Kitty Static Electricty?

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else have a kitty with a static problem? For some reason Bean has been soo staticky lately. He rolls around on the floor or the couch, and I can't help but laugh, his hair will be standing on end due to the static. Then the poor thing will touch something and I'll hear a loud "pop" as he gets a shock from all the static he's carrying around.
I can't even tell you how many static shocks I get from him in a day.
I've never had this happen with my other kitties though. Does anyone else here have a kitty with a static problem?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats and I have our own electric connection too

Run a humidifier, that seems to help us here.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the very dry heated air does it.
In the winter, I give each kitty a quick wipe down with a fresh, unscented dryer sheet.

Keeping a humidifier or aquarium or tabletop fountain (or pet fountain), helps reduce a lot of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Run a humidifier, that seems to help us here.
I hadn't thought of that. That would probably help alot.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A tiny (read: TINY) drop of olive oil helps. Just rub a small amound over their fur and the static goes away for awhile. Plus their coats get nice and shiny and soft. Mine love having it done and spend the next half hour grooming themselves, I suppose because they've never tasted so good before!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do I do!! at night I can actually see the flashes when I'm petting them at bedtime, the best is when they go to touch noses with me and shock the heck out of both of us

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had this happen to us a few times. Villy usually turns round and looks at me like 'ow meowmy that hurt - why did you do that!'

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh so do mine! Especially Sophie with her long hair. She looks like a dirt magnet, because all sorts of "little things" cling to her and she has no idea!