Considering Second Cat

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have recently been in a situation where a lovely, older cat in our shelter needs a new home. My concern of course is how my only cat, Astrid, will take to having a companion, since she is the princess of this place.

The cat I want to take in is an older, large, just neutered male Maine Coon. I suppose he was an abandoned cat and lived in a feral colony and was recently trapped. He was fine around humans in the center and very affectionate, especially since he has really had a rough time since he arrived.

So, I would be adopting a male cat, already stressed from the surgery, grooming, and second rehoming to live with an only female smaller cat who has my complete attention. I know to introduce them slowly, and keep them separate for awhile but I do not want to have to return this poor cat if I take him and Astrid can't deal. He is such a love bug (at least he was the last time I saw him) and needs a good home.

Any advice from those who have been there? How long till you know it will be OK? Any problems between female and male cats?

I know my heart is in the right place but I also want was is best for both cats.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, could you get something with his scent on it and bring it home for your girl to smell? Not that it would make or break the deal but you may get a signal from her reaction........ He sounds like he would just love a home with love! Although your girl may not appreciate an "outsider" in the home, then again she may like it. You never know, but it is a good idea to talk to her about it and give her any signals you can think of if you do. Also if he is not completely recovered from surgery, he will have a different scent, it would be important to keep them separate for a while if there are any signs of aggression. If you could bring his scent home first, it may help the intro......

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your heart is definitely in the right place
I know that from what I have read, males and females work the best if you are introducing older cats to other well-established household cats. Is the male very dominant, or more docile? I had been advised to get a docile male cat when I was looking for a second cat for my Penelope, a very stubborn strong-willed young female. He sounds like an adorable little "big" guy. My vote is try it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input. I have contacted the organization and told them I need a little more info about his temperment and any medical issues. And I am sure I can get something with his scent.

He is such a beautiful and loving cat, especially since he has been so stressed with all stuff he has been through since February. My main concern is how my very adored and spoiled princess will react - I think she needs a companion, but I don't want to freak her out. She was a feral and just became "domesticated" within the last few months to the point where I can pick her up, etc.

I will keep you posted. Whatever happens I want this cat to have a good and loving home.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my case, Persi was the 9 month old male established cat, and Alley the 2-3 year old female. It took some time and doing but as you can see from their picture, they are best of buddies now. However, there were quite a few days at first that it appeared they would never like each other but all worked out well. Persi really likes having a companion now!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she was feral, she is probably used to having other cats around. She may be lonely and will enjoy having a friend. Just a thought.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Since she was feral, she is probably used to having other cats around. She may be lonely and will enjoy having a friend. Just a thought.
you may find that she becomes more friendly towards you after you get him. but it'll probably take awhile for her to adjust. unless he's very dominant, tho, i'm sure she will do just fine.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should work out in most cases. I had Emily, a female, as an only cat for 4 years when we decided to adopt Chessy last summer, a 5 year old male. We kept them separated for 2-3 weeks while we went through the introduction process and they get along very well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the new cat is a male you should be fine. I recommend a male if the resident cat is female, becuase with all my experience - females tend to accept a male faster then another female.

Just do the normal introductions slowly (there are threads in here about how to introduce cats).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

As long as the new cat is a male you should be fine. I recommend a male if the resident cat is female, becuase with all my experience - females tend to accept a male faster then another female.

Just do the normal introductions slowly (there are threads in here about how to introduce cats).
here's a link to the article Mary Ann wrote...
I'd Like You To Meet...

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know some feel that males will intimidate females, but it's not always the case. My cat (also a big male) seems to prefer females... he just loves female cats. Sometimes they get tired of him trying to sit next to them or sniff them, and they'll swipe at him... but he just tries again the next day.

buddy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

This isn't really a reply but I thought my question would suit this thread and if any-one can help out that would be great. I bought a beautiful little kitten from the RSPCA about 6 weeks ago and my older female cat who is 11 just can't stand him. He runs up to her, she hisses (which I've never seen her do before) and sometimes the now 14 week old kitten even tries to jump on her! I have their food in separate corners of the kitchen but she doesn't want to even be in the same room as him. Will they eventually like each other or sit near each other without this fighting (or pretend fighting)?

Cheers
buddy1

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Buddy1

Hi

This isn't really a reply but I thought my question would suit this thread and if any-one can help out that would be great. I bought a beautiful little kitten from the RSPCA about 6 weeks ago and my older female cat who is 11 just can't stand him. He runs up to her, she hisses (which I've never seen her do before) and sometimes the now 14 week old kitten even tries to jump on her! I have their food in separate corners of the kitchen but she doesn't want to even be in the same room as him. Will they eventually like each other or sit near each other without this fighting (or pretend fighting)?

Cheers
buddy1
check out the link i posted earlier. slow intros lead to better results. but they'll learn to at least tolerate each other, most probably, regardless of whether you introduce them 'properly' or not. part of the problem is kittens are so high-energy & a senior cat just doesn't have the patience to deal with them. if you got a 2nd kitten, [assuming that's doable] you would see much happier cats.