Wanting Another Cat but DH says "NO!"

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need some help. I have my two little babies and I love them so much. But I really want to help out another cat and adopt one. DH says no! Do you think there is any way to convince him? He is hung up on the house being overrun with cats, and seems to think he should not be out-numbered by cats. It took a year to get him to let me adopt my Maverick. Do I have any hope???

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well my dad said the same thing when we brrought tessa and blue and made it 6
he said no...but we still did it
we are the ones who take care of the cats and she pays for them when they need food, litter, ect. toys and the vet, he never puts the money in and as my mom said she pays half the bills and the mortgage
so he was mad but he got over it
all she did was get really mad at him when he said no and then he turned around and said yes..although he does still complain a lil now but hey we got 6 cats

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm outnumbered by my cats and it's not a problem. I just need to cater to their every desire as soon as they make me aware of it. That's normal, right?

Can you just kind of "temporarily" acquire one and hope that he grows to like it? Although I wouldn't want him to be seriously angry about getting one without his agreement, so that might not be the best plan after all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried the temporary idea this summer when we fostered Preggers Gabby who had 7 kittens. He would not let me keep any kitten nor Gabby.
They all got excellent homes, mind you, but the temporary cat was just that to him: temporary.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nellers

I tried the temporary idea this summer when we fostered Preggers Gabby who had 7 kittens. He would not let me keep any kitten nor Gabby.
They all got excellent homes, mind you, but the temporary cat was just that to him: temporary.
Not even one little tiny kitten?! What kind of person are we dealing with here??

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are financially stable, I'd say forget what he thinks!
I don't think its fair that HE calls the shots, if you can afford it, and have enough room to adopt another. Then get one!

If he wanted something really bad, adn you said no, would he listen?
John wouldn't!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You two are tempting me!!!

In all seriousness, we almost kept one of the kittens, Spike. But Maverick seemed scared of him so I dropped the issue. (Maverick is a scaredy cat at times). Maybe the next time he goes away for his conference.....

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

If you are financially stable, I'd say forget what he thinks!
I don't think its fair that HE calls the shots, if you can afford it, and have enough room to adopt another. Then get one!

If he wanted something really bad, adn you said no, would he listen?
John wouldn't!
I completely agree with that, thats pretty much what we did

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacob was supposed to be our temporary cat - daughter couldn't have him at her place, so she asked if he could stay here for a while. DH groused about it, but Jacob was on his way, so he couldn't do anything!
. Anyway, that was almost 2 years ago! He's still here! And DH doesn't want him to leave! Maybe I could sneak another one in - do you think he'd notice?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could one just "accidentally" follow you home from the shelter??

Or just have him bond with a cat. Once you hook him there's no turning back! That's how my SIL got her third dog

They went to the pet store, started playing with one of the dogs and then the little girl stuck her leg out like our family dog did growing up.
So that melted my brothers heart and they took her home.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Or just have him bond with a cat. Once you hook him there's no turning back! .
It works! Let him think he made the choice….

After Eden and Frisky passed away last year we were down to fourteen and in “no new cats for 20 years†mode…until we stopped at the shelter and a cat that had been dumped there came running out from under a car and up to Aaron and let him cradle him on his back like a baby. Once we got home I kept reminding him how sweet the cat was, how much he had always said he loved polydactyl cats and how living outside at a high kill shelter was such a sad situation for a nice black cat…and the olâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] “it must be important to my wife because she looks sad†trick.

A few days later we went back to get Bart.

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nellers

I need some help. I have my two little babies and I love them so much. But I really want to help out another cat and adopt one. DH says no! Do you think there is any way to convince him? He is hung up on the house being overrun with cats, and seems to think he should not be out-numbered by cats. It took a year to get him to let me adopt my Maverick. Do I have any hope???
Tell him he can let you adopt another cat.... OR you want to have a kid.

You are making me want to get a 3rd kitty too.
Gotta blame it on someone.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cubbie

Tell him he can let you adopt another cat.... OR you want to have a kid.
That's the best solution I've heard yet!

Please let us know how that conversation goes.