Taking A Cat Back

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those of you who have adopted from a shelter or rescue, have you ever gotten an animal and known very early that the arrangement would not work out in your home? How soon did you know? Did you keep the animal trying to work it out or did you give it back?
I'm dealing with this situation right now, I got two cats this past Tuesday (I had a few visits with them before taking them home) and one of which I really believe I won't be able to care for her the way she needs to. This is hard for me 'cause I the type of person who doesn't like to give up and usually presses through. I honestly feel like if I keep this cat things she will won't improve and things will get worse for me and the other cat. I'm seriously considering bringing her back (I got her from a no-kill shelter). Anyone been through this?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I can't offer any great advice, but I'm sure someone will be around soon who can.
It might be helpful to know what exactly the problems you're having with this cat are. How old is she? Do you have any existing pets in your household? Any details you could provide would help us to understand your situation.

It must be really rough to be going through this and I hope that everything sorts itself out soon.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never returned a cat, but working at a shelter I did have to deal with this on occasion when an adopter felt it couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t work out, realized they werenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t ready or changed their mind. One thing I would strongly encourage you to do is contact the organization you adopted her from and see what advice they can offer on your situation- a majority of the time I believe we could have offered advice or insight that could have made a difference.

This site is also a wonderful resource if you could provide some more information on what the issue is- please don't hesitate to ask!

I hope everything works out for the best for you and your cats.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat had all kinds of behavioral and health problems for a few months after I got him from the shelter. I agonized over whether to keep him, so I know it's not a fun situation to be in.

But looking back now I can see that he was completely shocked and terrified, either because of the new environment, his old environment or his time in the shelter. His personality and behavior were all over the place. The adjustment took time, and now he's very happy... and I'm still surprised by new affectionate behaviors that pop up, a year later.

I don't think you can know anything about who this cat really is or will be after only four days. I'd give it at least a month or two, and then after that see if you still want to give the cat back. Then you'll know you gave it the college try.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't mind us prying, would you care to elaborate on the issues? I'm sure everyone here is more than willing to try to help in any way we can. I also agree that it would be a good idea to contact the recue you got the cats from to see what advice they can offer.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor girl hasn't even had a chance to get settled in yet, please give her more time.

As others said, if you want to tell us exactly what the problem is maybe someone can offer advice on what's best to do.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The poor girl hasn't even had a chance to get settled in yet, please give her more time.

As others said, if you want to tell us exactly what the problem is maybe someone can offer advice on what's best to do.
Please give us some details, we may be able to help.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are here to help if we can.
But as others have pointed out, unless you're able to share what the problems are, we can't really provide much advice.

I am sorry you're going through this. Cats are sensitive, intelligent, emotional, and territory-oriented. Any change is very traumatic and does take time.

Laurie

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My hubby and I joke that every time we bring a new pet home, we go through the 'what on earth have we done?!?!?!?!?!?' phase. A few months later, we go through the 'it feels like they have always lived with us, and they're the best pet in the whole world', phase.

In my experience, the first few weeks (at least) with a new pet can be rather stressful, and even downright miserable (both for the new pet, and for you).

I agree with everyone else who has posted -- without more detail on the exact nature of the problem it's hard to say whether or not your new kitty will be a good fit for your home. In general though, it's definitely worth persisting with a new pet -- they often do need a fair amount of time and patience to settle in to their new home/routine.

carriedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't been through taking an animal back to where it came from, but I am dealing with a situation that is stressing out all of us... moving my 3 cats and me into my boyfriend's home with a geriatric cat that absolutely HATES other cats. I keep getting feelings of wanting to give up, find a new home. I get stressed. I've cried. But day by day I keep doing this, determined to make it work. I don't know your situation. But good luck and I hope the best for you and you're cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even though it's only been a few days there is so much to tell. I adopted two cats Tara and Frenchie. When I first came to the shelter me and Tara hit it off right away and we are doing great. Tara is one and full of kitten energy w/o the biting and tearing up tendencies of a kitten. The other cat I picked Tiki was also 1 but more laid back but she got taken by someone else so when I came back to pick another cat I choose Frenchie. Frenchie is very cuddley she is 2 years old but she has 1 eye (birth defect) and she's overweight. Frenchie and I get along good but she will not play. She will follow them with he eye but she won't get up and play with them (and I have brought/made a ton). She's just content to be rubbed and sleep all day. The first day I brought them home I was prepared for them to be hiding under the bed but they stayed under the bed for 5 minutes and then ventured out to inspect my bedroom. Both immediately wanted me to pet them but they kept hissing at each other. The shelter told me that they had kept them in the same cage for a few days after I picked Frenchie and there had been some hissing and swatting put they said it would die down. That first night I had to break up a couple of near fights. I couldn't sleep with them in the bedroom 'cause of the hissing so I separated them and have been rotating them between my bedroom and bathroom all week. Tara just wants to play with Frenchie and since I got the Feliway diffuser Thurs she is even more curious and wants to play. Frenchie I really believe hates Tara, I've back up from putting one cat in a carrier and letting the other inspect (Frenchie always hisses, but Tara is curious and will approach but she has stopped hissing defensively). I was putting each one's favorite snacks underneath my bedroom door (there is about a two inch gap) with one cat on each side and at first they would eat their treats. Now Frenchie won't even come to the door (and I was in the hallway w/ Frenchie) and eat her treats. And I hadn't feed her yet. Truthfully I'm starting to like Tara more than Frenchie. I'm starting to think that Frenchie needs to be the only cat, she really scared of everything I brought catnip bubbles and she is scared of the bubbles. I think she may have been hit with a broom before 'cause when I go to sweep up the room she hides under the bed, I have to move very slowly with the broom or she flees. I really feel like Tara needs a rough and tumble buddy to play with ('cause I truly can't keep with all of her energy) and Frenchies never going to be that and Tara has atleast a year or two of play left in her. I can't afford and don't have the space for a third cat. I haven't even gotten them used to the rest of the apartment because of the room switching etc. I just don't want to keep Frenchie for a few months and then if she continues to hate Tara and Tara begins to get fearful or mean because of it then I have to give her back but Frenchie has now bonded to me and the good food (do you know she has already stopped eating dry food, only canned premium for this spoiled princess). I feel better and less stressed especially since the cats have started to understand that you can not play with mommy when she is sleeping at night. However I just really feel like I should give Frenchie back. I talked with the lady who did my home visit at the shelter and she's just like spray Frenchie with a water bottle when she hisses (she didn't even suggest separating them) but I don't like the water bottle 'cause she already scared and I hate disciplining her with clapping and saying "No" 'cause it scares her. Tara gets alarmed but she's not scared when I discipline. I know the Feliway is working because both of the cats purring has greatly increased (Tara purrs just by looking at me now and Frenchie has started to purr when previously she didn't) but Frenchie still doesn't like Tara. Thoughts?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have decided that you don't like Frenchie, and therefore whatever she does will look bad to you, and that's life - you're not always going to like everyone. Just find a no-kill place (or the original one) to take her, or even better put an ad in the paper saying she needs to be in a one cat home, but is otherwise a nice cat who possibly needs a bit of a diet.

