I did read Cat Vs Cat first. Both were very helpful! She advocates a lot of play and focuses on their love of routine. Good reads.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat behavior books?