How much do you tip?

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just ordered some food. The minimum order was $10 so I had to order a couple sandwiches. How much do you tip for something like that?

How much would you tip???

the maid at a hotel after being there a week?
the woman cutting your hair - a typical $15 guys haircut?
cabs?
pizza guy?
bell hop?
waitress?
those Outback people when you get curbside take-away?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
For waitresses, I do around 20%... unless the service wasn't good.

For deliveries, usually $2-3 depending on the amount. Or $1 for groceries delivery (the last time I had groceries delivered, I almost had to chase the guy down the stairs to give him his tip... that was kind of weird
)

When I order at "fastfood" type of restaurant or coffee shops that have a tip jar, I always give something (unless the service is bad, of course) but the amount depends on what I have... I usually just put in some of the change they hand in.

Bars I also give around 20%

Hotels, I would leave $1-2 when leaving, unless I needed a lot of service during my stay, then I would give more.
Ok, I don't use hotels often at all, but I use to work in a motel cleaning room and I know how rare and appreciated tips are.

hairdressers / taxi / ... I don't really use

cynni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

the maid at a hotel after being there a week? I have left 2-5 dollars, but DAILY, because sometimes you get a new maid each day, Imagine having the same maid for 5 days, and on the day you leave, and leave the tip, it is someone new... so i tip daily...

the woman cutting your hair - a typical $15 guys haircut? I get a 18.00 haircut , I tip $5, if i get a full cut , blowdry, etc... I tip more.

cabs? i OWN a taxi company, the only 1 within 50 miles, and I can tell you people do NOT tip enough.... Pull up at grocery store, they shove a FULL cart of groceries at ya and THEY get in the cab... we load, drive them, then unload for them, and get ZIP most of the time.... TIP YOU CAB DRIVERS !

pizza guy? 20-30 dollars pizza order.... 3-5 bucks... if it is bad weather, sometimes more. we LOVE our Pizza kid, he was my sons YMCA lifeguard, and always looks out for my son !

bell hop? 2-5 dollars depending on what he does for me

waitress? typical 15-20%, if I have to ask for refills on drinks, and chase wait person down for things... 5-10%, but no matter how bad the service, I still leave something....even at a buffett, i still leave a buck or 2.

those Outback people when you get curbside take-away? 2 dollars

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that every single field of customer service needs to be tipped.

Restaurants, hair dressers ... yes because they actually spend time doing something for you.

Cabs, pizza delivery guy, courier, dry cleaner... where does it end?

Cabs: Most drivers just sit in the car and drive you to where you want to go and sit in the car when you get out. Why should I tip for that?! If a driver takes the time to get out of the car and help me with my parcels, fine, I'll tip. But if he sits on his butt in the car and just pops the trunk and I have to do it all myself... why should I tip? Also, cab drivers here are notorious for yaking on their cell phone while you sit there and they ignore you.

Pizza delivery: That's their job. It takes them 2 minutes to drop off my pizza and pick up money. What's to tip?

Courier: Again, that's their job. Pick up a parcel and deliver it to me. Takes 1 minute to drop off the parcel and go. Again, what's to tip?

Dry Cleaner: Should I tip the person at the check out in Wal-Mart too?

I think this tipping protocol has gone way over board.

People may think I'm cheap for not tipping all of those other jobs, but I am on disability getting 60% of my usual income and I can bearly survive. I don't need to be throwing it away in tips. When I work, even though I have more income, I still feel the same thing. I just don't feel that every job that involves customer service requires tipping. I go by how much time they spend "with me" and helping me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just tipped the guy $4. That was a good number to me. $1... too cheap. $2....meh. $3... that sounds about right. Then I added an extra buck. They gave me a 1 liter bottle of diet coke for free because this was my first order.

$4 would make me happy when I delivered pizza back in my college days.

I am cursing the $4 I gave the woman who cut my hair on Monday. She was a nice lady, but man she messed my hair up.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cubbie

I just tipped the guy $4. That was a good number to me. $1... too cheap. $2....meh. $3... that sounds about right. Then I added an extra buck. They gave me a 1 liter bottle of diet coke for free because this was my first order.

$4 would make me happy when I delivered pizza back in my college days.

I am cursing the $4 I gave the woman who cut my hair on Monday. She was a nice lady, but man she messed my hair up.
What did you order tonight?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tipped my hairdresser $3 today it was all i really had after paying for my haircut (not cheap!) but i wanted to give that to him because he's awesome.
As far as everything else goes- it COMPLETLY depends on the person for me- if they're rude- absolutely no tip. But if they're polite,and kind- i ALWAYS tip- how much depends on how much i have and what i'm tipping them for
I always try to tip though if i feel the person deserves it- a lot of people really depend on their tips to supplement their income.