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guilty admitting it but I don't like her as much as Tara. I'm trying but why should I have to try to like my own cat. I need to love both of my cats equally and at this point I don't. I'm going to talk to my home visit lady and the shelter today. Maybe with in the week we can make arrangements.

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I called the lady who did my home visit and her opinion is that the cats will never get used to each other if I continue to separate them. She says just use a squirt bottle on Frenchie etc I expressed my concerns about not making the right choice for Tara w/ Frenchie and she like she and her hubby are going to come by today and check things out.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you need to be honest with this lady and tell her that your feelings aren't the same about the cats, not just that the cats don't get along. It seems a shame to keep Frenchie under less than ideal circumstances when she might have a better life somewhere else.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the home visit person is a bit misguided in her opinion that they will never get used to each other when separated - you aren't going to be doing it forever. I personally think you need to give them both a lot longer, i tell people at least a month, as it has only been days, and they have to get used to new humans, a new house and a new friend, and it is just too soon to tell. When I fostered Annie (Sar's Annie) last year, she was really quiet when she first came (admittedly she had just been spayed), I was surprised as I had been told she was the opposite - a week later however, she had turned into an incredibly playful cat, so Frenchie could change given time to adjust.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Others' experiences may vary, but I've found that it's often the cats that are harder to "connect with" initially that make the best friends for me later on.

I'm not finding the right words today...but hopefully you know what I mean.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait, it has only been 4 days or so right? I have cats who have been together for years and still hiss at each other occasionally. It can take a month or so AT LEAST before coming to a conclusion that your cats *hate* each other. But honestly, they don't even seem to hate each other. One wants to play with the other and the older one doesn't so she hisses and probably swats. That is what cats do when they want to be left alone. If they were tearing each other to shreads then I would say they hate each other. They haven;t even drawn blood from each other have they?

I just think it is way too soon. And that is awful of the shelter lady to say she doesn't think they will ever get along. And then she suggests to squirt her with water? How does she think cats tell each other to leave them alone? They hiss. You can't punish a cat for that, just give them more time.

But if YOU don't like her then that is another story. She doesn't deserve to be in a home where her owner doesn't even like her. Rehome her for that reason, not because she doesn't get along with your cat.

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the case is solved, they are both definitely my cats 'cause they made me look real stupid when the home visit lady came. I let them out to be around each other w/o some in a carrier or giving anyone treats. Do you know Frenchie barely hissed and Tara would just walk away and then come back 5 minutes later, like "So do you wanna play now?" we were both able to both cats and they were only inches away from each other? Those two had this planned all along I bet you. The lady and her hubby were reasurring, saying that Frenchie has probably had a hard life and was neglected and she'll start to calm down and she'll probably be playful. I told them that I like Tara more and they kinda just brushed it off like, they'll get along and be friends but it's up to you. I'm going to wait and see about Frenchie, maybe I'll grow to like her more as she comes out of her shell, but I definitely think she is a bit of a Princess. You know she must get her beauty sleep and doesn't want to be bothered with the peasents! I'll call her Princess Frenchie from now on. Thank you for the encouragement and talking me down. I definitely think the first few days I was stressed thinking "What have I gotten myself into?" between the new responsiblity and the not sleeping since the first few nights the kitties didn't understand that "mommy's don't play after midnight" really contributed to the second thoughts. That's for let me vent and not being too hard on me (some of you guys are tough though). I've got few pictures I'll attach pardon my really old digital camera.