This is one of the major reasons why I want to feed raw..

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, since there's been a number of threads, and I seem to be posting while attempting not to "colorize" my posts to sway people to my point of view (which, hopefully I'm succeeding at, to some degree)...

That being said.. I open admit that two of the four kitties in the household are still on dry (just switched them to Innova Evo from years of cheaper commercial foods, in the hope that we will get a taste for raw..). Noel has long been the poster child for Meow Mix. Eight years spent screaming at me that *anything* not Meow Mix in her dish was unacceptable..until she got a taste of Pro Plan a few months ago..but, desperate times, desperate measures, and Evo it is currently while we integrate wet into the diet.

I also openly admit here, that most of my information is coming from pro-raw, pro-natural websites, so I will agree that it is potentially leaning to one side. But having said that, I know no manufacturer is ever going to admit to these things, and since some of the websites and research on them is done by vets, they seem to be well-educated.

If anyone knows of any other sites that argues the "this doesn't really go into pet foods" side of this, please let me know, because I'd actually like to see some varying points of view, or know what commercial foods are actually good, and actually use human grade ingredients. The only guidelines I can find for pet food and human grade ingredients is from the fda on raw commercial food diets.. which are required to use human grade supplies, and preparation guidelines.

Anyway, this is up for discussion.. people, please jump on your bandwagons.. I *really* want to pick all of your brains.

Here's the first one:
http://www.felineinstincts.com/succe...petfoods2.html

The 2nd and 3rd are links from the first, so no need to go to them directly if you read the attached links to the bottom of the first.

http://www.felineinstincts.com/succe...tfoodsann.html

http://www.felineinstincts.com/succe...ringplant.html

And an interesting one about samonella/bacterial concerns.. although off topic. http://www.njboxers.com/Question.htm

And this is just a spattering.. I didn't dig up the other sites that support this either, since it's a bit crazy here today (still at work, and been compiling this and reading in my spare time).

Ugh, I hate to think that I've been feeding this to my babies for all my life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found this one additionally, which I thought might be helpful..

It lists what to make sure dry foods *don't* have.. as well as some of the better quality commercial foods, etc. And it's written by a vet who supports a raw diet, so I feel better about his opinion than if it was written by the manufacturer. Phew, man, I was getting all worked up, hehe.

This at least, brings a bit of relief, although.. it still wasn't what my cats were getting

http://www.homeovet.net/content/lifestyle/section1.html

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Found this one additionally, which I thought might be helpful..

It lists what to make sure dry foods *don't* have.. as well as some of the better quality commercial foods, etc. And it's written by a vet who supports a raw diet, so I feel better about his opinion than if it was written by the manufacturer. Phew, man, I was getting all worked up, hehe.

This at least, brings a bit of relief, although.. it still wasn't what my cats were getting

http://www.homeovet.net/content/lifestyle/section1.html
I am playing a bit of devils advocate...

His info is actually far from on the mark ... so I wouldnt use that as a resource since there are plenty with solid info .he is recommending raw fish??? and advocating Soy ??? PLEASSSEEEE right there I no longer trust .. See anything attacking another way of thinking without the EVIDENCE is bogus IMHO .... Yes some foods may contain the 4 Ds but that VAST majority dare I say 90% dont ... It is VERY OUTDATED info and can be debunked by a simple google search

The best info is from those who ARE NOT profitting in any way
.... many vet university studies are third party and thus fairly realiable ....

I will happily send you some good info and fairly unbiased books

When I use a pet supplement for the raw ( amazingly my vet sells it but said I likely will not need it and continue the human ones
) I do use Feline insticts it is very solid and I like NO VEGGIE matter or things I cant logically explain being in a raw supplement

here is the TRUTH ... For Nearly 100 yrs commercial cat has been made ... In this time cats lifespans have tripled ( NOT JUST from food but can you seriusly say food has nothing to do with it??? ) .... Animals today are healthier due to the science of the foods ( EVAN the JUNK is more balenced than what many folks feed them) advacnes in medical care.... Yes EVAN RAW diets have made advances which makes them a great option if you can do it ... Otherwise dont beat yourself up about feeding commercial food that may not be great...lol.. Kandie ate JUNK wet and dry for 13 yrs till I learned about better foods and then raw /homemade ... She was quite healthy and happy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's definitely healthy, but I just can't bear the thought of that happening.

Yeah, the last one.. the holistic vet.. is overboard too, but he did give a good list of things to look for in foods, I thought, which is why I put him in there... that and what foods don't participate.. so it makes me feel a little better, even though Noel has stolidly demanded Meow Mix and then Pro Plan ...

If you know of some books, let me know. I have one that I'm going to get.. I sent myself the link from work but I don't remember right off what it was.. I will try to get them and read more about it.