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for maids at hotels I hardly ever stay more than one night at a hotel.
I always tip my hair stylist between $8-10
for a waiter or waitress depends on the service I have tipped more than 40 percent to a very good one and one time I left a 2 cent tip to a waiter cuz the service was extremely horrible.
Pizza and other delivery service people a couple dollars
I always tip the person who does my nails around $5 or 6 unless the nails look horrible in that case I don't even tip

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just ordered some food. The minimum order was $10 so I had to order a couple sandwiches. How much do you tip for something like that?

cabs?
pizza guy?
bell hop?
waitress?
For a maid... I guess I don't beacuse I'm never the one paying when we go, its usually w/ my parents or something like that, me & John have never gone anywhere that we have to pay for it.

Haircut.. I pay $10 for a cut, I'll give her a $5 tip- but when I get my hair cut, colored/highlighted, eyebrows waxed and style- its about $45 - and I pay her around $50-$55.

Cabs- I never take them.

Pizza guy... we never have delivery, its only like a mile down the road so we always go get it.

Waitress... Depends on the service

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dining out - 20 - 50% My first job was as a waitress, and often big tippers made up for the people who didn't know how to tip. Also, if the service is bad, or the waiter is a prick, I leave 15% exactly and write a note on the check that they should lose the attitude. That way when the manager sees it, it means more because I wasn't being cheap on the tip and looking for anything to complain about. The managers do see those things too. For nicer establishments, I request the same waiter when possible and leave big tips so they remember us and we get better seating etc.

Maid at hotel - $2 per person in the room per day. If it's a business trip I often encounter the person in the morning, and if they have a lovely attitude (always do it seems), I leave more including a bonus at the end of the stay. I also always leave compliments with the hotel management and the chain.

Room service - $2 - 5 depending on what was delivered.

Pizza guy - $5 or more depending on the order.

Hair dresser - 15% on a job where I'm not so sure about how I feel at the end. If I know right away that I love it, they get 30 - 50% and my repeat business. Again, this is so they remember me and I get nice treatment. My two hair places that I go to frequently cost $250 each per visit, one does cut, the other does color. But they do a damn good job! (I'm really not high maintenance despite how this seems.
)

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

cabs?
pizza guy?
bell hop?
waitress?
Maid - I have never tipped maids, even after being there a week. whoops!

Haircut - 20% of the bill.

Cabs - usually 10%

Pizza guy - 10%

bell hop - $2-$3

Waitress - 20% if its good service. 15% if just okay.

Curbside takeaway - I have never tipped for pick up orders. I feel that is not true "service" worthy of tipping.

Nor do I tip valet parking people. I feel like the valet fee is enough, ya know?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I am with Natalie_ca on tipping being overboard.

I tip well for people I think deserve to be tipped, but I do not tup at the dry cleaners, valet (unless its free valet) parcel delivery guys (I would be broke with all the parcels we get)

I can't remember the last time I took a cab, I know I did tip him as he helped carry my bags etc but like someone said, if they help you above their job of driving - yes, if they just drive, its not like I would tip the city bus driver!

For my hairdresser, yes, my cut comes to $40 plus $5 for long hair and I give her $60 but she always fits me in to her schedule when I call even if it means she stays late.

I too leave $2-3 in my hotel room each day I want maid service and leave a tip at the end of the week too but again it depends on the service, we once went into a room that had pasta sauce on the wall with a piece of spaghetti still in it, we mentioned it, it was still there later - no tip!

With food deliveries, it depends on whether it is free delivery - if there is a delivery charge then no, that is basically a built in tip, if it is free delivery, i usually give about $5 (we don't spend a lot on food deliveries as it is just the two of us, if it was a big order, I would give more)

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually do 10% of the bill for waitresses and haircuts. For housekeepers at hotels (I did this job for 2 years) I leave a dollar a person a day, but housekeepers actually only hope for a dollar a bed a day. I can say that housekeeping is one of the hardest jobs I had and they don't get paid squat for the disasters people leave.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely tip a maid-which is bad as I was a maid after I graduated from HS and before college-I never received any tips.
Waitstaff usually around 15%
Do sort of delivery where I live so do not have to worry about that.
Taxi's-rarely take them-on vacations only
Hair stylist-I usually tip $10 for my cut $20 for the works.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually tip 15 to 20% for just about everything. I tend to calculate the amount on larger bills and then round up. For small things, such as a $10 charge, I probably overtip, because I would leave probably around $3.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

cabs?
pizza guy?
bell hop?
waitress?
I don't stay at hotels.
Haircut - $5
Cabs don't have here.
Pizza guy- $5
Bell hop don't have here
Waitress- Depends on bill amount. About 10-15% depending on service.
Don't get curbside.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the maid at a hotel after being there a week? I tip about $2 a day, usually it is a different person each day so I feel it works out.
the woman cutting your hair - a typical $15 guys haircut? I go to a place that does not allow tipping. The price on the sheet is the price you pay.
cabs? Do not take them but it would depend on the service and how far I go.
pizza guy? 10%
bell hop? Never been to a place fancy enough for a bell hop
waitress? 20-25% I used to be a waitress and you get enough 0-20% tips that it will even out over the night for them. Bad service is a different story.
those Outback people when you get curbside take-away? Not a fan of take away.